“nice one night stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #80 of 141 hotels in Columbus
Salem, Ohio
“nice one night stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

My husband and I booked a night here because we were in town for a concert at the Bluestone which is walking distance from the Holiday Inn. If you mention you are going to Bluestone, they will give you a discounted rate. Very nice! We booked the hotel and were happy that we did because we are members of their program and never had a bad experience at a Holiday inn, however after reading reviews, I was very skeptical. The reviews were not all very nice, I almost cancelled but decided not to. I was happy to find that it was fine and I wasn't disappointed. Our main thing when booking a hotel is cleanliness. The lobby was nice and welcoming. We checked in with ( Joe) a very friendly and helpful staff member. He made you feel very welcomed and answered all of our questions we had about the area. We got to our room and I thought the bedroom looked spacious and the bed was very nicely made. I will say though that the carpet ( although no stains...yeah) was worn a bit. You could tell it was old. The wallpaper was in need of a good cleaning , it was also a bit worn (especially in the bathroom!). I can't say it was dirty and I didn't really feel uncomfortable, but I would say its time to update some things like carpet and wallpaper because you can tell it was quite old and stains on the wallpaper was a bit "yucky". We love staying at Holiday Inns , this one must have been one of the older ones we have stayed at. The shower was nice, great water pressure. My husband and I both used the fitness center. Although it is quite small, we both got our workout in and enjoyed the room. We were the only ones in there so even though the equipment was limited , we didn't have a problem. We didn't use the pool but did check it out and it looked very clean and kept up. We had breakfast in the morning. We didn't get the buffet but ordered off the menu and the food was very enjoyable! I am not a breakfast person but I loved their food and had a wonderful waitress! Would we stay here again? We probably would . Great staff, ideal location, great breakfast and decent room, just needs updated and a probably could use a little TLC.

Room Tip: Had a standard room and it was spacious!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Tom F, Manager at Holiday Inn Columbus Downtown Capital Square, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Christa H,

Thank you so much for your review of the Holiday Inn Columbus Downtown. We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay. Please allow us to host your next visit to Columbus, Ohio.

Broderick Cook
Business Development Manager

178 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Cambridge, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel over the passed weekend (04/21 to 04/23) for a cheerleading competition. The hotel rooms could use an update. Very basic rooms that look somewhat worn down. The bathroom needs the most attention due to mold.
The staff were very friendly and helpful, however they are understaffed. They do try their hardest and overall I'd say I was pleasantly surprised by the superior level of customer service.
I have no idea what is going on with the restaurant. Again, I think they are understaffed. They were friendly and conscientious, however, easily overwhelmed. Possibly it's the kitchen staff causing this problem. We attempted to eat there one evening around 9pm. The hostess told us that she could seat us, but our orders would likely take an hour or an hour and a half to come from the kitchen. The restaurant had a few customers, but it certainly wasn't packed. We went elsewhere.
We also tried to order room service at one point. Again, we were told that our order would take an hour or two to arrive. We went out for food again. In all instances staff were very apologetic. It's unfortunate that the restaurant is not managed properly or that the kitchen staff has trouble keeping up.

• Stayed February 2014
IvyBean22,

Thank you for your comments regarding our property. We are very fortunate for your comments, as it helps our staff provide the best possible customer experience. On behalf of the restaurant, we do apologize about the service you received during your stay. I have forwarded your comments to the appropriate departments for their further evaluation. Thank you so much for your comments and for your stay with us. Please feel free to contact me at the hotel directly if you have any additional comments.

Broderick Cook
Business Development Manager
Sylvania, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

While the customer services staff was very friendly and attempted to help out as much as possible. There were some issues. The room was clean, however, paint was chipped and in some spots starting to come off. We ate dinner at the hotel our first night there and the server was nice but we had to wait very long to receive our food, despite very few people being in the dining area. The food looked (and tasted) like it had been sitting under a heat lamp for several hours. We asked for pickles and when they came, they looked dried out and not at all fresh. On Saturday morning we had to be at another hotel at 7:15am for a dance convention and were really happy about there being a shuttle. We arrived down in the lobby at 6:50 but at 7:10, the shuttle driver had still not arrived. We ended up having to walk/run the .5 mile distance in the freezing cold and fresh snow. Overall, not an excellent experience and definitely not what would be my expectation of the Holiday Inn.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Columbus Downtown Capital Square, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Dear Danielle S,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the food selections prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
Ann Arbor, MI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

Good location with plenty of parking however I was disappointed in the quality of the hotel. Had to plug my laptop into the bathroom as the outlets were old and not very accessible. Bed was pretty comfortable but decor was dated in the room, bathroom and in the hallways. I probably would pay more to stay somewhere nicer next time. They do have tons of rooms though. Also I was a bit miffed that the restaurant charges for coffee (I like real half and half).

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Columbus Downtown Capital Square, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
Dear AdrienneAnnArbor_MI,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review about your experience. We truly regret to see the layout of the room prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We appreciate the high scores for Cleanliness and Sleep Quality. We take all of the reviews we receive very seriously as they allow us to identify areas that may benefit from additional attention. We have shared your comments with our staff to ensure a more positive experience for you and our future guests.

Adrian D
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

Location is obviously good being downtown. The hotel itself is a bit shabby and tired. But the biggest problem is the air system, they are old and often don't work right. You might get one that won't turn off or blows only warm air, etc. The filters desperately need cleaning, don't open the cover and look unless you're brave. I recommend checking your system before you get too comfortable.

Room Tip: Ensure your air conditioner works before you get all unpacked. A lot of them don't.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Columbus Downtown Capital Square, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Dear west5er,

Ben J
Burton on Trent, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

We booked in advance for 2 nights at this central location. It turned out to be a fairly standard affair for a Holiday Inn. The internal décor is getting a little tired and the venue could do with a little livening up. However, the room was clean and quiet, apart from the fire engines from the nearby fire station. The beds very comfortable and there were 75 channels available on the TV in case of boredom.
Breakfast in the restaurant was very good and service was fine. I thought it was a bit rich to charge 10 bucks per day for the car park, but if everywhere else charges then I suppose its fair. Handy for downtown areas and the river front as well as a number of bars and restaurants.

Room Tip: The hotel is the centre of a block so there are no quiet rooms. The views on the north side are bet...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Columbus Downtown Capital Square, responded to this review, January 18, 2014
Dear Ian B,

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate the kind remarks on our room accommodations and happy to read you enjoyed breakfast. I apologize if the hotel decor and atmosphere did not live up to your expectations. Your comments will be forwarded to the ownership of the hotel to take into consideration for future upgrades.

Again, thank you for your valuable review. I hope if you get back to the area, you will consider staying at our hotel again.

Zelyn N
The OC, Orange County, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

My wife and I attended a concert of Beatles tributes bands one night in Columbus, Ohio. Her sister-in-law found this hotel for us to stay during the night as it was close to the venue. I've traveled for business for many years before starting this account and I think I enjoyed this hotel more than many fancy ones I've been to. The room was clean. The only thing wrong is that I'm a plus sized person and the room did not have a comfortable chair for me to sit in. The desk chair was very uncomfortable. Otherwise, the staff were very good, especially the wait people in the restaurant. Wish I had spent more time there, depending if they had a comfortable chair.

Room Tip: I never remember to ask in advance for a comfortable chair. Try it if you need one.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Holiday Inn Columbus Downtown Capital Square? Share your experiences!