“Ohio State Stay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #82 of 142 Hotels in Columbus
Monroe
“Ohio State Stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

We stayed for at this hotel for Parents Weekend at Ohio State. The room was just OK it really needed updating, the bed was hard and not very comfortable.The staff at the hotel and the restaurant was fantastic. They were very friendly and helpful. The ice machine on our floor was not working but again the helpful staff was so great to get us a giant bag of ice!. The snack machines would not work so I was traveling from floor to floor to get a snack. The next morning we ate breakfast at the hotel and the staff there was fun, friendly and we received great service.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Tom F, Manager at Holiday Inn Columbus Downtown Capital Square, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
777Donna777,

Thank you so much for your comments regarding our facility. They are very much appreciated. We are so happy you enjoyed the service and quality in our restaurant as we take great strides to make sure we are providing the very best customer experience. Please consider us on your next trip to Columbus, Ohio.

Business Development Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Philadelphia, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Situated close to the most desirable districts in Columbus. We walked everywhere from this hotel: German Village, Arena District, Short North, etc. Rooms are in good shape but a bit tight. Rooms appear to have been updated not too long ago and overall the hotel, furnishings, bedding and towels are well maintained and in nice shape. Very helpful and courteous employees based upon interactions with front desk, maintenance staff and house keeping. One note: breakfast buffet was HORRENDOUS. Food was old, dry, barely warm. Do yourself a favor - find somewhere else to eat breakfast.

Room Tip: You should note that the elevators here are not in any way separate from the main hallway. There ar...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
wjstpb,

Thank you so much for your comments regarding our facility. We definitely appreciate the feedback that we receive from all of our guests. We are very pleased that you enjoyed the convenience of our location and that the staff was courteous and attentive to your needs during your stay. However, I do apologize about the experience you had in our restaurant. We strive to make sure our breakfast is satisfactory to all of our guests. And the fact that we did not live up to your expectations, deserves our sincerest apologies. I have forwarded your comments about the restaurant service to the appropriate department for further evaluation. Thank you once again for your comments regarding our property.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

Never stay here again. Food appeared ok but very expensive. Charged for parking. No shuttle to airport on our trip. Rooms super small. Very outdated. Tv worked. Exercise facilities limited. Pool appeared nice

• Stayed October 2013
Tom F, Manager at Holiday Inn Columbus Downtown Capital Square, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Tzatziki5,

Thank you so much for your comments regarding your stay at our property. They are greatly appreciated and we use them to better service our guests. We do apologize that your stay was not up to your regular standards. We work very dilligently to provide the best guest experience and we do apologize that we were not able to meet your expectations. If you do have any further questions or concerns regarding your stay, please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel to address these issues. Thank you once again for your comments and for staying with us.

Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

I checked on the evening of October 19, 2013. I was given a connecting room and I don't like these as they are not as secure. I called the front desk and asked if they had another room available. I was told she would have to look into it and call me back. After not receiving a call back after awhile, I decided to just schlep my bags downstairs to the lobby. I asked if she was able to find another room and was greeted with a very confrontational reply. She stared me down and explained that 'yes' they had another room but I would just have to wait and went on to lecture me and the inconveniences of switching rooms. I was a bit shocked at her attitude as I was being completely courteous myself, I didn't think it was that big of a deal to change rooms. I think this person would be better suited to be in law enforcement than customer service. I forget her entire name, but it began with 'Lou...' something like that.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
west5er,

Thank you so much for your comments regarding our hotel and for your stay in our property. We really do appreciate the feedback you provided regarding your stay. I do apologize about the inconvenience you had regarding your room. We work very hard in training our staff to provide the best customer service experience and I apologize on behalf our hotel that the customer service did not meet your expectations. I have forwarded your comments to the appropriate department for their further evaluation. Please contact me directly at the hotel if you have any further questions or comments regarding your stay. Thank you once again for your comments.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

My niece booked a suite on Hotels.com for my daughters bachelorette party(Oct.12,2013). She was given a king room. I called 2xs the week of to assure we got a renovated room, going on reviews that there were only several floors recently renovated.
The staff was very nice during calls and our stay. I did confirm the free breakfast on both calls and the night if the stay.
My daughter went for breakfast and found it was a restaraunt and there was NO FREE BREAKFAST!!!
The website at Trip Advisor and Holiday Inn both stated free breakfast whether booked online or by phone.
I stay at HI very often. Mostly in Lancaster, Ohio (which always get an A++++). I hate to give bad reviews,especially when 95% of the stay and service is fabulous! But this is an unacceptable situation. I don't know how this can be rectified , but, I expect it to be.
I have 3 nights reserved in October for my daughters wedding. At this point I am considering canceling these reservations and any future ones if this isn't taken care of.
Now, other than that, the room was nice. The night superintendent was wonderful and so sweet and helpful. But, not providing a free breakfast, when promised, is not right. If u don't care about that then go for it!
I do have to mention there was a strong urine smell in the hallway on the 10th floor.

• Stayed October 2013
Crabbymoon,

Thank you so much for your responses and for staying with us. Your comments are greatly appreciated. We are glad you enjoyed your room and that the staff was friendly and attentive to your needs. However, we do apologize about the miscommunication about our breakfast policy. At this property, we do not offer free breakfast. Breakfast can be provided to you during your stay if a breakfast rate is booked or if it is paid for separately at the hotel. The policy can be seen on tripadvisor.com and holidayinn.com in the amenities section. We do apologize about the confusion. Thank you once again for your stay and for your comments.

Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We stayed at this Holiday Inn for my son's wedding. The hotel was excellent. From Kevin the nice waiter at the restaurant to Otis the shuttle driver every employee did their best to help us have a great stay. Even though they were in the middle of renovating the customer service was the best. Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Judy S,

Thank you so much for your comments and for staying with us. We are very happy you enjoyed your stay with Holiday Inn Columbus Downtown. We strive to make sure that we provide our guests with the best customer service to provide the best guest experience. Please consider us again on your next trip to Columbus, Ohio.

Worcester, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

I must say I found my room to be quite comfortable. The staff was attentive and friendly, and called me right away to ask if the room was satisfying. There is ample parking if you come with a car, but I find this hotel to be uneven. Some things work beautifully and other are in need of improvement.

The hotel is located downtown but it is right by the bus terminal, which is probably not the most charming block in town. You have to walk a few blocks to find a decent restaurant, which, I guess, is good for your health. The internet is free but comes in and out. I thought the restaurant was the worst. The service was friendly, but the food was not fresh. They offer a breakfast buffet, but I found mold on the bread, and I could not eat my fruit salad because it tasted like vinegar. I had to return it.

In general, I think this hotel is fine for a weekend. It does have a pool, a decent gym and a business center. It also offers a van service if you need to be driven somewhere.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Tom F, Manager at Holiday Inn Columbus Downtown Capital Square, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
suitcase63,

Thank you so much for your comments regarding our hotel. We always appreciate feedback to help our staff provide the best experience for our guests. Please accept our apologies regarding the experience you received in our restaurant. We make a conscious effort to strive for the best within all areas of our hotel and we apologize that we were not able to meet your expectations. I have forwarded your comments to the appropriate departments for further evaluation. Once again, thank you for your comments and for staying with us.

Business Development Manager

Been to Holiday Inn Columbus Downtown Capital Square? Share your experiences!