“Perfect Choice for a Downtown Columbus Visit” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #85 of 140 Hotels in Columbus
Philadelphia
“Perfect Choice for a Downtown Columbus Visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

I am writing this review from the Holiday Inn using the free wi-fi, and I really can't say better things

THE GOOD
- The airport shuttle was quite convenient, but unlike in busier cities you should plan to call for it
- The shuttle drivers will also transport you to local destinations--I think that's just awesome.
- My room is incredibly clean and reasonably sized. I read another reviewer describe it as "dated". I don't know if they have upgraded since then, but I have the exact opposite view. The cherry wood furniture has clean lines and a modern look, my LG flat screen TV is... well, an LG flat screen
- Free wi-fi! I mentioned this before, but it is worth repeating. Many hotels offer free wi-fi in public spaces, but having it in your room is so much nicer.
- The staff is quite friendly. I was able to check in very early and upon request the driver gave me a list destinations AND a mini tour of the area to point out the areas he mentioned.
- The location is in the heart of downtown, so unless you didn't WANT to be in the heart of downtown, this location is perfect! I walked around the corner to a hot dog joint called Dirty Frank's which I recommend.

THE NOT-SO-GOOD
- I cannot comment on the food because upon my arrival the restaurant was closed. It is open for breakfast and dinner, no lunch.
- This is extremely minor, but when I walked into my room it was absolutely frigid. I turned the heat on and I was a-okay.

Overall, I really could not recommend this place more.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Grant B, Manager at Holiday Inn Columbus Downtown Capital Square, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
karlajamaica,

Thank you so much for your comments. They are greatly appreciated. I am very glad that you found our staff to be friendly and found your room nice and comfortable during your stay. If you are ever visiting the area again, please consider our hotel as your destination. Once again, thank you for commenting and for staying with us.

Broderick Cook
Business Development Manager
614.242.3908

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Stafford, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Definitely not the best Holiday inn I've stayed in. Very tired decor and customer service poor. Better staying at one on the Holiday Inn expresses or the Crowne Plaza. Tried to get room service breakfast but waited over an hour and was then told it would be another 30 mins+. Staff unhelpful and not enough staff in the dining room, If you want to stay downtown the Crowne plaza where I stayed last time was great.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Columbus Downtown Capital Square, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear Moomin_Baggins,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns regarding your stay with us. Please accept our sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay and we regret our hotel did not live up to your expectations. It is also disappointing you found the hotel decor and level of staff service less than satisfactory. We have taken note of your valuable comments, all the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve, as these enables us to target problem areas and take actions accordingly.

Again, thank you for staying with us and providing us with a candid feedback. If there is anything we can do to make your next stay more comfortable, please do not hesitate to ask the Manager on Duty.

Zelyn N
Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Clean, friendly staff, doesn't stink.

Now that I've gotten that out of the way. The hotel is old, the food service is down to a bare bones staff and I believe that the manager was the waitress as well. The elevators are a bit creepy, and most of all THERE IS NO CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST.

So, my boyfriend and I suffered through the a la carte menu the first morning and got on with our day, but the second morning we had to ask what was up. Upon a call to the front desk it was told that the breakfast only takes place at an "Express".... so let's get this straight, a full service hotel has less than the motel brand of the same label?? How's that the case? Not even for pay... Not even as advertised in the in-room menu for $7.99/person

We got a helluva Hotwire deal, so for the money we spent, we chose not to complain, but when I woke up and saw the regular price to stay, I felt a duty to inform my fellow consumers... DO SOMETHING ELSE if you're not staying on a hotwire deal.

Room Tip: Even numbers face the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Columbus Downtown Capital Square, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear Margaret E,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn around. It sounds like we fell below your expectations. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Adrian D
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

The Wife and I stayed at this hotel last week and were quite pleased. We wanted to stay close to the Arena District without the Arena District price. Our room was clean and spacious. The staff was very friendly. It is only 1.5 miles away from the Arena District. We enjoyed our stay and would stay there again when we visit Columbus again.

• Stayed May 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

Took a girl road trip to Columbus for Rock on the Range. Last minute planning.. We wanted to book a cheap notel by the venue so we could cab, leave separately if we wanted, etc.. We get there.. The hotel was closed. No idea why Travelocity was still booking rooms there. We were running late.. So I decide to hop on the wonderful ihg site. Using points + 40 we booked the last ihg hotel that had rooms in Columbus. As we were booking.. Car, after car, after car.. All pulling in. I was on the phone with priority club at this time and the lady heard me telling people to go to the Holiday Inn.

She put a notation in our reservation to upgrade us to a suite. I have platinum status.. But I think it had to do with the whole advertising to fellow concert goers in the parking lot.

We get to the hotel and find Heather at the front desk.

Heather deserves a raise and whatever else Heather wants!!

She checked us in so quickly. Upgraded us to a suite. Ordered a rollaway bed. (Three of us.) she comped our parking for day 2. She gave us the 2pm check out. She lowered our rate for the second day. She was so polite and got us in so quick.. My friends were in a rush to get over there. I could have waited until sunset, but they wanted to see the bands that played at 3pm.

Heather is the nicest front desk person that I have ever encountered. I rarely write reviews.. I am 35 and this is probably my 5th ever.. But Heather deserves it.

She greeted me by name every time I walked by.

Our waitress at the restaurant was rad too. Very attentive. Made sure that we had all that we needed, etc.

Thank you Priority Club for saving our weekend!!!

• Stayed May 2013
Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

This is a hard one.

Parking - outside, gated lot.

Check in - quick. Very polite. Very helpful.

Room - cracked/patched ceiling in the bathroom, initials written on the wall behind the bathroom door, porcelain wearing off the tub, peeling wallpaper in the room as well as the entire hallway.

On site restaurant:
- dinner - crappy waitress. I turned over the coffee cup to find an orange rind and used sugar packet so we changed tables and she seemed put out by it. Took about 10 minutes to bring us drinks and never refilled or even checked on them. After the terrible service I wasn't expecting much but the food was very good and I don't think it was just because we were hungry after a day hiking in Hocking Hills.
- breakfast - Great waitress and a decent selection of hot items as well as cereals on the buffet. Again, very good food.

Pool - very small and how just 10 kids and a couple teens can be so loud is beyond reason. When we saw the size of the pool we opted to just sit on the side while our daughter swam.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Columbus Downtown Capital Square, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear shantikay,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am pleased to note that you had a quick check in and I am glad that you liked our breakfast selections.

However, I would like to offer my sincerest apologies for the poor expereince and service issues you had in our restaurant. Additionally, I am truly sorry if our rooms fell below your standards. We value your comments as they help us to improve our services and maintain the very high standards of service our guests expect.

Your comments are important to the success of our organization, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. We value you as a guest and we hope this incident will not deter you from giving us another opportunity in the future.

Dhan M
Dexter, MI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Overall, a pretty mediocre place to stay. We stayed here for an event at the convention center, which was about a mile away. I would disagree with the comments here about the hotel not being walkable - it is only a few blocks to most of downtown. There are a couple of restaurants and bars within a block or two if you don't want to go too far. However, the hotel building is pretty tired and showing its age, although it does appear it has been remodeled.

$10 a day for parking is pretty steep, esspecially when you add in that the rates for these rooms run over $150 and approach $200. I stay at Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Express hotels regularly for business and would definitely have to say this is not one of their better properties. (I am a Platinum member in their points club.) If I had paid the quoted rate from some of the travel sites instead of a discounted rate using points, I would have been sorely disappointed in the value for the hotel.

A good example is the attached picture of the damaged furniture in our room - how something as blatantly obvious as this is ignored on an ongoing basis is beyond me. The room was clean and did provide us with a decent place to lay our heads, but really there was not much else there worth mentioning.

I found the service from the staff to be hit or miss. The first night I arrived I walked up to the front door which did not open when I approached. I found out later it was because a room key was needed. A guard inside the door literally looked at me and then looked away, apparently not feeling the need to address a customer waiting outside. I pulled the doors open to get inside. At the counter, I was lucky I had a reservation, as the clerk was rather rudely and dismissively telling another person they should have made reservations. Another clerk I spoke with was not particularly friendly but efficiently completed the check in. I later spoke with a person at the front desk that was very helpful and friendly, so your mileage may vary.

Overall, a clean place to lay your head for a few nights, but not worth the price nor are the accommodations up to the level that should be provided for the rates charged. Beware the parking fees (which did not show on the Holiday Inn web site before I booked my room) and be prepared for a mediocre experience.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Grant B, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Columbus Downtown Capital Square, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
BroncoJoe,

I would like to thank you for your loyalty to the IHG brand and for your recent stay. I am glad you enjoyed our location and the cleanliness of our hotel. I have taken note of all your comments and the management team and myself will make sure to address the issues you have brought to light. Thank you for your review and should you need anything moving forward please let me know.

Best regards,

Grant Bain

Been to Holiday Inn Columbus Downtown Capital Square? Share your experiences!