“BEWARE!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #85 of 142 Hotels in Columbus
Saint Charles, Missouri
“BEWARE!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

I can just sum it all up by saying that we were told that a HOLD of $221 would be placed on out credit card to be released when we checked out. I get home and check our account online and find that they actually held $965 which caused us to overdraft. When we called them to work it out their response was, "Sorry you were told that....you will get your money in 7-10 business days". WHAT? So what are we supposed to do in the meantime? Keep over-drafting? Our bank worked it out eventually but it was such a hassle. Hotel was NO help. We will never stay here again!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Akron, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

Like virtually everyone else in the Holiday Inn the week I stayed, I was there for the Ohio Bar Examination, so I apologize, but this review is geared towards Bar applicants. As Holiday Inns go, this was not the nicest I have stayed at (especially for being in the heart of the downtown) but it was adequate and the staff was helpful. Our room was $90 a night at our discount rate, at three nights plus parking and city and state taxes, the total was $345.

My roommate and I booked a two-bed guest room and it was pretty much what you would expect. The bathroom was a bit crowded and the only sink was inside the bathroom. There were an underwhelming number of outlets so if you will be bringing computers, alarm clocks, phone chargers, etc., a power strip would be advisable. There is FREE Wi-Fi which was great (several of the downtown hotels charge $10 a day for internet access). The food and drinks at the restaurant and bar were fine and reasonably priced. It's a pretty limited appetizer/sandwich/salad/pasta menu though and room service adds a $3 delivery fee plus 18% gratuity. We did not get a chance to check out the pool, fitness center, or even the television, but I heard from others they were nice.

The second day of our stay, there was, inexplicably, no maid service. The plumbing was ridiculously loud and we were awoken the morning of the Multistate to our neighbor’s shower sounding more like a jet taking off. There was also some construction going on at the building next door but they kept it to reasonable hours. Generally, the hotel was pretty quiet in the evenings. As others have pointed out, regardless of how often you leave or how long you stay, it is $10 a day to park (added to your bill) and breakfast is not included in the rate of the room. There were no courtesies in the lobby like cookies, fruit, coffee, or even water; this place is pretty Spartan with the amenities. There was no option to arrange for/pay for late check out; it was strictly at noon which was inconvenient considering the exam ends right around noon, meaning we had to pack up and check out before we left for the last day of the exam.

I would point out there was no microwave or mini-fridge in the room, only a single cup coffee maker. Similarly, there was no guest kitchen, vending area, or sundry store, only pop and ice machines on a few floors. Do not plan on making food at the hotel; your only option is to have the bartender take it to the kitchen to microwave it and he was so busy most nights that this was not a realistic option.

I have to say the staff did their best to accommodate us. Check in and check out were very quick despite the number of people arriving and leaving at the same time. Although they did not offer late check out on the last day of the exam, they invited us to return to the lobby and use the wireless to upload exam answers and said they could hold our luggage if needed. We overwhelmed the hotel restaurant and room service, but the bartender was willing to seat people at the bar and put in dinner or to-go orders. Additionally, the hotel shuttles were running to Veterans Memorial before and after the exam (if you plan on driving, be warned, it’s another $7 to park a day at Veterans). The hotel is a few blocks from Veterans Memorial (just under a mile) and you could certainly walk to and from the exam. All in all, this is a pretty typical, affordable Holiday Inn that tries to accommodate the Bar Exam rush.

Room Tip: Floors 6, 9, and 12 have ice and pop machines.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Homewood, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

Really appalled at the Customer Service! My boys went to see New Castle United play Columbus Crew.. 4 in all. Ages 19-20. I searched the website before I booked and did not see an age restriction, the only thing I saw was 18+ on rates so assumed ok. They arrived from Chicago (6 hours)upon check in they were asked their age.. remember one of them is 20.. they snatched back the reservation and told very rudely they could not stay there. My kids called me and I asked to speak to the woman, she did not want to take the call and told them it won't change anything anyway. I spoke with her and could not believe her attitude. She was not friendly or even helpful.. she had trouble finding her age policy. She said no Downtown hotel accepts under 21. I asked her for assistance in locating a different hotel. She did not want to help. Frustrated being far away and not being able to help my kids... Moms you understand. Luckily I have very mature kids.. they found another hotel- Downtown (thought the rule was not under 21 downtown.. hmmm) same rate, much friendlier and helpful. I will not ever stay here.. Mom's everywhere beware. If you can't help some kids on their first road trip to see their favorite team play the home team... how heartless can you be. In this economy there are many that will take my money and treat me like a guest and be happy to help.

Room Tip: Try a different Hotel - Red Roof Inn Helped us out
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2011

Location was very nice - in the heart of the city. Easily locate many places from the hotel area. The hotel is slightly dated, but maintained. We stayed from June 27 till July 1. Our first night we tried the restaurant in the hotel and were rudely brushed off by the server and decided to venture out instead. The server advised they opened for breakfast at 7am only to find out the next morning they opened at 630am (which would have been better for our day). The server that morning was very helpful and validated our breakfast coupon for lunch that day. Returned for lunch and service was WONDERFUL. Did not find out about room service till our last night when I mentioned something at the desk - due to no guest service book or menu in the room. Front desk offered to send one up, but we were checking out the following morning. We stayed in a room near the elevator - but was not expecting the elevator in the room. If you are given a room of 215, 315, 415, or so on.... change rooms!! If you are a light sleeper you will hear the elevator operate all night. The room was clean, however when the towels were changed out, no floor mat or hand towels were left. Too many little things to give the hotel are great revue, the bad out weighed the good. Vicki D.

Room Tip: Stay away from 215, 315, 415, 515...etc
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto, ON
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

It's older hotel but clean, comfy.
Great location for shopping - walking distance to Restaurants, national Arena if you're for game there, grocery stores, hwy. German Village is 15 min walk away. The best TJ Maxx We had good time there. Great Service – thank you. Helen R

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Kingsport, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

I was up for 2 nights. My son had a Visit with Nationwide Childrens Hospitol as he does 3-4 times per year. This was our 1st stay at this location.... We will be back! Located just off Center of Downtown w/ everything is close by. The rooms were very clean ...and spacious enough ( we were in a 1 br 2 bath suite ) Staff extreamly helpfull and friendly! Small park and downtown just a short walk away. Only drawbacks I found were.. work out facility resonably small ..but it is open 24hrs.and..no hot tub....but does have indoor heated pool..( I like hot tub after work out..) I was more than satisfied and should be back in Sept....

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Fort Wayne, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2011

We found this to be a nice, well-ran hotel. The rooms were clean and average sized with fairly small bathrooms.

However, it's always disappointing to stay in a decent hotel only to be nicked and dimed after you have paid for your room. Parking in an extra $10. The breakfast buffet is an extra $10 per person. At lesser hotels these would be free.

• Stayed May 2011

Been to Holiday Inn Columbus Downtown Capital Square? Share your experiences!