“The "No-Frills" bid” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Columbus North-Worthington

Save Saved
You added Crowne Plaza Columbus North-Worthington to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Columbus North-Worthington
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   6500 Doubletree Avenue, Columbus, OH 43229 (Formerly Marriott North)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #74 of 140 Hotels in Columbus
Flint, mi
“The "No-Frills" bid”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

There are two classes of guests at this hotel:

A. The cheap "Priceline Guest"

B. The "Pay full price and get perks Guest"

I enjoyed being a Priceline guest.

The room you get for bidding below $50 is fairly basic. You don't get a refrigerator, microwave or free breakfast or free WiFi.

What you DO get is a comfortable, standard size room with a comfortable bed (most important to me). The furnishings are good (the chairs are comfortable). You won't have to get on your hands and knees to find electrical outlets for your computer or Cpap. The soaps and lotions in the bathroom are of a higher quality. You are provided a countertop "make-up" mirror. There is an ironing board and iron in the closet. You also get a coffee-maker on the desk. The tv is a newer flatscreen type with a good amount of channels (Including 2 HBO channels).

When you think about it... this place isn't really "no-frills" at all, even when you do go the Priceline route.

Here are a couple tips you can try to enhance your experience:

The "Guest services directory" that comes in the room mentions free high-speed internet in every room. Since the words "free" and "in-room" are mentioned, take your directory to the front desk and point this out. You might be able to convince them to get a free Wi-Fi password. After a bit of arguing this point, I was able to do this.

No refrigerator? No problem! If you bring beverages in 12 oz. cans... try this trick. The HVAC unit in my room was configured with the air filters in front of the vents (which lift upwards). You can rest your cans over the vents by lifting the filter screen up about an inch. The fast-rushing chilled air will cool your beverages quickly.

One last note.

Don't be fooled by the photos to think that this hotel is on a lake. Nope. That is a drainage pond which is wedged between the expressway and this hotel. Do yourself a favor and look at Google or Bing Maps aerial images.

Would I recommend staying here? Absolutely! For the price of the one-star motels just down the road, you can enjoy a peaceful rest.

Room Tip: Inner courtyard rooms have less expressway noise and a nicer view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed two nights over Labor Day weekend visiting family in Columbus. Accessing events & attractions near OSU was very easy using I-71 or 315. Like several others, we were alittle concerned about negative reviews. But considering the bargain price we found it to be a great place to stay. We requested an inside (courtyard) room on an upper floor and had absolutely no noise issues. All staffers were pleasant & helpful. Had breakfast buffet on Sunday--delicious! Bathrooms on the small side but clean & well-stocked. Only one criticism: pool & courtyard area needed repair & maintainence & indoor portion was downright COLD. Exercise room very new & clean.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Steve P, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus North-Worthington, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Crowne Plaza Columbus North. We truely appreciate your comments and thank you for staying with us. We recently completed a large renovation of the building and the interior and exterior pool area will be next. They both should be completed before the end of the year. We look forward to seeing you again when your travels take you back to Columbus and thank you again for being our guest!
pittsburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We planned a last minute getaway to Columbus & found a great "secret saver" deal on priceline website. We lucked out and got a great room with indoor/outdoor pool for extreme savings. The location was great...easy access to the interstate, shopping district (Polaris) & downtown. I would stay here again if I could get the same deal!!!

Room Tip: If you can request a room that does not face the interstate-you can hear the traffic
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Fairfield, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Stayed here in July one night before catching a flight home. I have stayed at this location previously but it had been years. Although the hotel had been recently renovated, the beds had not been replaced. Bot beds in the room were so bowed that my daughter and I both had backaches the next morning. Front desk staff needed some work. She basically gave me the key and that was it -- no info about internet access or breakfast. When I logged into the internet I had to call the front desk and asked for the code. However, she failed to tell me that the code was all uppercase letters. So again, a call to the front desk. I asked if the code was upper/lower case and suggested that the next time someone asked for it -- that she should specify that. I truly don't know why she didn't give it to me when I checked -- I guess I looked like I was poor or something. She also didn't tell me about breakfast. I had to ask where it was served and when as I didn't want to order room service. Oh and btw, unlike the other guest who recently reviewed this -- I had to pay for the internet service even though we are PLATINUM MEMBERS. Truly -- I am happier at Holiday Inn Express which includes a decent breakfast, clean/comfortable rooms, free internet and friendly front desk staff. Won't be staying here again.

Room Tip: If the bed sags- get a new room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus North-Worthington, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear Tracy516,

Thank you for being an IHG Rewards Club Platinum member and for leaving us a feedback. Providing excellent customer service is one of the things we pride ourselves on and we are sorry to read that in this case you feel we have fallen short of your expectations. This is definitely not up to our standards and we are constantly working on improving the quality of service provided. Rest assured that I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again very soon.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stayed there for 2 nights. Bought it on priceline and was quite anxious reading the reviews but not to worry. I'd requested a room with microwave and fridge and got it. Since I was signed up to the rewards pgm, the internet was complimentary. The hotel was very nice, courteous staff, prompt service. I would definitely stay here again. I did not smell anything funny, see dust or anything else to put me off. Yes the pillows are small but it was ok. The sound of the aircon is like most hotels in this price range. The pizza in the restaurant was good too. Mins away from shops and movies if you really wanted to drive out to get something else..

Room Tip: Ask for remodeled rooms bcos I followed the tip from another traveler which maybe why I did not fac...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,
I wanted to take a moment to thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at he Crowne Plaza Columbus North. Your comments are very important to us and help us to make the necessary improvements or simply reinforce the positive things that we do. We did recently complete a large renovation of all of our guest rooms as well as the restaurant, lounge, meeting space and public areas.
Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to see you again when your travels take you back to Columbus.
Randolph, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Room was nice and clean. Musty smell until A/C got rid of it. The desk was too close to the A/C. Wouldn't have wanted to sit at the desk very long. Housekeeping brought us more coffee for the next day. The clip on the window blind closer rod to hold the drapes shut was a really good idea. (I always bring a clothes pin for the same purpose). The lighted magnifying mirror in the bathroom a nice touch. Loved the soap....great smell. Thought there wasn't a hair dryer, but found it in a black bag on the shelf under the sink.

We had appetizers in the restaurant during happy hour. Super price for all the food we got. Had the breakfast buffet the next morning. Kinda pricey, but was able to get an omelet made to order.

We were at this hotel for a VFW Ladies Auxiliary meeting. Our meeting was in the pavilion which is attached to the hotel. Very good setup for the meeting but a very long walk for many of the ladies depending on their room location. We had a special rate for our group.

Room Tip: Near elevator for shorter walk.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Columbus
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I booked this room online, figuring the mixed reviews were just too picky. I travel a bit, but do not ask for much when I stay on the road or when I take a weekend away with my girlfriend. I called ahead to make sure our room was ready, was told I could upgrade for $20 to a room with a microwave and refrigerator. Most hotels these days offers those automatically in all rooms, I told him no thanks over the phone, but once we arrived I changed my mind at the desk after he stated they are larger rooms, sit on a higher floor that maintains a quiet time after 10PM so I went ahead and upgraded. If this was an upgrade, I would hate to see the room I would've first been placed in. Upon immediately entering the room, you could see outside due to the placement of the AC unit in the wall. The windows were covered in some kind of disgusting film. This was honestly one of the worst stays I've ever had while traveling. I do not understand how they continued to get business while we were there. The bed was most definitely not comfortable, they offer a "sleep" package in each room, well we must have gotten a room they skipped because we had none of the listed items in our room. The bathroom had to be cleaned by us as well. Would be very hard for me to stay at this location again. This is a dated review, as I just joined TripAdvisor. They stay was within the past year.

Room Tip: Do Not Stay
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus North-Worthington, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
Dear Wade H,

Thank you for your recent stay at our hotel and for sparing your very valuable time to submit a detailed feedback of your experience during your stay with us.

We are saddened to hear of your encounters in our hotel and would like to extend our sincere apologies for the inconvenience and dissatisfaction caused by the room condition. We regret that your experience with us was not ideal and we are sorry for the lapse in service during your stay.

It is only through valuable feedback we receive from our valued customers that we would be in a position to know where we go wrong and rectify the circumstances or incidents, in order to ensure that we do not repeat the same in the future. Once again, thank you for your comments.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Crowne Plaza Columbus North-Worthington? Share your experiences!