“Service would have made it "Excellent"” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Columbus North-Worthington

Save Saved
You added Crowne Plaza Columbus North-Worthington to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Columbus North-Worthington
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   6500 Doubletree Avenue, Columbus, OH 43229 (Formerly Marriott North)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #74 of 140 Hotels in Columbus
St. Petersburg, FL
“Service would have made it "Excellent"”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza because we received a vendor rate for the show in which we were exhibitors. The hotel was easy to find and on the outside looked very nice. When we arrived at the front desk, we were fourth in line to check in and there was only one desk clerk. She spent an inordinate amount of time reviewing restaurants with one of the guests and while I would want the same service for me, I would have expected her to call more desk clerks up to help and there were two additional ones that came out from the back after all of us were checked in.

The room we had was up on the 8th floor (of 9) and quite a ways from the elevator, which was exactly what we wanted. The room was very clean and the bed was comfortable. We ordered room service right after we arrived and that seemed to be a bit of a chore. We saw an ad at the front desk for pizza and I asked during check in how late room service was available and if I could get the pizzas. Those seemed to be very difficult questions for the staff but they finally determined I could still do it for another 25 minutes. I called room service and had a very difficult time finding out what type of pizza I could order - a lot of "can't have this with that, that comes only with this sauce,etc"; all too complex for a simple room service order. However, we finally got it ordered and it was delivered in about 20 minutes by a very friendly staff member.

The next night (Friday), we went down to the lobby bar. It was nice that they had a bar onsite but service was a bit slow even though they didn't seem that busy. We went back to it on Saturday night (captive audience) and service was horrible with only 4-5 people sitting at the bar. It took forever to get the bartender's attention. When my wife and sister-in-law showed up, my sister-in-law doesn't drink and asked for a glass of milk. the bartender said it would be a minute on the milk. 30 minutes later, we told her to skip it and left. Very, very slow service and the staff had a very indifferent attitude toward the guests.

We received a discounted price on the room so I really can't speak to the value for the dollar spent. Would I stay here again? If I had the same situation for business and the same discounted rate, I probably would but would go elsewhere for food and drink. For me, service goes a long way to making a stay enjoyable and this hotel didn't make service a consistent priority.

Room Tip: High floors were very quiet. 832 & 831 were very nice rooms.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus North-Worthington, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear reiddg,

Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit and for taking the time to write about your recent experience at our hotel. We strive to accommodate all of our guests and their needs and I’m disappointed that we did not meet your expectations. We are sorry for any inconvenience you experienced due to the service you received from our staff. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

I want to extend my personal apology, and to thank you for helping us improve our hotel and services. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel and replace your bad experience with one that reflects our true standards.

Ferdinand G
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Detroit, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I have one complaint, but it's pretty big. I will start off with an overall impression, though.

Quiet location. Not right off the highway, but pretty easy to get to. It's more of a business and conference type hotel. I bet they hold wedding parties, conferences, etc.

I was greeted and treated very nicely at the front desk. I was told that Wi-Fi was $8 more, and asked if I wanted to add it. Also, WiFi was free in the lobby, if I chose that route.

Hallway on second floor had an odd smell. Not horrible, but not fresh. I kept thinking some of that carpet powder and a vacuum would help. Might just be old carpet that needs replacing.

Inside the room was nice overall. The alarm clock has a "CD Player" option. Time to upgrade. I've been seeing Ipod/Iphone docks for years at other hotels.

Bedding, towels, overall look was nice.

And then the horror came in. I first saw the duct on the bathroom. And it was covered in dust. Like it was caked on dust that probably hadn't been touched in months. And the problem with it being in the duct, was that it was to be blown all over the place, if I turned on the fan in the bathroom. Luckily, I did not. I saw the dust before I had the chance.

Not the air conditioner was the same. The air conditioner looked to be about 30 years old. Really old knobs. Which is fine, but it was dirty as well. The knobs, the casing and the slots were dirty and dusty. And that means the dust is being blown around the room. Just disgusting. Also, where the knobs sat was the longest hair I have ever seen.

Now, Crowne Plaza. You are soooo close to being a good hotel. Just just using a vacuum and cleaning the vents. I would not stay there again because I am thinking that I saw the two vents, but what else in the room hadn't been cleaned in ages?

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus North-Worthington, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear Christopher S,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay with us. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible.

Please accept our sincere apology for the unusual conditions of the room you received. I want to assure you that your experience is not indicative of the quality we are known to provide in our guest rooms.

Our housekeeping staff strive to ensure our rooms are well kept and held to the highest standard. Nevertheless, we have shared your comments with the team to ensure the issues you mentioned are addressed.

While we understand that your stay was less than satisfactory, we hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Joel B
Yardley, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Was only here for a night, but was pleasantly surprised. Room was recently refurbished and everything looked brand new; exceptionally clean, even the common areas.

Moderate downside - really in the middle of nowhere, tucked in an office complex. Finally found a shopping center nearby, but not a center I'd frequent.

Inconvenient downside - About $9 a day for wi-fi. This hotel has a convention center-type set up and I know it's kind of accepted that you gouge convention-goers for fees like this, but it was really a turnoff for a casual business traveler.

Most unpleasant downside - While this is a no-smoking hotel (hurray!), they allow smokers to set right outside each doorway and puff away. Every time I entered or exited the building, I walked through a smokescreen. It was so heavy my clothes actually smelled of smoke.

That being said, I will definitely consider staying again when I have business in Columbus.

Room Tip: Consider using Hotwire or Priceline to book.
Randolph, Ohio, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I was a little nervous because I booked this hotel through Priceline-one of those "buy before you know what you're buying" deals and then read some negative reviews on this hotel. I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel and room were fine. Everything seemed clean and the front desk staff was on the whole pleasant. The neighborhood was fine, and the hotel was convenient to many restaurants.
If I wanted to get nit-picky: The girl checking us in seemed annoyed that I asked for a "quiet room", saying that they were "all quiet", but put us on the courtyard side. The large gaps under the doors let in a lot of noise from the hallway, the tub could have drained faster, and the Wi-Fi was an extra charge. The shelves in the bathroom could have used a dusting.
Bottom line: Don't let the negative reviews of the place scare you away, especially if you got a smokin' deal.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed here for a conference the past 3 years. The place is very nice, and the staff is friendly. It has been recently renovated, and the rooms are clean. The only downfall is of your room faces I-71 you hear the traffic all night even with the A/C running. Will continue to stay here when I visit Columbus.

Stayed June 2013
cincinnati
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Probably the worst part of this stay was checking in as they had only one clerk available. The woman was very apologetic about the wait and that was that. I was very happy to see that this hotel finally has the good 70 channel cable. The hotel has a nice hot tub although not as hot as most and my room was nice, clean but a very small bathroom.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus North-Worthington, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear jeffh1952,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments regarding your stay with us. It is our pleasure to accommodate our guests needs the best way we can and we are so pleased you liked your room accommodation. We apologize for the inconvenience you had with the service you received and the bathroom. Please remain assured that we have recorded your comments and will forward it to the appropriate departments for future considerations. Despite your disappointment we do hope you will stay with us again when you can be assured of our very best attention.

Thank you again for your feedback and have a wonderful day!

Karen C
California's Wine Coast Country, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I stayed at this hotel last week for work. The hotel is nicely laid out, with decent amenities. The staff was courteous and helpful. The only thing I have to gripe about is the noise that comes from the in-wall AC units in the rooms. They put out the chill as needed, but if you're anything like me, you're probably not going to sleep much. Being from the West Coast, and struggling to adjust to the three hour time change, this was a terrible environment for a good night's sleep. After talking to a few of the guests, it sounded like their rooms were the same. On a positive note though, the hallways were quiet.

Room Tip: The ninth floor is their designated quiet floor. All of the guests seemed to want the same and resp...
Dear Thanh N,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. I'm truly delighted you liked our amenities as well as our friendly staff. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I would like to offer a sincere apology for the inconvenience the noise had caused you. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality and services we offer for to our guests.

Jaime W
IHGCare

Been to Crowne Plaza Columbus North-Worthington? Share your experiences!