“Decent hotel in a shady neighborhood” 3 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Crowne Plaza Columbus North-Worthington to your Saves list
Prices are for rooms, adults
Crowne Plaza Columbus North-Worthington
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   6500 Doubletree Avenue, Columbus, OH 43229 (Formerly Marriott North)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #76 of 140 hotels in Columbus
Edison, New Jersey
“Decent hotel in a shady neighborhood”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

One of the first reactions that I got from a friend when I told him that I would be staying in this hotel was "be careful and don't walk around in the night". Apparently this hotel is not in the best of the neighborhood. So if you are staying here and have a vehicle its good. The hotel has a shuttle that you need to request for to travel to surrounding areas which is good. It does not have any dining place that you can walk to around but has a restaurant that is ok to eat situated in the hotel.

Rooms were clean and they were apparently replacing the mattresses when I stayed for 2 nights in August 2012. I got a good price on Priceline and hence choose to stay at this place. Overall was good experience considering what I paid thru Priceline. Hotel has a gym with functioning basic equipment and saw kids having fun in the pool so I guess it was good.

Room Tip: Need a vehicle to go around or use the hotel shuttle service
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Daniel O, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus North-Worthington, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Thanks for taking the time to comment. While we are happy to offer complimentary shuttle service, having a car is absolutely the best way to enjoy all of the amenities that Central Ohio has to offer.

158 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Ohio City, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

As other reviewer pointed out, this hotel was overrated. It has to be lower than 3 stars, two maybe. There is no way this hotel meets the Crown Plaza standards that I know. The size of room wasn’t too bad but the bedding, mattress, bathroom and other things are so outdated that even though house cleaning is done properly it can’t be justified. Well, if there isn’t much hotel can do about the aged building then one thing they can do and have a control over is the customer service. Kind service can overcome a lot of things. Unfortunately that’s not what we were experienced. Seven couple made weekend gateway golf trip in Dublin, Ohio. We booked a room via Travelocity. It was a deal that you don’t know the hotel until you book it. Once the hotel name was revealed we selected the room type, king size bed. It got booked and confirmed. When we checked in the room, it had two double beds. We went back to the front desk and asked about our reservation. The lady at the front desk, Ashely S. wasn’t even look its availability and told us that they were out of the king size bed room. We told her we booked king size bed and she told us, “If you book it via 3rd party then nothing will be guaranteed.” What? Are you serious? We told her that we know it was available two minutes ago, only then she gave us the king size bed room very unwillingly, trust me her attitude expressed enough how she feels about this like pounding countertop when she took the key, etc, and adding, “We are not supposed to change the room…”??? We were standing feeling as if we begged for a free room and she was doing our favor? Was I supposed to be just grateful that you gave us a room because we booked it via 3rd party??? This hotel seriously needs better management. It runs and acts like a motel or inn. What a disappointment…

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
You are 100% correct that every guest deserves excellent customer service no matter what the circumstances. And we are in the process of renovations so many of the specific items you noted are in the process of being upgraded. All mattresses were replaced recently so I am a little perplexed by that part of your experience. I will be following up on each point, thank you.
Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

I made a reservation for a room with two double beds for two nights four months prior to our stay. We were in town for a convention. When I checked in I was told that there were no rooms with 2 double beds and that I would have to accept a room with a King Size Bed and a couch that pulled out into a bed. Jon at the front desk didn't have a reason as to why the room that I booked four months prior was not available. All he kept saying was that the hotel was completely booked. We decided to take the King and couch because we needed to be in this hotel for the convention. Well let me tell you, the couch that opened up into a bed was terrible. I think they might have gotten the mattress from a dump it was so old, dirty and flat. On top of that there were no sheets on it, we had to make our own bed and dig around the drawers to find a blanket. Real Nice! We even called the next day and complained and we were still told we couldn't get a room with two double beds. I have never been treated so poorly by a hotel or motel chain in my life. No wonder it's no longer a Marriott, this place didn't live up to their standards. I can't believe it even meets Crowne Plaza standards. And they should look into firing Jon, he was rude and unconcerned.

Room Tip: I doubt there are any good rooms here.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus North-Worthington, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Dear John P,

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

This was a very enjoyable hotel experience. The hotel seems well maintained. The staff are friendly. We were there for a meeting that took over most of the hotel's public spaces, and the hotel did everything needed to accommodate our people. The only drawback is that there are no retail, drug or food estrablishments within easy walking distance--except for the Budweiser plant that offers tours close by.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
We appreciate your kindness. We are always happy to offer a complimentary ride to and from the several drug and food options about 1 mile away, it definitely beats walking.
Kalamazoo, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

We recently spent 7 days at this great hotel. The staff was one of the friendliest we have ever encountered.
The room was comfortable and clean. The restaurant was affordable and had a nice selection. we travel to 7-8 conventions like this each year and have done it for over 40 years. This was perhaps the most friendly and attentive staff we have ever come across.
I see where stuart r has written a negative review. I know this professional victim personally and can tell you that he never has anything good to say about pretty much anything.
As for problems he had I would be willing to bet he did not contact the staff or they would have bent over backwards to fix it.
Also the review about the area being unsafe. It is in an industrial park surrounded by other businesses. I would highly doubt that it is a high crime area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your supportive comments and highlighting the friendliness of the staff. We plan to avoid problems, but we will bend over backwards to fix those that slip by. It's what you deserve. Thanks.
Troy, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

We participated in a weeklong convention at this hotel. The facility was clean. We slept well on a new mattress. The location was a bit hard to navigate to but the directions on their web site were perfect. The grounds were well cared for with beautiful flower beds. Christino's, the hotel restaurant, was a big surprise with wonderful food at reasonable prices. The convention staff was exceptional following through with any request quickly and efficiently. They worked very hard and did all they could to make the convention run smoothly. nancya

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Sounds like you had the experience you deserve. I appreciate you taking the time to share. I will make sure to pass on your kind comments about the terrific staff.
Fishers, Indiana, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

I want to start by saying there is no way that this is a 3 1/2 start hotel. It is a 2 at best. I can’t believe that this hotel meets the Crown Plaza standards. If so I am disappointed and will think twice about booking a hotel with them again. This property is not in the best of neighborhoods and I was worried about leaving my car with anything of value in it. There seemed to be a lack of management presence the whole time we were there.
We experienced what others have stated about tubs not draining. We were moved when I complained about this but I found it a little weird that the girl at the front desk said they normally don't do that? I guess we are supposed to shower in a tub that will not drain (gross)??? The hotel has a weird musty smell to it throughout the property. We found the whole place to be dirty in general the rooms are in need of an overhaul badly and are not cleaned very well. Dusty vents in the bathroom and dirt in the sinks. We stayed two nights and when we came back to our room at 4pm on the second day we found only one of the two beds changed???? The comforter for the second bed was in a ball on the bed and the bed skirt was sitting in a ball on the TV stand. When I told the women at the front desk about it she seemed put off that I was complaining. I even showed her a picture because I got the feeling she thought I was making it up. We left for the pool for about an hour and the bed was made when we came back. I would think that each room would have a check list that needs to be marked off for every room and signed by the housekeeper who did it. It is obvious that the housekeepers are not trained well, overworked and there is also a lack of supervision and follow up.
The pool area was simply GROSS stuff floating in the water and dirty towels everywhere. The worst part of it was the lounge chairs COVERED in bird droppings. We walked back by the pool area the next day and the same chairs were still covered in it. No one in two days bothered to clean them off or move them from under the trees that the birds were in. This just shows you the lack of management this hotel has. How did the management of a 3 ½ star property not walk the pool area in the morning and notice bird crap all over the chairs????
I also thought it funny that the signs of the hotel said a smoke-free property but yet there was always one or more people standing right next to the main door of the hotel smoking so we had to walk through their smoke just to enter this hotel. One of these people appeared to be a hotel employee???? We never ate at the restaurant because if the other areas of the property were so bad I was not about to be further disappointed by eating a bad overpriced meal. The whole hotel is need of a face lift and a good cleaning. All I can say about our stay was disappointing and gross. Be aware this is not a 3 ½ star hotel!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your observations.
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Crowne Plaza Columbus North-Worthington? Share your experiences!