“Good value, but very outdated” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Columbus North-Worthington

You added Crowne Plaza Columbus North-Worthington to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Columbus North-Worthington
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   6500 Doubletree Avenue, Columbus, OH 43229 (Formerly Marriott North)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #78 of 142 Hotels in Columbus
milwaukee, wisconsin
“Good value, but very outdated”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

We recently stayed at the Crowne Plaza - North Columbus during the National USA Volleyball tournament. Our hotel was filled with volleyball players and their families. We received a great room rate and we were able to have our whole team(12 rooms) on the same floor. Our room was clean and roomy, the beds and pillows were comfortable. The chair, however, was filthy. Really needed replacing. There was nice flat screen TV. The bathroom, however was very dated and had a "nursing home type" smell to it. We were all promised refrigerators with our reservation, but there were only 3 available for 3 our of our 12 rooms. The hallways were loud, you could hear any door close on the whole floor - there was at least an inch gap at the bottom of our door preventing any type of sound proofing.

The lobby and other common areas were very spacious, but very outdated and a little dingy. This hotel really needs some updating. The exercise room was very nice with great equipment. The pool was also nice with an indoor-outdoor connection.

During our stay, there was a terrible storm that knocked out our power for 48 hours. Our rooms were dark without air conditioning. The staff was very helpful to get us some ice. There was complimentary coffee and muffins in the morning. They waved our room fee for the first night and only charged us half for the second night. They did their best under the circumstances.

The staff was always very helpful, and polite. It was nice to have free wifi.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Daniel O, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus North-Worthington, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
You were here on a challenging weekend and I really appreciate your understanding. We tried to see to everyone’s comfort under circumstances that where obviously not what was anticipated by you or us. Please come back when the lights are on and we have completed our upgrades…there was a lot you liked about the property this time and next time will be even better.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza-Columbus North for a conference this past weekend. There was a horrible storm that knocked out power to the hotel on the3rd night I was there. Needless to say, we were scrambling to find a place to eat. The hotel staff went out of their way to call around to see what restaurants were open (the power outage was very widespread). For those who chose to stay at the hotel or the late arriving guests, the staff provided hot dogs, and water as well as coffee. Later that night when we returned from eating, the staff kept providing water and making sure everyone was doing OK. The following morning, bagels and coffee were provided. The staff went above and beyond during this situation. This is the 6th time that I have stayed at this hotel, and have always been impressed everytime I have stayed there! This is the only hotel in Columbus that I will stay at when I am visiting.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus North-Worthington, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Thanks for writing....that was quite a storm. Power came back early Sunday morning and we were back in business! I am proud of my staff every day, but this weekend they amazed even me. I hope we see you soon, on a night when we can see you.
Strongsville, Ohio, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

First let me say, we got a GREAT rate on this hotel on hotwire.com. My parents and my family (including 3 young daughters who love to stay in hotels) had adjoining rooms on the second floor. What we absolutely loved was: the unique pool area. We loved the indoor/outdoor pool and whirlpool area. The fitness room was full of great state of the art, clean treadmills, machines, and weights. The towels were thick and luxurious. Sheets the same; high quality. Beds comfortable with lots of different sized pillows. Some incidentals were great: the toiletries high quality/pleasant smelling, shower curtain and shower head appeared brand new and clean, flat screen TV with great channels, WiFi access in our room, iron and ironing board, hair dryer, one cup coffee maker with TASTY coffee. And, I must say, the housekeeping staff deserve big huge accolades. They were the friendliest, most kind people - each making effort to greet us, and make polite conversation when we encountered them. The room was very quiet; we were not disturbed by noise from any other guests, and I really hope that any of our noise did not disturb anyone else!

The 'needs improvement' list was minor, and as mentioned before, we still feel that the room was worth every penny that we paid on hotwire and only listed here in the interest of suggestions for improvement: 1970's era bottle cap remover installed in bathroom, dingy tub bottom (still, mostly everything in room was very CLEAN), there was a hole in one of our pillowcases, pull out sofa bed was not comfortable, furniture was rather scuffed/old looking, sofa in need of cleaning, carpet and all of bathroom very worn and dated - old, slightly peeling wallpaper, very 70's looking shell in tub area, shower bar coming out of wall. My daughters also noted 'stinky' smell in hallway; I believe there were some guests who were smoking in their rooms, which is an unfamiliar smell to them. My daughters love nature - so the outdoor pond/swamp area was a draw for them. There is a lovely outdoor paved/track area that, if regularly cleared of the massive amounts of duck poop, would be a runners haven away from home. A simple working fountain might also do well to clear a moderate amount of the massive algae accumulation due to stagnation there.

We did not choose to dine in the hotel restaurant, as the breakfast buffet price of $12.97 per person scared us off. There is a Waffle House around the corner that served us well. We also had dinner at Lola and Guiseppi's - rated #1 on Tripadvisor for Columbus restaurants FOR A VERY GOOD REASON!!! - and a 15 minute drive from here, in Gahanna.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your thorough report...I am glad you appreciated all the amenities especially the new Fitness Center, the Free Wi-Fi, and large selection of HD Channels...these are all items we have worked on in the past year. Coming soon will be new furniture in the rooms and many other upgrades, including some major upgrades to the courtyard area. I am pleased you mentioned the friendly staff and will share your comments with them. I am looking into adding two fountains to the pond...good idea. And, I even ordered a waffle iron!
Butler, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

Contrary to the 3.5 star rating that was listed for this property, I am writing to share my displeasure with my recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Columbus North. After driving over 350 miles to spend a weekend in Columbus - the last thing that I wanted was a place that smelled like a nursing home, had dingy decor, was noisy, and overall depressing. There was hair in the bed, shower, and in the corners of the bathroom. The wallpaper was peeling off the walls, and I opened my drapes to overlook a swamp. What?! I will never stay at a Crowne Plaza again. When I travel, I look for a refreshing experience where I can enjoy the property and its surroundings. This is certainly not such a place.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for the feedback...what you describe is not the experience we are trying to provide and I can assure you I will follow up in all areas.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

Just stayed here for 5 days and absolutely loved it. My only gripe was that my bathtub was clogged but they took care of it. I was a little skeptical before checking in because a lot of people here were whining about old furniture, my reply to them is who cares? As long as everything is clean, why are you crying about it? Especially for the price you pay through price line. I'm definitely gonna stay here if I'm ever back in town. Excellent staff and management.

• Stayed June 2012
Thank you for your kind words. We agree, cleanliness is critical and we concentrate on it every minute of every day. I appreciate your acceptance of the furniture, but pretty soon it will be all new as well. Please come back and see what we have accomplished when we are finished.
Noblesville, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

I stayed at this Crowne Plaza while in town with my dad for The Memorial Tournament last weekend.

First thing I noticed was that the property is sprawling, a true old school, back in the day, full-service hotel with a bar, restaurant, and conventions rooms. Checking in went very smoothly and I was in my room in no time at all, the front desk agent on duty was training someone but still engaged with me and gave me all the basic info about the hotel such as location of the room and the free wireless password.

As you walk to the room you notice how old the property really is, the carpet, light fixtures, and wallpaper are all clean but at least 15+ years old. Once I got to the room and it was very clean but again basic and outdated. We had no problem with noise during the night, everything was pretty quiet.

There really isn't much to write about the room because it was your average, run of the mill hotel room that hadn't been updated in a long time. I will say that the TV were flat panel and offered true HD service with an extensive channel lineup. There is an outdoor pool but I didn't use it.

We did eat breakfast at the restaurant which was expensive but most hotel breakfast's are so I wasn't too concerned with that. The hostess was missing in action when we arrived to be seated so we waited a couple of min until she arrived. The food was decent but not worth the price we paid. The restaurant is another area showing its age, the carpet is pretty dingy the booths and chairs need to be re-done with new fabric.

Overall the staff we encountered were good but the hotel is super old in need of refreshment. I would probably stay here again because it was very clean and the staff were good.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Daniel O, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus North-Worthington, responded to this review, June 8, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate your comments on the cleanliness of the hotel and the assistance you received from the staff. You are correct that the hotel harkens back to the day when all hotels were “Full Service” hotels like the Crowne Plaza. When you return for next year’s Memorial Tournament, I think you will be very pleased with the upgrades and improvements that are part of our renovation scheduled for later this year…then you can add ‘Shiny and New’ to the Cleanliness and Service comments you shared this year. See you then.
Albany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

My husband and I stayed here as a part of our Rock on the Range package. Despite many others doing the same, the hotel stayed mostly quiet. Room and common areas were clean. Room itself lacked a few amenities but overall, it was a good experience.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing the Crowne Plaza for your RotR weekend. Since we are about the closest full service hotel to Crew Stadium we did have an abundance of Rockers that weekend, but I think they were all ‘Rocked Out’ by the time they got back to the hotel as it was pretty quiet. From what we heard it was a great event and anything but quiet at the stadium…I hope you enjoyed it and will come back next year.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Columbus
Sheraton Suites Columbus
Cambria Suites
#20 of 142 in Columbus
4.5 of 5 stars 239 reviews
Hyatt Place Columbus/Worthington

Been to Crowne Plaza Columbus North-Worthington? Share your experiences!