“Excellent Staff” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Southwest Michigan
“Excellent Staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2010

I stayed here for a business conference and was very impressed w/their staff. I did have a very nice room w/an outstanding view, up on the 19th floor. This hotel trys to be "green" & gives you an option of whether you want to have your linen changed every day, I appreciate that option as I try myself to be a green individual. I had a great stay, I was there for six days/five nights - many places were w/in walking distance & they had a convention center connected to the hotel. I would stay again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Clarkston, MI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2010

I have stayed in Hyatt's before and actually am a member of their stay so many nights and receive a free night program; so I was expecting a fairly decent hotel. My arrival was fairly decent; although out of three people working in the front desk, and with one person in front of me, it still took fifteen minutes to check in. I was in Columbus on a conference the end of March.

I asked for a high floor and received a wonderful room. My friend, who stayed in another room helped me carry my luggage to my room on the 19th floor. After I unpacked, I went to check out the bathroom, and OMG...it was filthy. The previous guest must have had very long hair because strands of it were on the floor, in the shower, on the toilet, etc. I immediately called to the front desk and asked to speak to a manager. The manager was not available, but after I told the front desk what the complaint was, they said they would move me. She said that the bell man would be up to help me with my luggage, and fifteen minutes later, a friendly staff member did arrive and helped me to the other room via the back elevator. He did give me two coupons for breakfast on the hotel. This time, I got a room which overlooked the roof and the back of the convention center which is attached to the hotel. The bathroom was better but she shower appeared unclean. The faucet top was missing from the cold water handle in the faucet. The bed was made but the sheets were not all the way tucked into the bed, giving the room a half made appearance. This was the first hotel which I have ever stayed in where I actually wore my flip flops in the shower..yuck. Overall, the hotel was not well taken care of; for example, the hallways to the rooms were filthy. They had crumbs, litter, and were overall very dirty. For the length of my stay, I never saw any staff member vacuum the hallways (which desperately needed it). I took a picture of an example of what kinds of things one could find on the hotel floors. Dirty dishes which people placed after ordering room service were not picked up for almost 24 hours. When I went to the pool, and the gym area they had the smell and appearance of dirtiness and looked dingy and in a way that I did not feel it was clean enough to swim or work out there (I ve used many hotel pools and gyms, but this was by far the most dirtiest); I actually went down four blocks to a gym (which was recommended by a staff member).

The staff was very friendly, and did answer all of my questions. When I called down for a hi wi connection; one of the staff stated she would go look for a "hi wi box" but never returned to the phone. When I went downstairs, they gave me a box, unfortunately it did not have all the proper connections. When I returned they gave me another box, and that one did not have all the connections either, fortunately I was smart enough to keep the first box and was able to finally connect online.

The food which the hotel served was very good for a hotel; I ate breakfast which was made to order and was outstanding; lunch (as part of the conference) and light appetizers (part of the conference); the food was very well prepared.

In summary, even though the people were friendly who worked there; and the food was good; it did not make up for the dirtiness of the hotel. I would NOT recommend staying there.

England UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2010

Rooms were clean and well maintained. Some rooms had fridges others appeared to have either been well hidden or not fitted. I stayed for 5 nights and my room was cleaned each day. The Guest Services were helpful. The swiming pool a little small for such a large hotel that seems to cater for family visits at the weekend. The location is close to the hockey stadium and North High Street which has interesting boutique shops. North Market is 5 minutes walk away for anyone interested in food. Lofts Bookstore is a $7.50 cab ride (I believe this is in the German Village area). Be prepared to walk back as patrolling cabs are sighted as often as the dodo (must be the cost of fuel). The nearest shopping mall is Easton ($35 each way - but Guest Services arranged the hotel shuttle $40 all in).

On the downside the lifts are very slow which is probably due to the large amount of conference attendees breaking off to their rooms or dashing to the conference at the same time. Either way I found myself using the stairs.

Breakfast would have been o.k ($16 for the buffet) if it were not for the fact that the food on the hotplates was repeatedly tepid. I tried different methods of gathering up breakfast so that I collected the hotplate food last and by the time I reached my table it was barely warm. Weird how no-one else seemed to notice. Not too sure about there coffee either.

I did not eat any other meals at this hotel. There are plenty of local places. My colleagues and I rated Deep Wood (3 mins walk and definitely for those into wine - 3oz taster glasses), and Hyde Park (6 mins walk, excellent steaks). However these two places were not cheap.

There appeared to be only one bar in the hotel which would be best described as functional. No shortage of local bars. Most of the area is allegedly owned by Nationwide.

$25 cab to the airport (CMH).

Baltimore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2010

Spent a week at the Hyatt during March 2010 for a business conference. Was the week right after the Arnold Classic. Room 734.

Arrived in front of the Hyatt and was greeted by their parking service. I was allowed to park in the circle to check in and deliver my bags to my room. I opted for self serve parking with in/out privileges. Regular cost is $12/day. Half the valet service. Parking is a very long block away. It's about a 5 to 7 min walk. Hotel desk staff were EXCELLENT. Easy check in and accommodated all my extras with the conference.

Room 734 is at the far end of the hall facing southwest. It is a nice room but with an odd triangular shape. Full wall of windows in the sleeping room and bathroom. Bath tub/shower combo was unique. Also a triangular shape. Worked fine. Great water pressure and temperature control. This room gets full sun in the afternoon and without BOTH air conditioner units running, the room was hot. Closet was small. An iron and ironing board were present. Coffee/tea service in room. The TV was an older model instead of the flat LCD panels. Everything in the room worked fine. My only real complaint was the cost of internet access. $9.99/day via Tmobile hotspot. Other less expensive hotels give this service for FREE.

The hotel is attached to the convention center so all the typical issues there. Busy but not overly crowded. Hotel had good food. The Long Bar had good drinks. Easy walking distance to Short North and Capital.

Cincinnati
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2010

not a bad stay - the walls were a little thin - but luckily my neighbors we quiet. the rooms were remodeled a few years ago and were fairly up to date.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

I went for a convention and ended up in a riot! This hotel alllowed a rap radio station take over the hotel! By the end of the night, the police had to be called and the entire resort was a mess. The place was destroyed and the hotel had no way of providing safety for the guest. No sleep, no security, and the only way we had to stay safe was to baracade ourself in our rooms. To this day, I did not recieve even a apology from the managment.
do yourself a favor, Find a SAFE place to stay

Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2009

I thought this place was great. They did not charge for wireless internet. Service was terrific. Staff was great. Room was great. Seriously, one of the best hotel stays I ever had.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business

Been to Hyatt Regency Columbus? Share your experiences!