“A Fine Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #35 of 142 Hotels in Columbus
Baltimore
“A Fine Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2010

Spent a week at the Hyatt during March 2010 for a business conference. Was the week right after the Arnold Classic. Room 734.

Arrived in front of the Hyatt and was greeted by their parking service. I was allowed to park in the circle to check in and deliver my bags to my room. I opted for self serve parking with in/out privileges. Regular cost is $12/day. Half the valet service. Parking is a very long block away. It's about a 5 to 7 min walk. Hotel desk staff were EXCELLENT. Easy check in and accommodated all my extras with the conference.

Room 734 is at the far end of the hall facing southwest. It is a nice room but with an odd triangular shape. Full wall of windows in the sleeping room and bathroom. Bath tub/shower combo was unique. Also a triangular shape. Worked fine. Great water pressure and temperature control. This room gets full sun in the afternoon and without BOTH air conditioner units running, the room was hot. Closet was small. An iron and ironing board were present. Coffee/tea service in room. The TV was an older model instead of the flat LCD panels. Everything in the room worked fine. My only real complaint was the cost of internet access. $9.99/day via Tmobile hotspot. Other less expensive hotels give this service for FREE.

The hotel is attached to the convention center so all the typical issues there. Busy but not overly crowded. Hotel had good food. The Long Bar had good drinks. Easy walking distance to Short North and Capital.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Cincinnati
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2010

not a bad stay - the walls were a little thin - but luckily my neighbors we quiet. the rooms were remodeled a few years ago and were fairly up to date.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

I went for a convention and ended up in a riot! This hotel alllowed a rap radio station take over the hotel! By the end of the night, the police had to be called and the entire resort was a mess. The place was destroyed and the hotel had no way of providing safety for the guest. No sleep, no security, and the only way we had to stay safe was to baracade ourself in our rooms. To this day, I did not recieve even a apology from the managment.
do yourself a favor, Find a SAFE place to stay

Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2009

I thought this place was great. They did not charge for wireless internet. Service was terrific. Staff was great. Room was great. Seriously, one of the best hotel stays I ever had.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
South Dakota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2009

I was happy with the hotel, but having to pay for wireless internet left a bad taste in my mouth. I walked to the nearest STARBUCKS as a matter of principal.
Parking is $10 per night.

Lots of nice restaurants in the area.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Toronto
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2009

I was there for a recent convention but was throughly and very disappointed. But being fair, I have listed what was GOOD compared to what was "BAD":
GOOD: :
1) Staff was very polite and freindly.
2) Great location right downtown near the arena, theatres, restaurants, and the convention centre.
3) Great view (at least from my room).
4) Convenient bar, and fast food eateries on the concourse.
5) Nice meeting room facilities (though I cant comment on the excercise/pool and I did not use them).
6) Valet service was excellent.
AND NOW FOR THE BAD:
1) Valet parking only (need to park next door in covered garage if you want cheaper parking).
2) Elevators are very slow and only 4 of them.
3) Some days, there was no newspaper at the door.
4) My bed was awful. It was uneven like a heavy person slept on it. Luckily I have a strong back!
5) REAL BAD: my bed was not made up properly (loose sheets), the first night and I had the soiled pillow cases from the previous guest that was not changed (believe me, I work with homeless and this does not bother me, but for what I paid I thought this is really bad).
6) REAL BAD: Our room was not "refreshed" the next day (garbage not dumped, towels not changed, nothing wiped). There were no signs in room indicating that they change sheets only every 3 days - which is good environmentally, but at least tell me!!! I had to phone room service to get new towels and have them at least wipe the place!
7) They don't slip your checkout receipt under your door like most hotels do now, necessitating a visit back down to front desk when you check out (they have a computer there for you to "express check out").
8) The baggage valet person taking our luggage out was not competent and seemed like she wanted a new job! We told her that there were some fragile boxes on the cart and she still put heavy opbjects on them and baged to into walls as she blindly took our luggage down on the luggae cart!!! I had to physically move in and offer to push the cart myself!
9) Price was OK ($140 convention rate), but the service really showed me that this price was way too high (got better service at the RED ROOF INN in Boston last year)!

OVERALL - I would never never stay there again - period! Other Hyatts are way better.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Evanston, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2009

The hotel was crowded with several events going on at the same time. Check-in took a while and it was evident some of the staff felt overwhelmed. The rooms were nice with a great view of downtown. When we got to our room, there were no towels, and it took a while to get them to our room. There was no free internet service, which for a business hotel is very odd, and hopefully will be corrected soon. The hallways were loud, but there was a staff person who came up and controlled the situation in a timely manner. Comfort seemed to be a priority for the staff.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled on business

Been to Hyatt Regency Columbus? Share your experiences!