“Nice enough, but not really up to Hyatt standards” 3 of 5 stars

Bed & Breakfast Package
Ranked #43 of 142 Hotels in Columbus
GreenLeadersSilver level
Mercer Island, Washington
“Nice enough, but not really up to Hyatt standards”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

This is a nice enough place. Clean. Attractive. But yet somehow still disappointing. I think of Hyatt as being a pretty high end chain. And this one is just ordinary. I have a corner room, which is kind of cool. The view from the toilet is better than just about any bathroom I have seen! And they supply toothpaste in the room. But nothing much else is very memorable. The bed is firm. Wifi signal is strong. And free. So there is not a lot to complain about here. But nor is there much to recommend. Where are the fancy comforters on the bed? The fancy lobby? The fancy walk in shower? Nah. I would not mind coming back. But I would not seek it out.

Room Tip: Go for the corner room to get the best view.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Stephen_Stewart, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Columbus, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Thank you for your review of Hyatt Regency Columbus! I am happy that you were pleased with your accommodations, and found the hotel to be clean and hospitable. I hope to have another chance to wow you the next time you are in the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

Positive: 1) Professional front desk; good housekeeping staff. I got the impression that they wanted you to have a nice stay. 2) The rooms are clean, comfortable, and well-maintained. The views are really nice. Hard to ask for more. 3) Good location close to Short North and the Arena District.
Neutral: Gym is not open 24 hours.
Negative: None.
Elite benefits: Diamond benefits delivered in general with positivity. The only minor blemish is that they will charge you for the tip portion of the free diamond breakfast. This is in direct violation of Hyatt policy, but lots of hotels seem to do it anyway.

Room Tip: Some corner rooms do not have desks.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Stephen_Stewart, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Columbus, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Thank you for your five star review of Hyatt Regency Columbus! I am happy to hear that as a Diamond Member you were pleased with your stay and both the look and service of the hotel. I hope to have you with us again the next time you are in the area!
Pittsburgh, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

I booked my stay through priceline so I got a great rate. If I had paid full price, I would be giving less stars. I came for business but brought my husband and 2 young daughters along (so we could check out Columbus Zoo while in the area). The rooms were very nicely decorated. Staff was courteous and helpful. My only complaints are: the AC, the portable crib and parking. The AC- The unit kept us up all night. It literally "sputtered" on and off every time. It was quite a loud noise. The portable crib (pack n play) was first delivered without the pad. We did receive the pad after a quick call to front desk. But the one side of the crib didn't seem to lock into place properly so the whole thing was wobbling. The baby only slept in there for the first 4 hours of the night as a result. Finally, parking- if you choose to park in the self-park garage, it is a far walk (although covered) especially with kids and luggage. Just pay the extra 9 dollars to valet. Overall, it was fine for one night. If I was there another night, I would have requested a New room due to the AC.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your review of Hyatt Regency Columbus! I am happy to hear you were pleased with the overall look of your room, and your experiences with our staff. Thank you for bringing the disrepair with the AC unit and the portable crib to my attention. These are both items that can be quickly addressed and repaired. I hope you will give us another chance to give you a flawless Hyatt stay the next time you are in the area.
Key West FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

We stayed here for a convention the weekend of June 26-29.

The rooms were clean as expected and room rate was very reasonable for the Hyatt (Thanks to convention organizers).

For some stupid reason, you aren't allowed to use a luggage cart to haul your own bags up to your room, you're forced to have a bellboy take the bags instead (and pay a customary tip which I don't mind doing if I really wanted the service).

We had to pay to park across the street at the Chestnut street garage (like $40 for 3 nights). Out of principle, when you are patronizing a hotel at a convention, parking should be provided through a voucher system. Especially since it was over the weekend.

The convention hall on the third floor didn't even provide water and cups on the table. Only two limited water jugs (fancy gatorade types but made of different plastic) in the back on the convention hall with tiny 6 oz glasses. The convention hall that held 500+ peopple had a mens restroom with only 2 urinals and two stalls resulting in large lines. I pity the women who had to stand in their restroom line.

Even on Thursday afternoon at 3 pm , many of the food court places were closed. This was disappointing since we were under the impression that they had a full service food court. I can understand closing on Sunday or perhaps after dinner but most places weren't even open for dinner. A couple places I never saw open at all! The hotel shouldn't advertise having food court options if their tenants are closed most of the time.

Some of our friends were hassled by hotel staff for bringing beer into the hotel. This is some of the biggest bull ever experienced. I'm not sure if this was another one of their silly policies, if hotel staff felt the need to be the fun police, or if management was keen on having us drink at the bar at the 2nd level (where standard high end bar prices were the norm).

Some different friends decided to host a hospitality suite and they were routinely hassled by hotel staff for noise. (The hotel elevators have some silly "lights out" signs saying no noise after 9 pm). The thing about it was that people were not even yelling or screaming or having a large party, simply just a small gathering of a few folks in a HOSPITALITY SUITE. And it wasn't past 11 pm or anything.

The food at the Bar on 2 was actually tasty and the bar and waitstaff were very friendly. The steak tacos and pot stickers were delicious. I swapped fish stories and photos with one of the bartenders. Since they were friendly and the food was good, this is the only saving grace for not getting a 1 star review.

Room Tip: Don't get a suite on the 19th floor cause they will hassle you for everything even before 11 pm.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Stephen_Stewart, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Columbus, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Thank you for your review of Hyatt Regency Columbus! I am sorry to hear that you were not pleased with your experience with us. Please feel free to contact me personally if you would like to further discuss certain aspects of your stay. I will let the restaurant owners in the Food Court know that they have the opportunity for more business by extending their hours. Know that I am happy to hear that you were pleased with your experience with your culinary choices and our bar staff here at the hotel. I hope to have another chance to show you a flawless Hyatt stay the next time you find yourself in the area.
Warsaw, Poland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

I stayed at Hyatt Regency Columbus for a conference in November 2013. The hotel is generally nice but pretty large which can be problematic when fully booked. This was the case during my stay: all four elevators were quite busy, so I typically had to wait a few minutes to get upstairs/downstairs, and frequently my room was cleaned no earlier than after lunch. Nonetheless, the stay was nice: I really liked their conference facilities and the ballroom, and enjoyed breakfasts and dinners at the hotel restaurant. On top of that, the staff were really involved and proactive which made my stay even better.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review of Hyatt Regency Columbus! I am happy to read that you enjoyed our restaurant and conference facilities. I hope to have you with us again the next time you are in the area!
Ripley, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

My husband and I were in town for a concert. We left our room wondering whether to drive, take a cab, etc. We were met in the hall outside our room by a woman with a clipboard. We started chatting and ended up sharing our story that this performer's concert had been our first date 26 years ago. She looked up bus information for us and gave us the tip to ask the cab driver for a flat rate to the arena. She even said she might get tickets and go to the concert. When we arrived back in our room, there were 2 bottles of wine and a fruit plate- compliments of C.J. Church! How sweet!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Get a business room as it comes with the breakfast buffet. It was quite good. Excellent coffee.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your wonderful five star review of Hyatt Regency Columbus! We try to go above and beyond for each of our guests, and I am happy to hear C.J. did just that. Thank you for your kind remarks. I will be sure to pass them along to her. I hope you both had a great time at the concert, and thank you for choosing Hyatt Regency Columbus for your special time together.
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

I was attending a convention in Columbus and stayed at the Hyatt Regency at the Convention Center. This is probably the sixth year in a row we’ve stayed at this property for the convention.

Once again the Hyatt did a fabulous job hosting the convention. Our room was comfortable and quiet. The room was clean and everything worked in the room, the bed was very comfortable and there was a nice big flat-screen TV. The staff at this hotel bend over backwards to accommodate their guest, some of my best experiences dealing with hotel staff have been at this hotel.

Will definitely stay here again and highly recommend the Hyatt Regency Columbus for meetings and conventions.

Room Tip: Pay a little more for the Jr Suites, a lot more room and very comfortable.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Stephen_Stewart, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Columbus, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Thank you for your wonderful five star review of Hyatt Regency Columbus! We are always so happy to hear from our repeat customers. I hope you will continue to choose Hyatt Regency Columbus for your future conference-going accommodations!

Been to Hyatt Regency Columbus? Share your experiences!