“Great Location, Wonderful Staff” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Double Your Points
Ranked #35 of 142 Hotels in Columbus
Cincinnati
“Great Location, Wonderful Staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

I had the opportunity to spend an evening at the Hyatt Regency in Columbus in May. Overall, the hotel provided a very nice experience. It is conveniently located and attached to the convention center. It was clean and staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was well appointed and clean upon arrival. The beds were comfortable. Everything functioned as expected. Check-in and check out were a breeze. I had a room next to the elevator and vending machines - but could not hear them the entire night. While the Market Street restaurant was very good, I'd recommend grabbing lunch at the North Market venue - a farmers type market with fantastic foods, cheeses, desserts, spices and meats.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Stephen_Stewart, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Columbus, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Thank you for your review of Hyatt Regency Columbus. I am happy we could provide you with a wonderful stay and am glad that you enjoyed our friendly staff. I hope to see you again next time your travels bring you to Columbus.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

Perhaps I am the guilty of outsized expectations, but the hotel is a Hyatt Regency (which implies a better experience than a standard Hyatt), the hotel is architecturally significant, and the hotel has been recently remodeled. That being said, while there was nothing wrong with the hotel, per se, there really wasn't anything especially good about it either. For example:

The room was small-ish and very much business hotel standard. No big deal, I guess, but to me, standard = average = 3 dots.

The check in was inefficient. I waited for ten minutes while the one clerk dealt with a complex issue for the one guest ahead of me. Ever heard of backup staff?

The reports about slow/insufficient elevators is TRUE. It's a design issue for the property, and the local management is doing what it can by opening access to freight elevators during peak hours (not glamorous, but they get you there). Either Hyatt needs to invest in better lift technology, or just accept that this will be a persistent and fair guest complaint.

The valets were overburdened and have a really tough driveway to deal with. The driveway is quite small for a hotel this size and when they don't staff enough valets (which was the case each morning), the wait can be long. It's a building design issue (note the theme here?) made worse by staffing issues.

Finally, be forewarned. This is a property attached to the mid-sized Columbus convention center. The upside is that you have a short and easy walk to the very nice and hip Short North neighborhood. The downside is that big groups of not-so-experienced travelers can make the stay loud, hectic, and stressful if you prefer a more relaxed environment.

Location is great, the price offered via the website was very good, and the rooms are fine. Like I said, it's an average business hotel, not an exceptional one. If you get a great rate, go for it -- there's nothing really wrong here. if you are looking for a better-than-average experience, stay across the street at the Lofts or wait for the new Le Meridien opening in Short North in January 2015.

Room Tip: Rooms are pretty uniform, but the southwest-facing rooms (even numbers) have a better downtown view...
Green Features: Standard offerings and the usual Hyatt initiatives, which are all industry-standard or better.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Stephen_Stewart, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Columbus, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review Hyatt Regency Columbus. I am very sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations of Hyatt. I invite you to contact me directly to discuss any dissatisfaction you had during your stay. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our proximity to the Short North Arts District. I hope that you might give us another chance in the future to show you that your feedback has been taken to heart as well as the level of service of which we are capable.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

Maybe since I got a great price on hotel via Priceline, they gave me the room with dirty floor and bedding. I went to turn down the bed for my daughter and found sand like dirt all over the top sheet. Called downstairs and they said would send someone right up. I should have just changed rooms, the carpet had mutliple stains! We were in town for cheerleading competition, really after 11:00PM kids should not be running down the halls and banging doors. I did call downstairs and they sent security up to talk to children misbehaving. It finally quieted down and was able to get a few hours of sleep. The heating system was very loud and I could still hear the kids over that. The dirt, loud heat/air system and overall poor noise control between rooms and under doors will not have us staying at this hotel again!!!!!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your review of Hyatt Regency Columbus. I am sincerely sorry for the uncleanliness you experienced in your room and thank you for bringing the lack of housekeeping to my attention. I appreciate your feedback so that we can prevent any other guests from experiencing what you did. I encourage you to contact me directly to discuss your dissatisfaction with your stay. I hope to have another chance to earn your respect for the Hyatt brand, and to provide you with a great stay the next time you return to the area.
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

My room was pretty much standard. It had an extra little mirrored area outside the bathroom to use for makeup, liked that a lot. We had to have someone come and replace our heating unit motor because we had no heat, which should have been addressed prior to check in, but everything worked fine after that was resolved. Great shower pressure. There was minimal storage, just two small drawers in the cabinet that holds the fridge. No nightstand drawers or any other storage drawers. Basically the drawers held undgergarments for the two of us and that's all that would fit. The drawers had crumbs in the bottoms when we checked in. The drinking glasses had some type of white film in the inside and the bottom had a gooey, weird substance, yet they were turned over as if they had been cleaned and waiting for our arrival. The dust was so thick on the paneling in the bathroom and under the back of the toilet that I couldn't even tell what color anything was supposed to be. Clearly the toilet hadn't been cleaned properly in a very long time. There were also crumbs in all the corner areas of the room, greasy remote, filthy mirror above the desk, etc. Also, the maid that cleaned our room left our dirty breakfast glasses from our room service in the room (room service for two orders of french toast was over $50 and wasn't that great). A coat went missing during our stay that had not been worn since we checked in. Wi-fi is paid only, not free.

The location is great, just a couple short blocks from Short North and many great restaurants. There were also three places in the hotel to purchase/order food, which was nice even though the food was mediocre. The little coffee shop was the best, their fresh breakfast burritos were amazing and well above and beyond the quality of the actual restaurants. The convention center is connected to the hotel, so there are many places to eat there as well and some gift shops. I would consider staying here again because of the location but only if it is significantly cheaper than the hotel across the street. I expect to stay in a clean place and was very disappointed with that aspect of my stay.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review of Hyatt Regency Columbus. I apologize for the uncleanliness you experienced in your room and thank you for bringing the lack of housekeeping to my attention. I will be sure to send this to our Housekeeping Management to address. I am glad the location was ideal for you and that you enjoyed the many restaurants we have around us. I hope that the next time you are in Columbus, you will consider staying with us again.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

First trip ever to Columbus. Business, not pleasure. But the hotel made it pleasurable. I was warmly greeted at the front desk by Jessica--what an asset for the hotel to have Jessica greeting guests! She quickly assigned me to a room--it was one of the triangular rooms on an upper floor that offered an eagle's eye view of the city (and freight trains).

The room was cozy, clean, and everything I needed for my stay. The room had a small coffee pot and a small fridge. It only came with a stand-up shower (no tub) but that's all I needed. Water was immediately hot, so no need to let it run. It was a bit of a challenge to raise and lower the blinds. The in-room wi-fi has two speeds--I chose the lesser of the two based on cost ($9.95 per day for the lesser speed)--although being a Hyatt Gold Passport member ensured that my wi-fi charges were comp'd and did not show on my final bill. HINT HINT join Hyatt's Gold Passport program!

The property is co-located with the convention center. There is a massive food court just a short stroll from the main lobby--great place to eat. Mexican, Chinese, Greek, Pizza, deli, Indian, gourmet nuts, ice cream--you just can't go wrong there. The hotel only stocks Pepsi products, so if you are a purist like me and only drink Coke products, find the sundries store near the food court--they have Coke. $1.89 for a 20 oz bottle.

Read the other reviews of the property with a grain of salt. There's a lot of people who stay here for a variety of reasons. The elevators can be slow if you are staying on an upper floor--factor that in and don't get riled about it. And I found that the walls are a little thin when it comes to noisy kids running the halls at 11pm and room doors started slamming shut. The ironic part was the notices in the elevators that says to be quiet after 9pm because kids are sleeping--ha! Not on my floor.

There is a pool and work out room in the hotel--I didn't personally use it but others said it was good.

Overall, it was a good experience and if I ever return to Columbus, this is where I'll stay.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Stephen_Stewart, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Columbus, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Thank you for your wonderful review of Hyatt Regency Columbus. I am so glad you had an enjoyable business trip here. Your recommendation is very important to us, and I'm so happy that you were pleased with the guest room, service, and convenient location to the convention center. I will be sure to share your kudos to Jessica at the front desk. I hope to have you back here next time you are in town for business.
Chillicothe, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

Upon arrival, I wanted to valet. The entrance and valet area was seriously overcrowded and it took me at least 10 or 15 minutes to get my car in the lot and get on my way. This is a very populated hotel and area as it is the center of a very busy area of Columbus - the convention center and nationwide area.

Check-in at the hotel was good. Friendly front desk. I was supposed to have a King room in the area of my group I was with, but was told all they had was doubles. I still wanted a king even if it meant staying away from the group. I believe the room I got was an upgrade. It was called a panoramic king view. 18th floor - very high. Beautiful room. Very odd. Huge windows all the way around my room including in the bathroom, with shades of course. Beautiful views. But the room is on a corner so it is oddly small. But if you're alone or a couple, it should be big enough. However, the toilet is so very close to the walls it was pretty uncomfortable for a big guy. But the contents of the room - bed very nice, good tv, nice tub/shower, etc. Just a very unique room. If you don't mind heights, a beautiful view and an oddly structured room, this is a great one!

Also left my phone charger in my car. I went to the front desk and asked if valet could bring my car up so I could grab the charger and she insisted that valet just bring the charger from my car to my room. That was very thoughtful.

All around - I would stay here again. The beds were very comfy which is always a big one for me. A mix between firm and plush. Contemporary rooms, good shower/tub, nice tv, and room does come with fridge.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Stephen_Stewart, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Columbus, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Thank you for your review of Hyatt Regency Columbus. I'm very pleased that our guest rooms and customer service were very accommodating to you. I will be sure to share you feedback on the panoramic king and front desk service with our Director of Rooms. We value your feedback and greatly appreciate your taking a moment to share it with us. We hope to have you back with us next time you are in town!
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

First impressions are lasting! I was pleasantly greeted by the front desk clerk. (I think her name is Justine. If not, I recall that it starts w/ a J.) She was quite personable. She gave me the Wifi password, so I was able to connect without paying a fee.

The hotel is connected to the Columbus convention center, which is an added plus. Although there was a conference in the hotel and another in the conference center, I had no problems with the elevators.

I was pleased with the room. The furnishings were modern and the size was adequate. (I had enough room for yoga.) The pillows and bed were quite comfortable. My view faced the downtown area. I would suggest a high floor to lessen the noise of the freight trains.

Room Tip: Higher room have lessen the freight train noise.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your review of Hyatt Regency Columbus. Customer service is extremely important to us, and I'm so glad that you received exceptional service during your stay and enjoyed our guest rooms. I will be sure to share your experience with our front desk staff. I look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Been to Hyatt Regency Columbus? Share your experiences!