“High on Hyatt” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto
“High on Hyatt”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

This is my third review of the Hyatt Regency Columbus. We stay here annually as a participant in the Nationwide Children’s Hospital Columbus Marathon and Half Marathon. We made our reservation in February and received a race room rate. A week or so prior to the race, we received an email acknowledging our reservation and suggesting that we contact the hotel if we needed to modify our reservation to ensure a pleasant stay.

We live three hours from Columbus and wanted to arrive early in the city to avoid home game football traffic. On the off chance of checking in early, I stopped at the front desk at 12:15. I was greeted by Wil who said our room was ready. Wow. Check in 3 hours before the normal time? Sure, we’ll take it. I had requested room 1129 which is a good room for people watching. It was not available, but Wil said he could get us a room with a similar view: Room 1629. High. Perfect. All of the rooms have refrigerators but no microwaves for sanitation reasons. The refrigerators are turned ‘off’ to save energy. Ours cooled off nicely when turned to the highest setting.

We were surprised that the wi-fi charge was $9.95 per day. However, we did not ask the front desk to see if the fee could be waived. We have come to expect free wi-fi and most hotels we stay in do offer it.

Another reason to stay at the Hyatt is the easy, covered access to the Convention Center, location of the expo. The food court on the lower level of the Convention Center is also a convenient place to purchase sundries, get food, and tourist information. I took advantage of the coupon page and got 10% off a combo breakfast from Chick and Eggs.

I asked for a late checkout on Sunday morning after the race. That was not a problem, either: 1:00 p.m. was perfect. The hotel always has plenty of staff available for check-in and check-out. There is never more than one person waiting at any time.

Check out this property; you may be as high on Hyatt as we are.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Stephen_Stewart, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Columbus, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Thank you for your wonderfully thorough five star review of Hyatt Regency Columbus! I am glad we were able to exceed your expectations. Thank you for bringing your satisfaction with your experience with our Front Desk agent Wil to my attention. It is always good to hear that you have great people there to serve our guests. I hope you will stay with us again next year!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Sylvania, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

We were in town for the Columbus Marathon. Desk staff were helpful and accommodating. We requested a rollaway for our son and it was promptly delivered to the room at no extra cost. The room was large, well equipped, clean and quiet. Breakfast in the restaurant was good and only a little pricey. A good experience.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your five star review of Hyatt Regency Columbus! I am glad you enjoyed your experience with us for the Marathon,and hope you will choose to stay with us again next year!
Grand Rapids
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

We stayed here for a conference which was held in the hotel. Our room was spotlessly clean and the bed VERY comfortable. Every employee we came into contact with was very kind and helpful. The hotel has been recently updated and looks great! We had but 2 complaints: not enough elevators and no wi-fi in any of the conference rooms. Every time we needed to go back to our room or go from our room to the conference rooms, we had to wait anywhere from 5-15 minutes for an elevator. One night we finally climbed the 12 flights to our room (we were glad that we had asked for a room on a lower floor, and not something higher!). We were in at least 10 different conference rooms, and no one could get any wi-fi or cell service inside the rooms. Not cool when you need to be in contact with work/family. We would stay there again, but we'd surely love to see the wi-fi issue resolved before next year's conference!

Room Tip: If you are there for a conference/convention, choose a room at a lower level so that you don't h...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Stephen_Stewart, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Columbus, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Thank you for your five star review of Hyatt Regency Columbus! I appreciate your constructive feedback and hope to have you with us again for your conference next year!
Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Got a super rate on this through hotwire. I was pleasantly surprised that the hotel was connected to the convention center- as we were in town for the marathon and went to the expo. The entire staff was friendly and helpful. Our room was clean and the beds were heavenly. Location is close to everything. Parking isn't free- but it's downtown so that's not a surprise.

We moved hotels for the next night as we were staying with another group and I can say that this hotel was way nicer and cleaner.

Room Tip: Self pay is $20 I think and the valet is $25
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Stephen_Stewart, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Columbus, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful five star review of Hyatt Regency Columbus! I am so glad you enjoyed your time with us and hope to have you here again for next years marathon!
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

We booked this reservation through Priceline. I'm always nervous about blindly bidding on a room. However, I did check out the various travel sites before putting in a bid. I won the bid with an offer about $70 below the travel site rates. Upon checking in, we were delighted to find that the hotel was far superior than we expected.

The hotel is spare but somehow elegant. The service from the valet, bellman and front desk were second to none and the room is one of the nicest you'll find. Ours was a deluxe king (or some name like that) and was at least twice the size of a standard hotel room. The view is also incredible, looking over the whole city. I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing southwest (the large, angled side of the building). The views of Le Veque Towe...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Stephen_Stewart, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Columbus, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Thank you for your five star review of Hyatt Regency Columbus! We appreciate your positive comments and hope to have you with us again in the near future!
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I had a room with 2 double beds and the room was adaquate yet not as spacious as I intended for a hotel that cost $200.00/night which included valet parking. I was there for my convention and this was our group rate. The odd thing about the room was the flat screen was blurry. Try to watch the Bucs football with that. The front desk informed me that HD wasn't available. How cheap guys step it up!!!!! My opinion is why not stay at Polaris at the Holiday Inn or Best Western Suites. Each around $100.00. I'm not trying to sell the other hotels but I hate wasting money on putting my head on a pillow

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Stephen_Stewart, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Columbus, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Thank you for your review of Hyatt Regency Columbus! I apologize for the lack of HD viewing availability in our rooms. Thank you for your constructive feedback. I hope to have you with us again the next time you are in the downtown area.
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

This is a nice place to stay downtown. The overall features of the hotel aren't too distinguishable from others, but the reason I rate it so highly is the uniqueness of the Corner King rooms, in terms of style, design, and the amazing view. If you stay in one of those rooms, book the highest floor you can, and you won't be disappointed with the view.

Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Stephen_Stewart, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Columbus, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Thank you for your review of Hyatt Regency Columbus! I am glad you enjoyed your stay in one of our corner rooms, and hope you will return to stay with us again!

Been to Hyatt Regency Columbus? Share your experiences!