“Here for a Conference...Staff nice, hotel dirty!” 3 of 5 stars

Bed & Breakfast Package
Ranked #43 of 142 Hotels in Columbus
GreenLeadersSilver level
Colorado
“Here for a Conference...Staff nice, hotel dirty!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

The hotel is located right at the convention center. Easy access to meeting space. Lobby is small, bar is small (although they claim to have the largest bar top in the area?!). Starbucks is a kiosk area and does not offer much.

The room...dark, gray, drab. Floor is extremely dirty - needs a deep cleaning - I can always tell how good the housekeeping is by the edges of the carpet - if they are clean, then I know they pay attention to details. In this case, not so good. The bathroom floor was also dirty. I am wearing my shoes / socks just so my feet don't touch the floor.

Very noisy! Train outside the rooms and construction traffic - maybe in a month or so they will be done?

Staff has been nice and service has been fine. I wouldn't choose to stay at the hotel if I come back. I'll try the NEW Hilton across the street next time.

Room Rate $175 per night - not worth it....

Room Tip: Would suggest asking for a room that doesn't look over arena district - or near train tracks.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Tim_Dant, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Columbus, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to review Hyatt Regency Columbus! I apologize for the poorly cleaned carpet in your guestroom. Please note that the construction ongoing in our area is due to wrap up soon. I am sorry that it disturbed your stay. I am glad you enjoyed our proximity to the Convention Center and that you were happy with the service you received from our loyal Hyatt staff. I hope you will give us another chance to earn your business in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Kettering, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I stayed here while in town for the Columbus Marathon the hotel was very nice, clean and in a great location, the room was very spacious had a very nice flat screen tv. the mini fridge in the room was great also. I was most impressed by how friendly and helpful all parts of the staff were. I would highly reccomend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Tim_Dant, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Columbus, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Thank you so much for the wonderful five star review! I am glad you enjoyed the amenities in your accommodation, and that the staff was able to give you a great, memorable stay. I hope you will return to the Hyatt Regency Columbus the next time your travels bring you to the downtown area. Run hard!
Southwest Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

My client decided to hold a week long meeting here. While I have stayed at Hyatt Regencys before, this one fell well below expectations. But there were some positives.

First the positives. If you are attending a conference or convention at the Columbus Convention Center, this place is ideally located. There is a walkway directly to the Convention Center. Plus, the Arena is about a block away which makes this a convenient place to stay if you are going to a concert there.

The food during our meeting was phenomenal. Everyday was like a gourmet lunch! And the attention paid to us during our week long meeting was exemplary. As a matter of fact, in any interaction I had with the staff, they were terrific and very customer focused.

I found housekeeping to be very good, although my room could have been vacuumed more than just the one time I was there.

There are plenty of restaurants, pubs, bars all within walking distance. If you go, I would recommend a trip to North market, which is an indoor market with some very interesting food selections. And all reasonably priced.

Now the bad news. This hotel needs a major workover. Having stayed at other Hyatt Regencys, I was disappointed in the decor and style of the rooms. I got "upgraded" to a larger room, but it was actually a little uncomfortable as the chairs were not very comfortable to sit in. I would have preferred a regular room. Plus the lighting in this larger room was very poor. Even with every lamp on, the room was still very dark.

But the biggest issue was the construction going on outside. Evidently, because this is a very busy part of the city, and the streets and sidewalks all around the hotel are being overhauled, the city of Columbus must have decided that the best time to do it would be at night. I realize the hotel cannot do anything about this,but it does not discount the fact that the jack-hammers and construction trucks started their work at about 8:00 PM and it went on all night! If you go here, definitely ask if there is still a lot of construction going on right outside. And if there is, go somewhere else. I was on the 12th floor and the noise, even with my air-conditioner on, was still enough to disturb my sleep for five straight nights.

I was also disappointed in the TV service. There was a large screen HD TV in my room but no HD channels. Really? In today's day and age, an upscale hotel like Hyatt Regency has no HD channels available?

Internet was also expensive. A basic daily package was $9.95 per day, but if you want a higher speed service, it was $14.95 per day. I know all high end hotels charge for internet service, but it doesn't make this right.

If you are attending a convention in Columbus, you can't beat the convenience of this location. But ask if there is construction going on and ask for the highest floor you can get, to try to minimize the noise. If it wasn't for the construction, I would give a three star review, because the rooms are still old and run down.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Tim_Dant, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Columbus, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a well-thought out review of Hyatt Regency Columbus! I appreciate your comments and feedback. I wanted to let you know we are currently enhancing the hotel with a nice facelift. We have replaced worn carpet, given everything a fresh coat of paint and replaced outdated and well-used furniture.
Our city has also undergone a facelift. Adding in a new park across the street and several new buildings (hence the construction noise) That is now over and looks lovely.
Pay-for internet continues to be one of the most talked about amenities in the upscale hotel market. Most hotels (Marriott, Hilton, Westin, and Hyatt) charge for internet usage. We are as a company reviewing this procedure and I hope to be able to give you a positive update in the future.
I want to add that I do appreciate your candid feedback and your additional positive comments regarding our food and beverage and the great experiences you had with our staff.
I hope to have you return as our guest at the bustling Arena District Hyatt Regency Columbus in the future!
thousand oaks, ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

I am checked into the Hyatt Regency Columbus as I write this review. I read through many of the reviews posted here about the hotel prior to booking for myself and colleagues attending a conference. I made several phone calls and spoke to front desk staff as I was reading through the reviews. There are a few posts in this forum regarding noise, smells, slow elevators and lack of a safety deposit box in some of the rooms. The front desk staff person was very welcoming of my questions and professional in her answers. I was pleased when I checked in to find all my requests had been met. The rooms are spacious, clean and functional. The desk lighting, bed lighting and most important, bathroom lighting is great. Ladies, you'll be happy to know there is a lighted make-up mirror in the bathroom. We have over 1,500 people attending the conference and the elevators have not been an issue. I was told that they open up the service elevators if it does get busy.
After reading the posts, I changed my room rate to the AAA rate that includes a buffet breakfast for 2 in the restaurant. It includes an omelet bar with plenty of other choices for breakfast. Another tip I picked up was to park my car in the garage on a side street that is connected to the hotel via a skywalk for $14 a day that allows multiple entries and exits. When you pull into the registration area and check in, the front desk will give you a voucher and directions to the parking lot. The $14 fee is charged to your bill daily. The valet parking at the hotel is $24. Tonight we ate at the Big Bar on 2, the restaurant on the second floor. The food was outstanding. My friend and I split a salad and the 3-meat meatloaf and it was plenty of food. I don't find the rooms noisy or have any issues with smells. While the rooms are comfortable and functional, what makes this hotel stand out is the customer service. Tim Dant, the general manager has done a wonderful job training his staff to be professional, welcoming and friendly. As you read through the posts, you will find he takes the time to address each and every issue. He cares about your experience in his hotel and it shows. This is my first time in Columbus and often the first experience you have with a new city is the front desk staff at the hotel. They are ambassadors not only for the hotel but can also set the tone for the flavor of the city. The staff at the Hyatt Regency are friendly, welcoming and professional. This hotel is a perfect choice if you are here to attend a conference at the convention center. It's connected to the center through a walkway. Top notch experience so far. I can highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Tim_Dant, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Columbus, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Thank you so much for the well though out, in-depth, and all around complimentary five star review of Hyatt Regency Columbus! I am so glad you have enjoyed your guestroom, particularly the new lighted mirrors in the bathroom. We listened to travelers such as yourself and took your needs into consideration when designing our new guestrooms. I am glad to hear you were made aware of our secondary elevators and that you did not find elevator usage to be a problem. The great news about your restaurant experience is very welcome! Hyatt has spent a lot of time redesigning our culinary experience to help guests make healthy and delicious food choices. Lastly, let me thank you for your exemplary comments regarding our staff and the service you have received. I am very proud of all of them. I hope you will select Hyatt Regency Columbus the next time you come to the downtown area and give us yet another chance to give you a fantastic hotel experience.
michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Monthly there are meetings in Columbus that I attend to, and if and when I need to stay over its at the Hyatt, the room was cool, as I like it COOL!! Was on the top floor. no problem, the room was spacious and clean, the TV was in working order, the bathroom was clean as always

Room Tip: Ask when checking in, have a preference for a high or low floor?
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank yo so much for the five star review of Hyatt Regency Columbus! I am so glad you enjoy the hotel's many amenities while you are here, and the cleanliness of our guestrooms. Thank you for continuing to choose Hyatt for your frequent travel needs!
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

I booked a block of rooms for family/out of town guests and for myself for my wedding. The event staff greeted me and let me know the location of my guests as soon as i arrived. Valet was a little steep at $23 a day, but it was worth it for the convenience. My room was on the 19th floor, next to the hospitality suite that i had also booked. It had a great view of the city. Check in was a breeze. Theres a food court connected to this hotel with a few restaurants, seemed like it was a little overpriced as well. Overall a great experience, easy to find.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Tim_Dant, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Columbus, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Thank you so much for the wonderful five star review! I am so glad you and your families had a great experience with us for your special day. I hope you will comeback and visit us for your first anniversary!
Calgary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Checkin and Checkout were efficient. Generally hotel staff were helpful and pleasant. The room appeared clean but the carpeting was very dirty. My tan socks were blackened after 10 minutes in the room I had to wipe out the drawers in chests in order to remove crumbs and other material left by previous occupants. However, the bathroom was clean and towels were fluffy. I expected a greater standard of cleanliness from Hyatt.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Tim_Dant, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Columbus, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Thank you for the review of Hyatt Regency Columbus! I apologize for the lack of cleanliness in your guestroom and thank you for bringing it to my attention. I invite you to contact me directly with your stay particulars so that we can further discuss aspects of your stay. I am pleased that you were happy with the efficiency of service you received while staying as our guest. I hope to have you as our guest again in the future.

Been to Hyatt Regency Columbus? Share your experiences!