“Small room, poor housekeeping, disappointing” 2 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Double Your Points
Ranked #35 of 142 Hotels in Columbus
San Antonio, Texas
“Small room, poor housekeeping, disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

I haven't stayed at a Hyatt before but because this is the convention hotel for the convention I was attending I really didn't have a choice....I wish I did...

The room is tiny by American hotel standards. Barely 3 feet to the wall on one side, 5 feet at the foot of the bed and maybe 8 feet to the other side of the bed. The bathroom is so small that there is only inches between the toilet, wall and bath. A large person would have a heck of a time navigating in such a small space.

Pulling back the covers on the bed I discovered several small holes on the bottom sheet and also a rip over an inch in length. The street noise, even 12 floors up is quite distracting as though they didn't realize that they were building the hotel in the center of a noisy city. The capper was that the small tray that holds the "amenities" in the bathroom had hairs in it. Not the greatest housekeeping....

Finally, I am very noise sensitive, I specifically asked for a quiet room, and it is VERY easy to hear normal conversations going on in the hallway and the room next door (seems to be coming from a poor seal between rooms on the window side of the room). Sigh! It will be a long 4 days being stuck here. Once I am gone. I am GONE!

Room Tip: Some other folks said their room was adequately sized, some said they were really small so I am gues...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Tim_Dant, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Columbus, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Thank you for taking time to leave a review of Hyatt Regency Columbus. I apologize for the unsatisfactory housekeeping and elevated noise levels you have experienced. I invite you to contact me directly to further discuss aspects of your stay. We try to accommodate each of our guests beyond their expectations, and I do hope to have that opportunity with you. Again, thank you for the constructive criticism.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Red Wing, MN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

I really liked this hotel and found it to be an exceptional facility. Rooms were big, beds comfortable, and everything was nice and clean. I felt the same way about the convention center. I was impressed by this place and would definitely stay here again, if not for my bad encounter while checking in. If it wasn't for that, I would have given this facility 5 stars!

When I made my reservation, after choosing my room type, and note popped up and said something like this "would you like to be notified if an upgraded suite becomes available?". I checked 'yes'. Time passed; I was never notified of any upgraded room becoming available. Then, when I checked in, an extremely RUDE woman checking me in (named Chelsea) said the upgrade became available and that an extra dollar amount would be added to my room. I was surprised at this because I thought I would have been notified of that first. I told her I didn't need that room type, so I preferred just a standard room. She told me I should have read it better before I checked that box. I stood there stunned that she was being so rude about it. She then said it clearly says that the amount will be added to your bill when you check that box, and would I like her to show me that?? I said no, I didn't want to see it. I then said perhaps it was my mistake but the process apparently wasn't clear to me. I said they might want to check the process to make sure it's clear; she interrupted and said she has done it herself and knows it is perfectly clear. WORST worst service I had ever gotten. She finally, and very angrily gave me a regular room. She never smiled and she was extremely angry and rude. HORRIBLE!!!!!! I would have turned around and gone elsewhere if my conference wasn't there.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience at the Hyatt Regency Columbus. I was happy to hear you enjoyed the facility and that you will return again. I do apologize for the encounter you experienced in regards to the upgrade notification and the attitude you experienced in the explanation of your options. We have the e-standby upgrade option for guests who would like an upgrade at a discounted rate if still available at the time of check in and it is completely optional at check in. I look forward to you staying with us again in the future.
cincinnati
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

I spent two nights at this hotel, when attending a business function at the convention center. It has been a long time since I slept in a bed that seemed unused (ever) before my arrival. Everything was clean, neat, pristine. All the amenities were useful and the employees all spoke to me when encountered, no matter who they were, bellboy, housekeepers, maintenance people, everyone. The decor is modern, the TV screen very large, light switches can be reached from the bed, an iHome as an alarm clock, and more. I did not use the Hyatt parking lot, as it is the most expensive, but there is plenty of parking other places because of the Convention Center, including convention parking which is connected to the Hyatt....so you can park, check in and go on to your business in the convention center all without going out into the weather. If you have business in the convention center, wear comfortable shoes, as even though all is connected, it is quite a hike. I would stay there again in fact, I would like to have the time to walk around the city as there is plenty to see.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Tim_Dant, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Columbus, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Thank you so much for the stellar five star review of Hyatt Regency Columbus! I am so glad you had a peaceful night's rest and enjoyed the many updates we have added to our guestrooms with our 2011 renovation. We love our location in the Arena District and I hope you do get the opportunity to come back and explore our great city. Please think of Hyatt should your travels allow for a return.
Orlando, FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

This hotel is nice, and normal enough from what you'd expect from a Hyatt Regency... Until you get to your guest room. It smelled awful, like that of dirty feet or dirty laundry. Thought it was just my room, until 4 out of my 5 colleagues all had the same complaint in separate rooms on separate floors, not to mention the room next door to me, who I overheard the woman staying their yelling at the hotel staff for how horribly her room smelled.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of Hyatt Regency Columbus! I apologize for the odor you encountered in your guestroom. We try to provide a fresh smelling, tranquil environment for each of our guests, and it is apparent that we were unsuccessful on this occasion. Thank you for bring it to my attention, as it is something that we can address immediately. I hope to have another chance to provide you with a flawless stay the next time to return to the Columbus area.
Painesville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed here while attending a concert in the Columbus Arena District. The property is well maintained and has very updated furnishings. The location is a short walk to the Ballpark, Hockey Arena, and the Lifestyles Pavilion. We used the hotels restaurant for dinner and breakfast. Dinner was very good, and the breakfast buffet offered "build your own" omelettes and had lots of fresh fruit that was exceptional. I very highly recommend this hotel for a stay in Downtown Columbus.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for the great review of Hyatt Regency Columbus! I am so glad you enjoyed our location and breakfast buffet, and hope you had a great time at your concert! Please allow us to be of service the next time you visit the area.
Montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

This is a perfect place to stay if you are in the city for a big conference since the hotel is connected to the Columbus Convention centre.

The hotel is also located on one of the main streets the High Street North where you can find many local restaurants, galleries, shops, and other interesting activities. The hotel is also located near a nice quite park (for all you joggers out there:) ).

As for the hotel itself, there is a complimentary WIFI but it is only offered in the lobby or at the bar on the second floor. If you want WIFI in your room, the fee varies from 9$ to 18$ depending on the speed. The hotel has a valet parking for 24$ for 24h, but I would recommend parking across the street in a self-parking for 14$ for 24$ (ask the valet at the entrance and they will gladly help you find the place). On my part, I was in Columbus for a conference, so I did not get to taste the hotel’s breakfast, but if you do not want to eat at the hotel, there are numerous and delicious places on High Street North (from local breweries, to local cafes, to steak house, sushi, etc).
Great place to stay.

Room Tip: I recommend parking across the street at half the price
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for the thorough review of Hyatt Regency Columbus! I am glad you enjoyed our proximity to the Columbus Convention Center. We love our location in the downtown area as it provides our guests with many options to find entertainment and, yes, even some nice, quiet green space here in the busy downtown area. I hope to have another opportunity to be of service the next time your conference travel needs bring you to our city.
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

This was one of those nightmares. While the hotel seemed decent and was recommended by the locals, everything was a disappointment.
Upon check in, it was explained to me that they only put reservations from the service I used into rooms with two beds. No exceptions. I couldn't even pay for an upgrade.
Once in the room, the big surprise was revealed. The room was directly behind the elevators. And you could clearly hear the elevator cars each time they passed. This was not a minor sound, it was like a cart slowly rolling by each time. To make matters worse, I could clearly hear anyone in the elevator lobby having a conversation. It's like there is no soundproofing at all in these rooms. When I requested to move to another room, I was told that there were none available -- which I suspect was related to me using a discount service to book the room (the hotel did not seem that busy.)
There are signs throughout the hotel reminding guests to keep noise to a minimum in the evening. I guess that's because this place is too cheap to soundproof and insulate the rooms. The short story is this: I got virtually no sleep in a room that cost me good money.
The constant noise, unhelpful staff and lack of sleep really put me off of this property. Maybe they will step up their game when the new Hilton opens later in 2012. In the meantime, I cannot recommend this property. If you have to book here, absolutely demand (and keep a record) that you NOT be put in a room by the elevators.

Room Tip: Avoid the elevator rooms.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Tim_Dant, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Columbus, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Thank you for reviewing Hyatt Regency Columbus. I am so sorry you did not have a good experience with us. I can assure you that we do try to attend to every guest's requests, and it is very unfortunate that we were not able to room change you due to elevated occupancy levels. I invite you to contact me directly to discuss your dissatisfaction with your stay. I hope to have another chance to earn your respect for the Hyatt brand, and to provide you with a great stay the next time you return to the area.

Been to Hyatt Regency Columbus? Share your experiences!