“Good but not Excellent” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Columbus at Capitol Square Hotel

Save Saved
You added Sheraton Columbus at Capitol Square Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Columbus at Capitol Square Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   75 East State St, Columbus, OH 43215 (Formerly Hyatt on Capitol Square)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #61 of 139 hotels in Columbus
Columbus, Ohio
“Good but not Excellent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at the Sheraton Columbus at Capital Square. Here are the pros and cons based on our experience:

Pros:

~Clean room (no b. bugs)
~Excellent dinner and breakfast through
room service
~Pay per view movies (I don't normally list this in my reviews. However, this hotel does not list this amenity on their web site.)
~Nice decor in room (It is obvious that this hotel has been recently renovated.)
~Comfortable bed
~Spacious bathroom
~Good customer service

Cons:

~The A/C was underpowered (We had this same issue at this hotel when it was a Hyatt. We were hoping that Starwood upgraded the A/C units when they converted the hotel to a Sheraton. Unfortunately, this was not the case.)
~Do not rely on a wake up call (We ordered 2 wake up calls. One at 6:30 am and another at 6:45 am. We did not receive either wake up call and ended up oversleeping. Be sure to set the alarm if you stay at this hotel.)

Overall, our stay was a pleasant experience and this is a nice hotel.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
SheratonDowntown, Manager at Sheraton Columbus at Capitol Square Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear Chops1971,

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. As a management team, we take all comments seriously and share them with our staff, so we may resolve any and all issues. We apologize for the underpowered AC and the missed wake-up calls in the guestroom this is not a standard and we are addressing these issues with our front desk and engineering department. We are very happy to know you enjoyed your overall guestroom and Room Service experience at the Sheraton Columbus Capitol Square and we hope to see you again for your next stay in Columbus! Again, thank you for the comments, which will help us in our ongoing efforts to improve our service.

162 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

I love this place! The staff is always very friendly and welcoming. The rooms are clean and they feel quite spacious . The beds are comfortable and the views of downtown Columbus are great. I definitely recommend staying here!

• Stayed August 2013
Dear kevi747,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and feedback. I will share this feedback with our team in the entire hotel. It is always great to hear compliments about our staff and guestrooms. You have been added to the long list of guests that love our beds. We are very happy to know you enjoyed your time at the Sheraton Columbus Capitol Square and we hope to see you again for your next stay in Columbus!

Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Was at this hotel recently with coworkers for a business trip. The facilities were very nice - including the conference center we used. (AV equipment readily available). The hotel restaurant breakfast was very tasty. Staff was very friendly. Everything is mostly within walking distance from hotel or short cab ride.

Room Tip: Choose high floored room with view of Capitol building.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Lulu2828,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and feedback. I will share this feedback with our team in the entire hotel. It is always great to hear compliments about our staff, food, and conference facilities. We are very happy to know you enjoyed your time at the Sheraton Columbus Capitol Square and we hope to see you again for your next stay in Columbus!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I thought I would not enjoy my stay at this hotel because I had called at least five (5) times to request an E-mail confirmation of my reservation and never did receive the confirmation of my reservation even though hotel promised to send out a confirmation via E-mail. (I considered this very poor customer service).
I was pleasantly surprised when I arrived at the hotel on July 9, 2013. The front desk staff was very accommodating and professional. My room met and exceeded my expectations. I had a king room, very nice.
The meeting space for my convention was well prepared and accommodated all our group needs.
My only problem was the restaurant and the meal service with the convention. The kitchen did not know how to prepare beef properly. The steak in the restaurant was tough and grisly and the beef at the banquet was also tough. I had three other meals one in the restaurant and two convention meals that were good. So only problem I experienced was with the prep of my beef meals.
The meeting rooms were too cool for the most part, needed a sweater, light jacket or sweatshirt to be comfortable during our meetings, the hotel staff had been contacted and they attempted to adjust the temperature in our meeting spaces without success.
I checked out on July 14, 2013 and had quite a long wait as the front desk appeared understaffed at the busy time between 11:00 AM and noon.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
SheratonDowntown, Manager at Sheraton Columbus at Capitol Square Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear daDA144,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and feedback. I will share this feedback with our team in the entire hotel. It is always great to hear compliments about our staff and services. We apologize for the issue with the reservation confirmation and the preparation of the beef meals. Please let us know next time you stay with us and we could send you a manual version of a confirmation. We hope to see you again for your next convention and/or stay in Columbus!

All Over
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Stayed here before a half marathon and the hotel is very nice. Great location downtown with a starbucks inside. Beds were comfortable and the rooms were nicely decorated, but small. Lots of places to eat nearby which I prefer and the staff were great at providing highly rated and popular restaurants. I would stay here again. Oh and it's not far from THE Ohio State. I actually walked there and stopped at several little shops and cafe's along the way there and back. Very upscale neighborhood and lots of people out during the weekends so don't hesitate to take a stroll and venture out.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Dear WorldTravelSnob,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and feedback. I will share this feedback with our team in the entire hotel. It is always great to hear compliments about our staff, newly renovated guestrooms, and convenient location downtown to many area places to eat. We are very happy to know you enjoyed your stay at the Sheraton Columbus Capitol Square and we look forward to seeing you again for your next stay in Columbus!

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I think this is one of the nicest hotels I've stayed at in a long time. I stayed here for a conference and did not have an issue with anything during my stay. There is free internet access in the lobby or you can pay $9.99 for 24-hour Wi-Fi access. There is a Starbucks in the hotel if you are a coffee drinker, as well as a coffee maker in the rooms.

The area has a few restaurants and stores around. There is also a University close by as well (not OSU). You can walk to most areas of downtown if you have the ability to get out and walk.

The only drawback is the valet service. The valet company is not through the hotel but a separate company. Depending on how busy things are, it may take 20 minutes (or more) to get your vehicle. If you call down for the vehicle then it takes less time (approx. 10 mins). You can always try to get parking in one of the decks around the hotel; just be cautious. A friend of mine found parking in a deck for $5/day, but his vehicle was broken into.

Room Tip: If you can, try to get a room on the 20th floor or higher so that you can get into the Club Lounge.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear CUTiger81,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and feedback. I will share this feedback with our team in the entire hotel. It is always great to hear compliments about our services, numerous amenities and convenient location to many local area attractions. The location of the Valet Parking is convenient to the hotel, but unfortunately the street lights and one way streets do not always allow for a consistent quick retrieval of the parked car. We are very happy to know your stay and conference was exceptional at the Sheraton Columbus Capitol Square and we look forward to seeing you again for your next stay in Columbus!

florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Stayed here one night. Some trainees at the front desk and some initial confusion about room type reserved and Starwood status but the lovely manager on duty staightened it out and we had a very comfortable stay. If you do choose the club lounge it is a very nice one with great views of downtown. They do have breakfast there on the weekends but note that it does not start till 0730. Location is 1 mile south of the convention center so there is a walk involved if you are going there. Parking overnite is $23. Not sure where they park the cars but you need to give them 15' lead time to get your vehicle.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear bigsky3,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and feedback. I will share this feedback with our team in the entire hotel. It is always great to hear compliments about our staff, services, and convenient location to local areas like the Convention Center. The location of the Valet Parking is convenient to the hotel, but unfortunately the street lights and one way streets do not always allow for a consistent quick retrieval of the parked car. Our Sheraton Club is definitely an amenity we are proud of with the great views, indoor/outdoor spaces, the breakfast, and the evening hors d’oeuvres. We are very happy to know your stay was exceptional at the Sheraton Columbus Capitol Square and we look forward to seeing you again for your next stay in Columbus!

Sincerely, Manager at the Sheraton Columbus Capitol Square

Been to Sheraton Columbus at Capitol Square Hotel? Share your experiences!