“Superb Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Columbus at Capitol Square Hotel

Save Saved
You added Sheraton Columbus at Capitol Square Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Columbus at Capitol Square Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   75 East State St, Columbus, OH 43215 (Formerly Hyatt on Capitol Square)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #63 of 140 hotels in Columbus
Kingston, Canada
“Superb Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

This hotel, across from the Capitol Building in Columbus, is ideally located for business or travel. The parking was easy, the checkin was efficient, the hotel room was spacious and well kept. This is a superb choice when visiting Columbus.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
SheratonDowntown, Manager at Sheraton Columbus at Capitol Square Hotel, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear sandbanks1952,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and feedback. I will share this feedback with our team in the entire hotel. We are very happy to know that you appreciated our location, parking, and guestrooms. Sheraton strives to exceed the guest experience and I am pleased that you shared this feedback. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again for your next stay in Columbus!

180 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Canyon Lake, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

House keeping in this hotel definitely needs an over haul. We are talking about a Sheraton Hotel. I would expect at least the room to be clean. With that said they also charge 10 a day for Internet. Ridiculous! A Super 8 Has higher standards.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
SheratonDowntown, Manager at Sheraton Columbus at Capitol Square Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear mystiss,

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. As a management team, we take all comments seriously and share them with our staff, so we may resolve any and all issues. I apologize for the housekeeping issues experienced during your stay. If you are willing to provide additional information on specific housekeeping concerns that you would like to share with our management team, please send an email to GuestService@sheratoncolumbuscapitolsquare.com so we may address it with you directly. Again, thank you for the comments, which will help us in our ongoing efforts to improve our service.

Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

very good location - just one block from the state capitol. plenty of restaurants, shops, etc. within easy walking distance. check in was friendly and efficient. room was spacious. in general, room was generally clean - however it appeared that the room had not been dusted anytime recently . all flat surfaces seemed to have a layer of dust. needed some foam pillows - took 45 minutes to get them delivered. valet parking staff was very good. for some reason could not get comfortable in the nice big king bed. sheets seemed rough - not sure if they just use cheap thread count or something else. would be willing to give this place another shot

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
SheratonDowntown, Manager at Sheraton Columbus at Capitol Square Hotel, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear jon s,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and feedback. I will share this feedback with our team in the entire hotel. It is always great to hear positive comments about our hotel and staff. I apologize for the dust in the room, which should have been caught prior to your arrival. Also, there are foam pillows in each room and I apologize for the long wait to receive additional foam pillows. As far as the sheets, we use the standard Sheraton 300 Count Cotton Blend sheets that are part of the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper ensemble. We are very happy to know you enjoyed your overall experience at the Sheraton Columbus Capitol Square and we hope to see you again for your next stay in Columbus!

Saint Louis, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I booked this hotel through Priceline since the room rates seemed high through Sheraton. The hotel was very nice and up to par with most other SPG properties I have stayed at. The restaurant/lounge on the second floor was great with good service and a great happy hour. ($2.50 for draft beer) Unfortunately when I booked this trip a family emergency came up so I had to change my checkin from Tuesday to Wednesday, hoping they would be able to move my Tuesday night reservation to Thursday. Not only would they do NOTHING to help me out, I had to call and speak with about 4 different people just to keep them from cancelling my entire reservation since I wouldnt be able to check in into Wednesday!! (You will cancel my reservation for the night I payed for??!? I understand that since I booked through a third party that there are no refunds and no change options. However, whenever I spoke to anyone at this hotel they acted as if they are completely helpless against any reservation that is booked through a third party. Really?? The fact that they would insult my intelligence and act like they cannot move rooms around is laughable. Priceline (or any other third party booking agent) does not dictate what the hotel can or cannot do. I am a frequent business traveler so it annoyed me greatly that they wouldnt do anything for me when I asked. So I gave them once last chance as I was checking out to make up for the lost night (at $150 a night) in any way, and the lady rudely told me SORRY, we cannot do ANYTHING FOR YOU! Horrible customer service and I will not be back.

Dear Tim D,

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. As a management team, we take all comments seriously and share them with our staff, so we may resolve any and all issues. I apologize for the confusion on the 3rd party reservation and unfortunately their rules restrict us at the hotel from making changes to any reservation in most cases. If booking through Sheraton or Starwood, our rates are more flexible than a 3rd party. It sounds as though you may have already addressed these issues with our management team, but if you would like to discuss any other issues with a member of the hotel management, please send an email to GuestService@sheratoncolumbuscapitolsquare.com so we may address it with you directly.

Columbus, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I stayed at this hotel several times when it was the Hyatt and once since it became the Sheraton. Each time I stayed there the level of hospitality and the cleanliness of the room got worse. I even got a room for my mother and father in law's wedding anniversary as a present for them. What a mistake. Although the food was amazing (Plaza restaurant on the Mezzanine level is 5 star), the room was dirty (stained carpet, old wallpaper, cracked tile in the bathroom), and the staff was egregious. I complained about it smelling like smoke in the room and the manager rudely told me that it was a non smoking hotel. Like I must be crazy! The walls are paper thin and there were some guests partying in there the last time I stayed there. Kept me up all night. Now the food has gone downhill too. That really was the last thing they had going for them and they must have changed restaurant managers when the Sheraton took over. If you have to stay in downtown Columbus, do yourself a favor. Stay at the Westin, the Red Roof Inn, or the Crowne Plaza. This hotel is one of the worst. And for the money you could stay at a much much nicer property.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear TBenit,

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. As a management team, we take all comments seriously and share them with our staff, so we may resolve any and all issues. You may have already addressed these issues with our management team, but if you would like to discuss any other issues with a member of the hotel management, please send an email to GuestService@sheratoncolumbuscapitolsquare.com so we may address it with you directly.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

This place opened as a Hyatt 20 years ago and has declined with time. Just fine if you need to be in downtown Columbus for business, but not a destination. Barely adeiquate restaurant and other facilities

Dear Studaddy7,

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. As a management team, we take all comments seriously and share them with our staff, so we may resolve any and all issues. After just completing a full top to bottom renovation just a few months ago, we would like to know if there are specific issues that you would like to discuss with our management team, please send an email to GuestService@sheratoncolumbuscapitolsquare.com so we may address it with you directly.

Tampa, FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We have stayed at this Sheraton twice. The first time, I asked the check-in clerk whether they had ever had bed bugs (almost as a joke). But what she replied to me was no joke: she said, "I haven't heard that we have, but if we did, I certainly wouldn't tell YOU about it!". Huge red flag number 1. The second time we stayed there I couldn't remember much about the room or anything else about the hotel's lay out, restaurant, etc. When I walked in, the check-in clerk's comment came flooding back. When we hit the room the second time, I recalled why so little of the first visit was stored in my brain: it is very forgettable. Though updated, the room and bathroom are very dark (insufficient light in the bathroom). One of my biggest complaints was that the shower is VERY anemic. It took me about three times as long to take my morning shower. Also, they have these HUGE pillows. Now, I know a lot of people who like small pillows. I called after the first night to ask if they could bring up a smaller, foam (squishy) pillow. They said they didn't think they had any but that they would "look". Isn't that what a hotel specializes in? Pillows, a bed? Worse, they told me, "Most people love our big pillows", making me feel that I was weird for wanting a smaller one. NOT cool. I do not recommend this hotel. We will be staying elsewhere on our next trip to Columbus in May.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Sheraton Columbus at Capitol Square Hotel? Share your experiences!