“Good location, good room, great gym.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Columbus at Capitol Square Hotel

Save Saved
You added Sheraton Columbus at Capitol Square Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Columbus at Capitol Square Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   75 East State St, Columbus, OH 43215 (Formerly Hyatt on Capitol Square)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #66 of 140 hotels in Columbus
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Good location, good room, great gym.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I stayed here for a full week on business. The room was great, the staff was helpful upon arrival. I don't normally need help with luggage, but was glad I needed help - the porter was a wealth of information about the hotel. The public area is newly remodeled and there is a very nice Starbucks off the lobby. It was snowy during my stay, so I was delighted to be able to walk to restaurants. I went to the gym - it is small but well equipment and there is a spectacular view from the cardio area. I was amazed at the number and variety of cardio and weight machines. The hotel was perfect for the trip and multiple days. Valet parking durning morning rush was a bit slow, so I learned to call down early.

Room Tip: Had a room near the elevator - so it was large and there was no noise.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
SheratonDowntown, Manager at Sheraton Columbus at Capitol Square Hotel, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear AnnieO11,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and feedback. I will share this feedback with our team in the entire hotel. It is always great to hear a story of our staff being attentive to guest needs and requests because that is what we strive for at Sheraton. We are very proud of our fitness area, it is probably one of the largest and has the best view of any of the other downtown hotels. We are very happy to know you enjoyed your time at the Sheraton Columbus Capitol Square and we hope to see you again for your next stay in Columbus!

197 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for a few nights to attend a conference with OACAA for second straight year and had a very pleasant experience. Valets were attentive, front desk agents were remarkably polite, Vern in banquets was kindly helpful, and I must also add that in all my years of staying in hotels I have never been more intrigued and impressed by any employee than the young man Bobby. He was miraculously superb with being compassionate and amicable while assisting our group with a variety of requests in a timely efficient manner. The renovation has made tremendous progress! Hats off to you Sheraton!

• Stayed January 2013
Dear LovrlyEe,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and feedback. I will share this feedback with our team in the entire hotel. It is always great to hear positive feedback of our Associates. Bobby and Vern definitely receive many positive comments and this type of service is our goal and what we strive for everyday. We are very happy to know you liked out almost 10 million dollar renovation and enjoyed your time at the Sheraton Columbus Capitol Square. We hope to see you again next year or for your next stay in Columbus

Charlotte, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

This hotel is newly updated and the rooms were nice and clean. We stayed here for 1-night after spending 2 nights at they Hyatt Convention Center Hotel, just a mile up the road. There was a difference in staff professionalism, location and amenities. The staffing level was weaker and less professional for it's Star Class at the Sheraton with fewer valets, housekeeping and desk personnel. Everything took longer. The amenities were thin, but I do want to add they had a great internet cafe area that had free internet and multiple computers in the main lobby. Many times you only have a few computers or have to pay. This is a nice feature and I hope they keep it. The lounge area was nice as well.

Our views were great, overlooking a newly built park area in downtown Columbus. There is a small attached shopping plaza with a Starbucks and few stores and the streets are walkable, but there is not a lot to see or walk to in this area and it seems more quiet at night. Anyone can stay here, but it's ideal for business or conference meetings and not family or vacationing couples. For it's class I give it an average rating given lack of amenities, staff and location. We did get a good price being mid-week and if you get a fair price, do enjoy, but you'll have to drive to more attractions than you can walk so for those on an urban vacation I receommend the area closer to the arena and short-north districts just a mile above. Enjoy your trip!

Room Tip: Best View of room seems to be overlooking the large park nearby.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear DBTrips-NC,

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. As a management team, we take all comments seriously and share them with our staff, so we may resolve any and all issues. It is great to hear that you enjoyed our LINK@Sheraton (business center in the lobby) and appreciated the view from your guest room. We hope to see you again for your next stay in Columbus!

SAINT LOUIS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I stayed here off and on for a number of years, including under their previous management. They have been consistantly top notch - clean rooms, good meals from room service, very quiet and accomodating of room requests.

Pluses: Location to government offices downtown, but downtown dining is hit and miss. Fortunately they have a decent restaurant if not a real extensive menu. I recommend the bread pudding if you have a sweet tooth.

Minuses: No Pepsi products. Recent changes have not been to my liking: replaced sports bar with a Starbucks. Moved flight check-in computer away from front desk so there is no one to help you if, for example, the printer connection is not working (as was the case this last time).

Room Tip: Get a higher floor for a good view of the city.
Dear JOHN D,

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. As a management team, we take all comments seriously and I will share this feedback with our team in the entire hotel. There is not a designated flight computer, but there are numerous computers in the business center (LINK@Sheraton) available to use complimentary. As of now all printer issues are fixed, but as always are front desk staff is available to assist with any computer issues. . We are very happy to know you enjoyed your time at the Sheraton Columbus Capitol Square and we hope to see you again for your next stay in Columbus or for your next craving of the wonderful bread pudding!

Ypsilanti, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

I had a good stay the Sheraton Columbus Capitol Square. The check in was smooth, (no platinum suite upgrades) my room was clean spacious and well appointeed. The furnishings appeared to be updated, the decor was tasteful. My roon was rather cool, I was unable to adjust the thermostat to a comfortable temperature. The Club Lounge was awesome, great treats in the evening and a nice breakfest in the morning.....over all a good stay.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Dlclay1,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and feedback. I will share this feedback with our team in the entire hotel. As far as the lack of Platinum upgrade, we have very few suites, so they do sell out fast and generally far in advance. It is always great to hear that the Lounge is awesome because we have quite a few guests that utilize that upgraded amenity. Sorry to hear about the temperature in your guestroom, please let us know in the future if that is an issue and we can fix that for you so you are more comfortable during your stay. We are very happy to know you enjoyed your overall time at the Sheraton Columbus Capitol Square and we hope to see you again for your next stay in Columbus!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I've been staying here on a weekly basis for the past 6 months.

Location: Ok - It's downtown, but not within walking distance to much, so going out for dinner is usually a car ride away. At least there's a Starbucks connected to it from the lobby. There's a free shuttle in the mornings and evenings, but only 1, so you might have to wait a while. The shuttle takes you places within a 2 mile radius.

Decor: Great - Newly renovated, the decor looks very welcoming and relaxing. Even though it's newly renovated, it looks as if some of the renovations were done cheaply, especially the elevators which I noticed had some of the brand new panels falling off.

Rooms: Good - Newly renovated and clean. Similar to the lobby, nice contemporary design.
However, they have some maintenance issues - I've encountered some very weak toilets, a broken HVAC, and during one very cold week the HVAC just didn't have enough juice to warm the room. Albeit, this particular room was one of the larger ones. When I closed the door to the bathroom (also very sizable), the room was warm. But this left the bathroom unheated and freezing. The bathroom had temperature controls but it didn't appear to be hooked up to anything.

Service: Good - staff is friendly. I'm not a needy traveler so I haven't needed to ask them for much. The one thing I noticed was that room service is somewhat inconsistent - sometimes they're swamped and take forever. I've eaten many things off the menu having stayed there so long and even the same dish will not always be consistent in flavor (e.g. the wings have ranged from flavorless to delicious). Sometimes, chicken was undercooked (both wings and on salad). The ingredients seems pretty fresh and the prices are not bad though.

Facilities: Gym is a bit too small and it feels cramped. Restaurant is usually empty and the menu is limited. Still, decor is nice. The Club is on a high floor and feels roomy.

I've stayed several times at the Renaissance a few blocks away, and I like this hotel better - feels more homey. However, the Renaissance does have some more restaurant options within walking distance.

Dear dcbuddyobuddy,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and feedback. It is always great to hear positive feedback of the renovation and the new Starbucks. As a management team, we take all comments seriously and I will share this feedback with our team in the entire hotel, so we may resolve any and all issues. We are very happy to know you enjoyed your time at the Sheraton Columbus Capitol Square. We hope to see you again for your next stay in Columbus!

Cleveland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Stayed at hotel recently for a business trip. Hotel is going under renovations, but as a guest saw no sign of it. New rooms were great. Furniture and accents made the room enjoyable. Bed was very comfortable. Valet was great and the front desk staff was helpful. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: Away from Elevators
Dear tbennettstmartin,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and feedback. I will share this feedback with our team in the entire hotel. It is always great to hear a story of our staff being attentive to guest needs because that is what we strive for at Sheraton. We are very happy to know you enjoyed your time at the Sheraton Columbus Capitol Square and we hope to see you again for your next stay in Columbus!

Sincerely, Manager at the Sheraton Columbus Capitol Square

Been to Sheraton Columbus at Capitol Square Hotel? Share your experiences!