“Good choice for Columbus” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Columbus at Capitol Square Hotel

You added Sheraton Columbus at Capitol Square Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Columbus at Capitol Square Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   75 East State St, Columbus, OH 43215 (Formerly Hyatt on Capitol Square)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #71 of 142 Hotels in Columbus
Huntington Beach, California
“Good choice for Columbus”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel several times in the past and it's always been very nice. The rooms are clean and the staff are always helpful and friendly. The location isn't ideal but there are things to walk to if you know which direction to go and the weather cooperates. There are about 6 or 7 computers in the lobby for guests which is important to me since I don't travel with one.
I don't know where the valet parks cars but it takes quite a while to get your car. Call ahead if you don't want to wait 20 mins.-they do have signs posted to warn of this. I would recommend this hotel and would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
SheratonDowntown, Manager at Sheraton Columbus at Capitol Square Hotel, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear JohnBunts,
Thank you for the positive review of our hotel. I will share this feedback with our team in the entire hotel. We do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback received. I do apologize for the longer wait with valet parking. Valet cars are parked in the covered garage right next door, however depending on traffic and traffic patterns on the route back to the front of the hotel the wait could be a bit longer. Yes, calling ahead for your car is recommended during peak traffic times.
We are very happy to know you enjoyed several times at the Sheraton Columbus at Capitol Square and we hope to see you again very soon for your next stay in Columbus!

Sincerely, Manager at the Sheraton Columbus Capitol Square

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Columbus, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

A close friend of mine booked a suite at the Hyatt on Capital Square - State Street on October 27th for a wedding gift - we were married that day and after the ceremony were tired and just wanted to get into a comfortable room.

We arrive - had the valet take our car - the wait was about 10 minutes for that; we get to the check in desk and they had our reservation but said that the room had not been paid for. My friend had already called at 5:00 that day to confirm that everything was fine - she had faxed over her credit card information and everything else they needed - the clerk said he couldn't find it. He expected us to pay for this room. I said no way - we would just leave.

So I called my friend's sister and she spoke to the manager and she ended up paying for our room with her card. Needless to say both women were furious at our treatment. She explained we had just gotten married and were tired and the room had been paid for.

The manager insinuated that my friend who had booked the room hadn't talked to anyone there - that she was lying; and they acted like we were trying to commit identify fraud.

For such an expensive hotel the service was abominable. I will never stay there again and I will never recommend it. So after my friend ended up paying the manager said he would upgrade our room.

If what we got was an upgrade I'll take an economy MOTEL anytime over this. The fact was: we got a regular room - we walk in - no lights in the bathroom - a dirty washcloth on the shower rod.

My friend had also ordered champagne for us and flowers and chocolates on the bed; none of these items were in the room. When she finally got ahold of me she asked if these items were in the room - I said no. So she spoke to the manager and identified the people at the hotel that she had spoken to - apparently he was familiar with the people she had spoken with - and also apparently they don't do their jobs well.

We did not notify anyone of the light situation - we just wanted to go to bed - we were exhausted from a very long day. We left early in the morning and will never go there again.

I found out when I returned to work that this manager assured my friend that they were sending up hot appetizers and a mini-bar to our room - she thought this had been done - IT HAD NOT. I don't know whose room they sent these items to but it wasn't ours.

So he lied to her - a hotel manager LYING? Then I find out that they DID charge her credit card - gosh I thought he said they didn't have her information? So more lies????? And they charged her for the items that we never saw!!!!!!

This place was a rinky dink dive and a disgrace to Columbus - to lie to a guest saying they were upgrading our room - to find nothing that had been ordered - to have no lights in the bathroom - dirty washcloth - really? THIS IS AN UPGRADE??? Do they even clean the rooms? We were half afraid to sleep in the bed.

Our perfect wedding day ended up being a miserable wedding night - we would have rather just gone home or gone to a motel out of the city which would probably have been more guest friendly.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Mary D,
Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. As a management team, we take all comments seriously and share them with our staff, so we may resolve any and all issues. We understand that you have already addressed these issues with our management team, but if you would like to discuss any other issues with a member of the hotel management, please send an email to GuestService@sheratoncolumbuscapitolsquare.com so we may address it with you directly.
michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Our room was large and comfortable. The bed was the most comfortable bed I've slept in at any hotel. The bathroom needed a little deep cleaning and turning on the shower was rather difficult but not worth complaining. The hotel bar was out of all my favorite beverages but made up for it by offering a more expensive champagne at the same price. I did not feel the bar prices were out of line. All staff we encountered were pleasant and helpful. I wish we had more time that weekend to walk around downtown.

North Olmsted, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

The front desk staff was very welcoming and helpful. The room was clean and modern with a large flat screen TV and radio/Ipod docking station. The bathroom was wonderful with a large counter and shower. The Starbucks located in the lobby was great. The breakfast buffet was way overpriced. $40 for myself and my 3 year old....$4 for a glass of apple juice. We travel a lot and I rarely have to pay for a buffet for my little one. We were in town for the marathon and the location of the hotel was perfect to get around town easily/walking. My only complaint was with the valet. $23 to park overnight and it took over a half hour to retrieve our car. After our second time inquiring, we found out the lot was right around the corner, the staff seemed entirely overwhelmed.

Dayton, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

I stayed here with a few friends for the 2012 Ohayocon. It was convenient that they had a shuttle running from the hotel to the convention center and back, however, I don't think that this was planned by the hotel, and it was at the furthest possible corner of the hotel away from everyone else. I got the distinct impression that they were trying to hide all the anime nerds away from the rest of the hotel.
Our trip was in February and it was very very cold, so waiting outside of a locked outside far away back door was not convenient at all, when the shuttle could have pulled into the drive through right near the lobby and it would've been much nicer.
Having said that, the beds were nice but we were placed in a single instead of a double room (though I called before to guarantee it was a double) and we were given a cot because they could not move us out of the room.
For close to $250 bucks a night, I expected at least free breakfast, but their 3 egg omelets were $12 dollars! I've had much more for a fraction of the price.
The staff was considerate and helped us out a lot, I know a lot of the circumstances that we were put in could not have been solved at that point in time by the front desk staff.
Overall, I would say this hotel was not a good value for the amount of money I paid for it.

Room Tip: Stay away from elevators! the doors are thin and it carries easily into the room
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
SheratonDowntown, Manager at Sheraton Columbus at Capitol Square Hotel, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Dear Theresa D,
Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our Sheraton Sweet Sleeper Beds. I reviewed your comments regarding your stay with us at the Sheraton Columbus Capitol Square. We do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can get. I do apologize for the misunderstanding about the shuttle. You are correct that the shuttle transportation was not arranged by the hotel and unfortunately the pick-up and drop-off point during certain times can only be done on the side street due to traffic patterns.

As a management team, we take all comments seriously and share them with our staff, so we may resolve any and all issues. Again, thank you for the comments, which will help us in our ongoing efforts to improve our service. If you would like to discuss your experience with a member of the hotel staff, please send an email to GuestService@sheratoncolumbuscapitolsquare.com so we may address it with you directly.

Akron, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

OMG, what a pleasure! We stayed here when we could not get a reservation at the Weston. The newly renovated hotel was definitely up to starwood standards. The staff was over the top responsive to all of our needs. We stayed here for The Ohio State Homecoming and we knew that the hotel would be busy. We checked in Friday evening and went in for dinner. Apparently the restaurant was not very busy and closed before the advertised time. We found ourselves in an overcrowded bar. I asked for an explanation as to why the restaurant closed early. The manager came over and reopened the restaurant for us and personally took care of us. Thank You! The next night we came back to the room to find a note from houskeeping apologizing for the dusty vents in the HVAC. The housekeeper noticed that I had a breathing machine and was worried that the dusty vent would hamper my breathing. She cleaned the vent. It was spotless! The hotel was tasteful, clean, modern and welcoming. The staff was amazing. This is our new go to hotel when we visit our daughters at OSU! Thank you Sheraton and thank you Starwood!

Dear Ronniebc,

Thank you for the positive review of our hotel. I will share this feedback with our team in the entire hotel. It is always great to hear a story of our staff going the “extra mile” because that is what we strive for at Sheraton. We are very happy to know you enjoyed your time at the Sheraton Columbus at Capitol Square and we hope to see you again very soon for your next stay in Columbus when visiting your daughters at OSU!

Austin, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Ridiculously overpriced for the service you receive. The walls are paper thin and we could hear the headboard banging from the neighbors next door as well as their alarm clock (and several snooze alarms) the next morning. Additionally, the hotel charges you PER DEVICE for internet service. I thought they triple-charged us since we had two laptops and we also connected the iPhone to get faster internet. When we went to the front desk to question the exorbitant internet charge for one day, their reply was "Didn't you read the fine print?" Of course I didn't! I had never heard of such price gouging for that service at a hotel!
Service at the breakfast buffet was non-existent. The whole hotel was a rip-off for the price we paid. Steer clear of this place!!

Dear TXTraveler49,
Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. We do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can get. I do apologize for the misunderstanding about the internet in your guestroom and the noise issue.

Sincerely, Manager at the Sheraton Columbus Capitol Square

Been to Sheraton Columbus at Capitol Square Hotel? Share your experiences!