“Great Time” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Columbus at Capitol Square Hotel

You added Sheraton Columbus at Capitol Square Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Columbus at Capitol Square Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   75 East State St, Columbus, OH 43215 (Formerly Hyatt on Capitol Square)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #74 of 142 Hotels in Columbus
Windsor, Canada
“Great Time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

Recently stayed here and had excellent service. Rooms very clean with a large bathroom. No complaints.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Northville, Michigan, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

Stayed here on Memorial Day weekend. Some thoughts:

The Good:
- Price. Got a great $70 price through the Sheraton website, presumably due to hotel location on a holiday weekend - and they were under construction.
- Although under renovations, we noticed very little and did not feel at all uncomfortable
- Beds very comfortable
- Employees were professional and helpful. Bartender on second level and front desk manager especially polite.

The Not So Good:
- Perhaps due to the price, receptionist had to tell us they were a 4.5* hotel in a bit of a condescending way. I inquired about the $10/day PER DEVICE charge for internet access and was told that 'as a 4.5* hotel, these fees are normal' and tolerated by 4.5* hotels as if we never stayed in one.
- 4.5* hotels don't provide plastic cups in the rooms.
- 4.5* don't usually have ice machines (you get this from room service) but if they did they would have at least one functioning machine in the hotel. After we couldn't get ice on our own we called room service and after quite a long time, a harried employee arrived saying he couldn't find a working machine and had to go to the basement (communication obviously not a strong suit).
- 4.5* house keepers don't pound on the door at 8:30 am on a day you are not departing.
- 4.5* hotels may charge $18.00 for a movie but this isn't one.
- Valet parking at $23 is average for this area but not needed. There is ample parking close by on weekends. Also a recent stay here experienced long wait times. They have a sign preparing you to wait 20 minutes. They are not exaggerating.
- The rooms were very average. Nothing to make them stand out from other 3* locations. We were in a 'renovated' room and it was new but lacked style.

- The location is good or not so good depending on what you are here for. It is downtown. You have a bit of a walk to the Arena area. Need to drive to short north or German area (or a long walk). Right next to the Capitol (good place to park)

If you get a very good relative rate, I would not hesitate to book this hotel. Our view overlooking the commons on the 16th floor was nice. EVERYTHING seemed to be closed in this area on our weekend. You need a car. It ain't the Ritz but there is little to really complain about.

Room Tip: High level with view.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012 via mobile

Amazing,wonderful.Sheridan Columbus is so so nice you won't believe your eyes.The room's are amazing,room service fast and freindly from the minute you walk in the door.You come and stay the weekend,you will want to stay the week.You will fall in love.come check them out.

• Stayed February 2012
Jamestown, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

This is a pretty standard hotel. Sheratons are pretty decent, not lavish though. I loved the hotel restaurant, the menus is small but the food was amazing.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Akron
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

I use to stay at this hotel when it was still a Hyatt, I enjoyed the front desk staff at Hyatt (mainly Glenda,Charles and Kat). They were always welcoming and remembered me (or at least made me feel like they knew me). When I stayed at the Sheraton this week it was completely different.
The hotel looks 90% better then what it did but the staff was short, rude, and seemed to want me away from their desk. I checked in and reserved a King overlooking the capital. When I went to my room it was a room with 2 twin beds I called the front desk and they stated that I was unable to change rooms at this time. I accepted this and decided that as long as I am not being charged for the upgrade I'll be fine. In the middle of the night my AC was not working and I had to call the desk again and they said they would send maintenance to take a look at the issue. After 2 hours of waiting I decided they were not coming and called the desk again and no one answered. I gave up and tried to get to sleep.
The next morning I was going to check out early because of my experience and the front desk agent tried to charge me an early departure fee so I stayed but demanded to change rooms. This was honored and I had no issues the rest of my stay but the whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth and I will NEVER stay at a Sheraton again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Rockford, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

My wife and I arrived around 5pm and had no trouble with the valet or front desk. We were given a newly renovated corner room on the 14th floor and found it to be exactly what we wanted. The room was spacious, clean and new with a comfortable bed and pillows. The bathroom was average size but my wife didn't seem to mind so no complaints there. They do offer a shuttle service Mon- Fri but we didnt get a chance to use it.

Room Tip: Our corner room on the 14th floor was large and spacious.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
SheratonDowntown, Manager at Sheraton Columbus at Capitol Square Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2012
Dear CK202120, Thank you for the positive review of our hotel. We are very happy to know you appreciated the renovated rooms. We are really proud of the renovation. We are continuing to renovate other areas of the hotel besides the guestrooms including the Lobby and the Restaurant. We hope to see you again very soon for your next stay in Columbus! Sincerely, The Sheraton Columbus Capitol Square Hotel
Mogadore, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

Stayed here last weekend and after driving home I walked around the rear of my NEW pickup. One side of the rear bumper is caved in several inches with damage to the fender and bed. It appears that the truck was backed into the corner of a concrete wall or barrier. No way another vehicle bumped into it. I called the hotel and was advised that there are video cameras in the valet lot and someone would investugate and call back right away. After 48 hours I called again and they seem to have no record of my first call. I was transferred to the head of the valet who took my report and said I would hear back within 48 hours. I asked again about security video from the valet lot and was told there were cameras, but they may not cover the whole lot. Two days later I get form letter explaining that any claim for damage must be made befoer leaving the property to be even considered. They wouldn't even investigate or review the security video. Sheraton just refers me back to their valet service who refuses to investigate.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Sheraton Columbus at Capitol Square Hotel? Share your experiences!