“Decent but nothing special; small rooms” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Advance Purchase
Ranked #48 of 140 Hotels in Columbus
Pensacola, Florida
“Decent but nothing special; small rooms”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

I got a standard king, non-smoking room for $41 for a Sunday night stay (Priceline). At this price, it is certainly a bargain. However, each of the past two nights, I stayed at the Doubletree Guest Suites in downtown Columbus for $50/night (also priceline). That room was obviously a suite, but it was so much bigger than this one. This one is about 200 sq ft max and the one downtown was around 600 sq ft. This one has an internet price of $119 and that one was $149. If I had my choice, I would clearly stay downtown over this. The lobby is renovated but the rest of the hotel feels kind of old, esp the carpet. Priceline considers this a 3.5 out of 4 star hotel and I disagree - this is a 3 star hotel at most. They did give me free wi-fi without having to ask, so that was cool. If you sign up for a Hilton HHonors account, I believe you get free wi-fi at all hotels so that's how I would have gotten free anyway. Staff was courteous and when I needed an extension cord to hook up my computer, they brought it up. If I could rank this 3.5 out of 5, then I probably would... however, i'll have to round down and go to 3. oh yeah, another reviewer commented on it being "pretty dim" in the room and hallways - that was definitely the case for me, esp since I had a small window. Sort of depressing.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Chicago, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

We've never been fans of Doubletree hotels and this property did not change our minds. The lobby was very nice, but strangely empty and full of unused space. The hallways are definitely in need of attention - stained walls and carpeting held together with duct tape everywhere. Our room had been fairly recently updated and was tolerably clean - though the furniture was a bit banged up and there was no flat screen TV. There were NO towel racks in the bathroom - just one hook on the back of the door. Where is one supposed to hang wet towels?! And they were stingy with the towels. In our double room we had exactly 2 bath towels, 2 hand towels and 2 wash cloths. The second day we only had 1 of each - apparently we were supposed to share? The housekeeper said she was out of hand towels, but did deign to give us an extra bath towel as a substitute. The same was true for drinking glasses - there were only 2, and those were in the bedroom, not the bathroom. Soap and shampoo were never replenished - we had to go look for housekeeping to ask for more. Lighting throughout the room and bath was pretty dim, and the water pressure in the shower wasn't great. The shower curtain needed cleaning and/or replacing and the grout in the shower was dirty. The chocolate chip cookies they advertise - we were each given one when we checked in and that was all we saw. The food at the dinner we attended was pretty good and the staff throughout the facility was friendly and helpful. Overall, we'd stay somewhere else next time.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Perrysburg, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

We were not able to get our reserved Hilton Honors room at a nearby Embassy Suites and we're placed at this hotel. The check in was fantastic! The front desk attendant ensured that our adjoining rooms were not near the expressway or nearby train tracks. We received our warm cookies and made our way to our very updated and comfortable rooms. Very nice shampoos and Wolfgang Puck in room coffee. The next morning the front desk helped us locate a nice Starbucks nearby. Overall a VERY NICE hotel -- very nice and updated rooms. They could turn down the lights in the lobby a little which would add to the overall experience. I sort of felt like the front desk was trying to be "W-ish" but the lights in the lobby were so bright I felt like I was at a 7-11. (only minor issue). Wonder what the hotel design people were thinking?

Room Tip: Ask for room away from expressway and train tracks
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Frank C, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Columbus Worthington, responded to this review, September 7, 2011
I would like to thank you for such a kind review. We pride ourselves in making your stay enjoyable, and feedback like yours motivates the team to make it right.

Frank Cook
New Orleans, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

This was my second stay at this hotel. I prefer this chain to the homewood suites, which seem to be half a star lower in hotel class. The locals tell me that this is a refurbished Holiday Inn. The remodel was done so well, however, that I would not have guessed that. My accomodations were spacious and comfortable. The fitness center was above average for this type of hotel. There are a lot of hotels in this area, and many restaurants within walking distance (though nobody walks in Ohio it seems). I will stay at this hotel again, rather than risk an inferior hotel nearby.

The only drawbacks are the lack of headphones for the fitness equipment and the restaurant charges for breakfast (although it is pretty cheap -$7 I think). Also, my travelling companion was a smoker. He said his room looked like it hadn't been renovated in a long time. I can't blame to hotel for not wanting to ruin new furniture. Probably one of the last hotels to have smoking rooms. They were on a different floor from me and I never smelled smoke while I was inside.

Room Tip: 5th floor for non smokers
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

We stayed here for two nights and the location was terrific. Lots of restaurants within walking distance and a movie theatre. The hotel was clean and spacious. The rooms were comfy and the bed was awesome!! The only thing I would recomend for the area is a conveinance store for drinks and snacks.

Room Tip: The hotel seems to get a lot of conventions and weddings so you might not get a parking space close...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

I live about 15 minutes from this hotel & stayed here based on reviews from out-of-town friends who have stayed here in the past. My mom & I reserved a room with 2 beds when our power at home went out during a massive heat wave. We checked in about 10pm & were greeted with warm cookies (yumm!!) The price with out AAA discount was the 2nd lowest I could find in the area. The beds were clean & comfy. My 2 biggest complaints were the air conditioning in the room never shut off despite turning it to the warmest setting on the fan. I was quite cold throughout the hotel (including the lobby & hallways. When I got to the room I noticed a breakfast menu for room service ($15 for granola, fruit & yogurt!!!!!!!) I assumed (wrongly) they would have a small complimentary breakfast...the man at the front desk looked at me like I was a idiot when I asked if breakfast was provided, he pointed me toward a coffee station (while rolling his eyes.) I had heard complaints about the Wi-Fi & asked about it at check-in, the woman at the desk gave me a 4 digit code that worked beautifully. Overall I was pleased. The bathroom was lovely & the towels (for a hotel) were huge (I also loved the crabtree & evelyn bath products). I agree with previous reviews about the carpet in the hallways.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Columbus, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

My husband was at this hotel last week for a business trip. The hotel is very dated - late 70's/early 80's decor and the temperature was frigid in the conference rooms at all times. The staff is average but nice overall. However, BEWARE of this hotel!!!! My husband had his vehicle broken into during the day while he was at his seminar. Luckily, he only had his clothing and toiletries taken. However, the woman parked right next to him had her vehicle broken into as well, but she actually had items of value. When he reported it to the front desk staff, they claimed they had no video surveillance and couldn't do anything to help but did take a report. A few days later, my husband received a phone call from their insurance adminstrator. Doubletree denied the claim on the basis that no other claims had been reported in that parking lot. The administrator also suggested that the reason my husband's items were taken was due to failing to lock his vehicle. We searched the Columbus police reports and found that several other incidents had taken place in the general area around the same timeframe.

If you do stay here, please make sure to leave NOTHING in your vehicle. Otherwise you might find yourself in the same situation.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Been to Doubletree Hotel Columbus Worthington? Share your experiences!