“Great location, excellent service!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #49 of 142 Hotels in Columbus
Ohio
“Great location, excellent service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

A friend and I stayed at the Crowne Plaza for Columbus Day for q short overnight trip. The hotel was convenient to everything - across from the Convention Center and about 1.5 blocks from the Nationwide Arena. They also offered a shuttle service within 3 miles of the hotel and we used it several times during our stay. We had a great corner room on the 11th floor, looking east we saw a fabulous red sunrise on Monday, the Convention Center was to the north of us. The room was fabulous, 2 queen beds, very crisp and clean. The hotel and valet staff were excellent! They were extremely helpful, very friendly, and we really felt we were well taken care of. We would recommend this hotel to anyone going to Columbus. Next visit there, we will definitely stay at the Crowne Plaza Downtown.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
crownekate, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, November 8, 2010
Dear blondieinohio:

I was thrilled to read your review! Thank you for sharing with me your thoughts about the Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown. The staff really appreciated your feedback as we are continuously striving to improve our facilities and service. Please let me know if I can be of personal service in the future. I truly hope to have you again as our guest soon! And of course, thank you for your business. All My Best, Kathyrn Burton, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
la jolla
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2010

First off the service staff was nice and helpful! They have been trained well. The lounge area from a birds eye view looked clean until you went to sit down and crumbs and sticky stuff everywhere. The walk to the elevator was full of crumbs and dirt. The elevator smelled bad and the stainless doors were streaky dirty. The carpet needed a good vaccum and it smelled terrible. our walk to our room was the same. In desperate need of a vaccum. The room was clean enough except for the side of the toilet which was not cleaned. A bit gross! The room looked nice. The beds were the cheap kind that bounce around when people move on it. The walls thin. We could hear everything going on outside the room in the hall and next door. Why I guess they provide ear plugs. Their adjoining restaurant (aomething and Ermas) had a buffet breakfast that was not great. (I recommend walking to Sunny's up the street.) The restaurant is tired and not all that clean. We had to go through a few plates to find a clean one for our breakfast. The carpet is worn and holding too many ordors. We returned to our room at 2 pm and it still was not cleaned. The elevator and hallways still dirty. Finally by 4 pm our room was ready for us and things were cleaned up outside. Just not well. One could tell where the vaccum stopped. The dirt that was left near the wall was there for all four days of our stay. In the morning I was downstairs when the lady was vaccuming the carpet to the main lobby. It was in need of a bag change. The smell and dust was awful. I was also stuck on my floor a few times. Elevator number 2 would come to the floor and the doors would never open. Since it would not leave every time we pressed the call button that would be the elevator to come. When we reported it to the desk person they told us that that has been happening a lot over the past week. I was shocked that they would let it go for that long. There was chewed gum on the carpet by the elevator as well. I told the housekeeping staff but later it was still there. The entry by the Valet was also dirty. I guess dirty was just the common theme here followed by a noisy place to stay with uncomfortable beds. Good location though! Nice staff!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Irivkin:

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding your recent stay at tripadvisor.com. I was very glad to hear that you found our service staff nice and helpful. We do provide an extensive training program to all of our associates, and I'm glad the investment paid off!

I would like to apologize for your disappointment in our housekeeping department. I have shared your thoughts with the team and they are working hard to improve on all areas addressed in your review. Our hotel is a Quality Excellence award winning hotel, and we take great pride in our service and facilities. Please know that your experience is not the norm at our hotel, and that we greatly appreciate your feedback as it only helps us improve. If I can be of personal service to you, please let me know. All My Best, Kathyrn Burton, General Manager
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2010

We stayed at this hotel from July 26-29. My husband was attending a conference and the kids (16, 13) and I tagged along to sightsee. The hotel entrance was nice, nothing extravagant. Check in process was fairly quick, but we were not able to acquire adjoining rooms - the two rooms were across the hall and down two from each other. Not a big deal. The linens were fine and typical - the duvet was great. The walls were VERY thin and we heard every conversation in the hallway plus all the slamming doors. The exercise area is a bit of a joke...not much to it at all. The pool area is also not for families, mostly for lap swimming. No restaurant at this location. It is attached to a sister hotel, The Lofts. There is a Max and Erma's in that hotel - whatever you do , DO NOT get the breakfast package at the Crowne Plaza. It includes the "buffet" at the Max and Erma's restaurant - big mistake. Cold food, bad coffee, bad service. The little breakfast bar at the hotel also had good coffee and polite, courteous help but terribly dried out muffins. Housekeeping did a fantastic job and it was greatly appreciated. All in all, it was an okay stay - not 4-5 star, but not the worst either.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for our anniversary. The hotel was very clean and nicely decorated. The lobby had a coffee shop and full bar. Our room was really attractive.It was large enough for us. We stayed in a room with a king size bed. In the bathroom were granite counter tops. The bed was super comfortable, but the pillows were small and lumpy. Try to stay on the twelfth floor because it is the club floor and is only accessible by using a key card. There is a concierge lounge with complimentary snacks and breakfast for those on that floor. We didn't have to pay any more for this floor than the others. You will have to pay for valet parking. It was $21.00 a day, but we got a coupon for $15.00 a day.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2010

Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown has many things going for it. Located near the arena and the insurance offices were not the reason we stayed there, but for a wedding /reception not too far away. We walked comfortably to Barleys Restaurant and the North Market in the Short North area with good sidewalks and traffic lights.
We stayed on the 10th floor in a large room with a pull out sofa which easily slept one adult while the king bed was very plush and roomy for two. The room faced the blvd, but remained quiet with comfortable room temperature individually controlled.
The outside areas were lovely too. Behind the hotel was a sitting area with a fountain and nicely landscaped grounds although among buildings. Also, near the cafe you could go outside to sit.
I would have rated this hotel 5* had there been some kind of breakfast included although you can go right next door to Max & Erma's for the buffet. Also, the stiff payment of $21 per day for valet parking adds up along with paying for internet use if you are staying there for leisure rather than business.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2010

Just walked in to check rates to spend the night and the front desk clerk, Steve, was very professional and offered to show us the rooms. The room was newly renovated, so everything looked good. We got a nice room up on the 11th floor and it was a corner room, so we have a nice view and also the privacy without worrying about our kids making too much noises. The sleep kit is a nice touch to the room, but they only provided one kit per room, so we had to ask the housekeeper for one more kit to satisfy our kids. The negative things about this hotel are: no free internet service in the room, no pay-per-view movies or games in room, no vending machine on floor, very dark lighting in the hallway, slow elevators and finally the pool in the basement is quite dirty(found bugs landing on my leg)
The smell is moldy and mushy in the basement. The game room is a joke! Tried their cafe in the morning but the bagel was hard as a rock; the cashier was not friendly and didn't even give me the receipt. The valet took a little longer than usual to get our car. We picked this hotel because it is close to COSI, but we would not recommend it for families though since it is across from the Convention Center, so we saw a lot of business travelers stay at this hotel. The parking charge was expensive: $15 for priority member and $24 for non-member. The garage right next door only charge $14 a day. So, don't let the front desk clerk talked you into using their valet if you are budget conscious like me.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Mackinaw City, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2010

My trip started with none of our keys working to get into our room (third floor) after an 8hr drive. When I went down to the desk to get new keys they proceeded to tell me that the keys work they were programmed! Well I'm not an idiot and know how to use hotel keys they didn't work! So we finally get into the room to find we have no cold water in the sink in the bathroom as my hands are full with soap and I'm trying to rinse them off with out melting my skin off. I figured oh well no biggy I'll tell them at check out. So I proceed to turn the blankets back to go to bed and find our sheets stained up, and not just a little stained but a lot. Which made all of us sick to think about what else we were not seeing in the room. The next morning we awoke to banging, banging, and more banging..We go to make coffee and the coffee pot has a big chip in it. Once again oh well so we continue with the coffee and its the wrong pot for the maker and it overflows all over. At this point I tried calling the front desk and the phone doesn't work big suprise...I went all the way back down stairs to inform management of these issues. He did get us a free coffee and gave us 50% off our room although we felt like a full refund would be more appropriate. What really bothered us the most is at check out when he was refunding he stops and said " what is it you do? What company do you work for?" Now should that have mattered? Does a janitor deserve different services than a lawyer? All in all I would never stay at nor recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
crownekate, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, May 28, 2010
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel. Please accept my utmost apologies for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay. Please know that this is not the typical standard of service or the typical experience our guests have at our hotel. We are currently ranked commendable in our brand and are on our way to becoming ranked outstanding from surveys completed by our valued guests. I would love the opportunity to speak with you directly about your experience and personally invite you back to the hotel so that my team of hospitality professionals can prove to you our commitment to clean, comfortable rooms coupled with amazing customer service.

All My Best,

Kathyrn Burton

Been to Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown? Share your experiences!