“Busy Hotel - but enjoyed our stay” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #49 of 142 Hotels in Columbus
Troy OH
“Busy Hotel - but enjoyed our stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2009

My husband's dream came true - he finally got Ohio State tickets and with his birthday the same week, I decided to make a real EVENT out of it.

The Crown Plaza offers a BUCKEYE package --not a bad deal (Requires a 2 night stay, but includes "free" valet parking free, daily breakfast at Max and Erma's right next door (Breakfast buffet was all that was ever offered to us, but it was good and fast) 2 movie tickets, and a $25.00 dinner certificate with several decent nearby selections to choose from). My only real complaint is to make it extra special I upgraded to the Concierge level -- that was a mistake .. there is NO access to the Concierge lounge Friday - Sunday night and I paid an extra $20 a night for very little. Wish I would have known, but the description in the package offer promoted the Concierge lounge and we were mislead on that. (The front desk did tell me when I inquired that I got higher ceilings and a quiter floor --tell that to the drunken group who screamed in the hallway most of Friday night and the band that THUMPED THUMPED THUMPBED until 2:00 a.m. But Saturday night WAS quiet).

There is a "FREE:" shuttle that goes in a 3 mile radius of the hotel, but it is NOT offered for the games.. so heads up. There was a hotel shuttle service that charged $5.00 a head and that worked out GREAT to get there, but when we were ready to come back after the game -- it was no where to be found. HOWEVER, a taxi back was $15.00 so grab another couple waiting for their ride and just take a taxi -faster and the same price.

For Dinner we went to Ted's Montana Grill and I would not recommend it. Boston's Pizza was next door and was very busy, so that might be the place to try and the $25.00 dinner certificate worked there as well.

DO NOT MISS the NORTH MARKET. Within walking distance of the hotel and Friday night we went and picked up our dinner and had a picnic in our room. OH MY GOSH.. Fabulous food -- better than anything we've had in a long time. Holy Smokes BBQ brisket, Mozart's bakery (napoleon, petit fours and cappachino AWESOME), Curds & Whey for a cheese sampler (yum!) and the wine store (Grapes of Mirth) quick chilled an EXCELLENT wine for me based on my preferences. Would love to go back simply to shop more at the market. http://www.northmarket.com/

Would we stay there again? -- hard to say. There are alot of great hotels on 'the 270 loop', but it was certainly fun to do downtown Columbus once. We walked to the State House and the Arena district does offer some fun things to do -- North Market was a real treat.

The Crown Plaza was nice and the valet / front desk were very helpful. Easy taxi/shuttle access to OSU stadium all together everything worked well together for a very nice weekend.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Cincinnati
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2009

Perfect location for Ohio State football game away from the OSU madness. Max and Ermas was great, and arena district was so much fun for our kids. Room was very clean, fridge was great to have. Lobby beautiful, hotel seems to connect with THE LOFTS, seems just as nice at a MUCH MUCH more reasonable price. One issue was not getting a wake up call when we requested one. It was a big inconvenience, because I ended up having to meet friends for breakfast with literally 2 minutes to spare. i mentioned this to the check out desk, not for any special treatment, but just to let them know there was a mix-up. Cindy, the director of guest services was wonderful! She offered compensation which more than made up for the getting late to breakfast. She was very apologetic and welcoming. I truly believed she felt badly for my situation and wasn't just doing her job. Am looking forward to returning when I can fit in another buckeye game. Parking was expensive, but probably normal for area.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
crownekate, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, October 17, 2009
Thank you for sharing with the world that you are a RAVING FAN OF THE CROWNE PLAZA COLUMBUS DOWNTOWN! (As you can tell, I am too!)

I agree, we are just as convenient to the Ohio State University as the university hotels, an easy straight shot down High Street, plus you have all of the excitement of our downtown location, located in the Arena District and steps from the Short North Arts District.

There are still 3 Buckeye Home Games left and I look forward to having you as our guest again this Buckeye Season! GO BUCKS!

Please call me personally if I can assist with your next reservation...All My Best, Kathyrn
Windsor
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2009

We booked on hotels.ca, we tried to check in at 1ish and prechecked in and had to come back around 3 which was fine, we drove around Columbus, which is very nice! The rooms were great, maybe considered a little small for 4 people, but there was only 2 of us so it was perfect. The valet parking was $21, and Internet was not included it was an additional $9.95. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. I truly appreciate all feedback that assists my team in our efforts toward continuous service improvement.

Quick hint, I noticed your comment about the fee for parking and internet. If you are a Gold or Platinum Priority Club Member, then internet is complimentary at our hotel. If you are a Base member, then you are able to pick a perk which offers you either discounted internet or parking. Just something to keep in mind next time you visit...it's our way of saying "thank you" for your loyalty to IHG hotels. If you are not a member, it is free to sign up, so join the IHG family and enjoy the benefits of staying at our hotels!

If I can ever be of personal service, please let me know. All My Best, Kathyrn
Windsor, Ont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2009

Booked this hotel through Hotwire and paid $75 which was a great deal in my opinion.
We were specifically in town to see Cirque Du Soleil at Nationwide Arena. It is only 2 blocks walking distance away which was great since parking there is $15.
The rooms were great- large, comfortable bed, bathroom was fine- had new shower head. The room smelled great when we walked in.
The service at the front counter was friendly even though we looked horrible due to 4 days of hiking and camping. We got back at 10pm and were hungry so they got us a bunch of flyers for different restaurants/pizza places that deliver.
There is a bar in the lobby which we did not have the pleasure of going to but it looked very classy.
The only 2 things I was less enthused about were that: 1- to make a local call it cost $1. also, parking option was either to Valet park for $23 a day or public park for up to $12 per day but they start counting again at Midnight so if you're there until the morning you're probably going to pay $24 so it's not that great of a deal.
Overall- it was a GREAT experience for the price we paid and we were very comfortable in the room.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2009

Very nice large room. Bed was comfortable and bathroom was nice size as well. Good shower with adequate water pressure and lots of hot water. Bathroom needs a fan to keep mirror from fogging up. We had room service for breakfast one morning and it was excellent and hot. Housekeeping was accomodating as we always left room late in the day. Location is good for the arena district and walking to different areas of interest. VEry clean and comfortable hotel that I would stay in again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Racine, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

I have to say that the $8 million renovation was great. The beds are extremely comfortable and the decor is really nice. Service was good. Max & Erma's Restaurant was very good for breakfast. We had the buffet. No problems with noise. Nice shower and bathroom. Good water pressure. We had adjoining rooms with two double beds in each plus a baby crib. Not much room to move around. 1 office type chair per room.
Nice TVs. Small refrigerator, no microwave. Very close walk to Nationwide Arena (less than 2 blocks).
My only complaint s:
1. The very small pool in the basement. 5 foot deep all over, brick walls, and horrible echo. You can't hear the person next to you if water is splashing or others are talking. There were only two small bench seats. You will get wet if you sit in the pool area. There is only about 3-4 feet of space between the edge of the pool and the walls. Right outside the pool area is a small arcade (about 4 games). The area smells so bad, it almost takes your breath. Very moldy smell (probably carpet). I believe its because the towels are located outside the pool room, and kids are dripping wet while walking out there to get towels. I didn't swim, but the kids said the water was very cold. No hot tub.
2. I asked the valet for my vehicle. When he brought it up, he asked if I needed help loading my luggage. I said yes, but then the valet stood by and held the cart (to keep it from rolling) while I loaded all my luggage into my vehicle upon discharge. He was rude, fat, and lazy.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2009

We stayed here for 1 night after watching the footy. We didn't normally stay here when in Columbus but got a great price on Priceline, and I'm glad that we did. Easily accessible from the highway, the hotel is modern from top to bottom, the staff were generally very friendly, and the Max&Erma's restaurant is open late which is good because the food selection after hours near the nationwide area (5-7 min walk) is not very inspiring. The room itself was big enough and as a bonus, the flat screen TV actually featured HD cable! A nice bonus when it's raining in Columbus. We had no problem with this hotel and will hope to get it again on Priceline for our next visit to Columbus.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown? Share your experiences!