“Clean, modern, great location but a little pricey” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #46 of 142 Hotels in Columbus
Camby, Indiana
“Clean, modern, great location but a little pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

I think this is a great place. It is clean, modern and located near restaurants, convention center and major highways. I try to stay here whenever I am in town. I think the price is a bit higher than it should be fora Midwestern town. Valet service was not very attentive. Front desk was awesome. The minute there was a line, staff came out so there was a no wait check in. The internet was fast. Rooms have a refrigerator, the toiletries and other items in the room are very nice.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dirk B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Dear Andrea R,

Thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza for your recent trip to Columbus. I am happy to hear that check in was fast and that you enjoyed your room. We hope that you continue to stay with us whenever you come to Columbus!

Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Dayton, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

The Crowne Plaza is in a great location, but the atmosphere is definitely for the business traveler.
I picked this particular hotel because it was close to Nationwide Arena and had a pool and game room for the kids.
The rooms were smaller than what we're used to and we usually stay at Holiday Inn Express or Fairfield Inn brand properties. I was expecting something fancier since it's a Crowne Plaza.
There was a single cup coffee maker in the room with enough coffee for only one cup. We paid $2 for a regular cup of coffee in the lobby. Nothing is free here. We are used to free breakfast, coffee, and evening snacks at the hotels we normally stay... for a cheaper rate too.
The pool area was drab, dirty, and smelled musty. My kids didn't even want to get in. The game room in the basement (next to the pool and also stinky) included 3 arcade games which didn't work. We lost money on each game we tried to play. We did get our money back, but it was another disappointment for the kids.
Also, my daughter was getting out of the shower and housekeeping walked in unannounced. This was about an hour after we checked in. Thank goodness she had a towel wrapped around her. Their "list" showed the room as vacant and the housekeeping manager did call to apologize. I thought it was standard policy for hotel staff to knock first and say "housekeeping" before entering a room regardless if they think it 's empty.
We also smelled the musty smell when getting on/off the elevator. I saw that someone else mentioned that as well. I think it gets carried up from the basement.
Overall, I didn't find the hotel staff very friendly either. The whole atmosphere was just "stuffy".
Next time we go to a Blue Jackets game, we will stay somewhere that is more family friendly even if we have to walk a little further to the arena.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Stellar5,

Thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza for your recent trip to Columbus. Thank you for all of the information in this review, these issues will be addressed with appropriate departments. We greatly appreciate the feedback.

Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

I stayed here with my daughter and her friend in January 2014 for an anime convention. It is conveniently located in downtown Columbus, next to the Greater Columbus Convention Center, in the Arena District. The lobby is large with seating, a coffee shop and a fireplace and nice big windows looking out on the area. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The room and bath were both beautiful and it felt very roomy. There was a closet with doors, a desk area and a flat screen TV. I believe there was an in room coffee maker but none of us drink coffee and there was a fridge. The room was clean and I enjoyed the decor.

However, I had a hard time sleeping here. The bed was uncomfortable to me. I felt like my feet were higher than my head and ended up laying my head at the foot of the bed. Our window faced a parking garage, which was not an issue for me, I wasn't there to look out the window. The problem was that it was very bright and I could not block the light from the window. The long curtains are stationary because of the heating unit. There were pull binds behind the sheers but they were short so light streamed in under them. The door also had light streaming in from the floor. I ended up laying the bathmat in front of the door to block that light.

The checkout process was simple and quick and the staff was very courteous and professional. There was a big snow storm that morning and I ended up waiting in the lobby for several hours (no fault of the hotel) next to the wonderful, warm fireplace watching the snow fall and working on my computer.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dirk B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Dear Abigaled,

Thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza for the anime convention in town. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel! Thank you for the information about the bed and window, any feedback we get is always appreciated. Im glad the staff was courteous and you enjoyed the fireplace. We hope to see you again soon!

Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtwon
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

I frequent this Hotel for business trips. The location is ideal for downtown. The facility is what you expect from a Crowne Plaza. The real standout, however, is the staff. From front desk to wait staff to housekeeping to management, everyone is friendly and helpful. This makes a huge difference to the road warrior and a reason I alwAys return to this location. I was reminded of this when I recently left an important item in my room. I left a message on a weekend evening describing the item. The following Monday the Housekeeping Manger returned my call with the item turned in by housekeeping. Arrangements were made to ship it to me and I had it by Wednesday. Over the years I have left a number of items at hotels and almost always it is never turned in or my call is not even returned. This positive experience is typical of my experience at this location.

Room Tip: Ask about cable TV if that is important to you. In the past there were issues with certain rooms get...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dirk B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear J L,

Thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza for your recent trip to Columbus, Ohio. I am so happy to hear that we have a standout staff! We strive to give every single guest a positive experience. Thank you for your feedback.

Crowne Plaza – Columbus Downtown
Wausau, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

The Hotel has some of the best service in Columbus. The staff at the front desk is perfect, the rooms are cleaned perfectly and the coffee and bar staff are very curtious. One problem is the elevator has a horrible smell and that smell come out of the elevator shaft all the time. I have noticed it the few time I have stayed at the Crown Plaza. They need to work on that smell. I also noticed that many of the bathroom doord are cracked and peeling at the base. Probably time for an upgrade.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the elevators
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dirk B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Dear RibMountain60370,

Thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza in downtown Columbus! Wow, the best service in Columbus? This is music to our ears. Thank you again for your kind words. We hope to see you again soon!

Crowne Plaza – Columbus Downtown
Fort Thomas, Kentucky
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

The location of this hotel is great; right in the middle of the arena district in in Columbus. Upon arrival we were greeted with a line of traffic around the corner. We sat in our car for about 30 minutes waiting to check in. I called to ask what we should do and was told just to wait in line...really? at the Crown Plaza? This put us in a time crunch, so I finally jumped out the car and trudged my way through the snow to check in and head up to the room. My husband joined me about 20 minutes later. The room was clean and acceptable but not nearly as nice as the photographs make it out to be. The beds, bedding, and pillows were horrible. We both slept terribly. I guess we would both agree that we were not impressed and won't likely choose this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dirk B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Dear Ashli S,

Thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza for your recent trip to Columbus, Ohio. I apologize for issues in valet; your review has been brought to the attention of the appropriate departments. We hope to see you again!

Crowne Plaza- Columbus Downtown
Wheeling, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

we stayed at the crown plaza hotel in columbus as part of an overnight package while seeing the bruce munro light installation at the franklin park conservatory. our stay was fine, but not exceptional. the room was clean, and nicely appointed. i was not able to access wifi in the room or lobby. this was not solved until the next day. no one at the front desk was able to help, until the second day, when it was explained to me that their motorola wifi system is not compatible with iphone. they were apparently correcting this. coffee area in lobby, but it was unattended at 3pm, when we were looking for a snack and the bar area was also not yet open. we were able to go across to the lofts hotel, and had a snack at max and erma's. one complaint would be that several of our towels were absolutely threadbare, and frayed. the bath mat had a permanent black stain on it. these linens were not dirty...just old, tired and someone needs to pay better attention to what is being put out for the guests. breakfast was next door at max and erma's. coffee in the room was average. still and all, i would probably stay there again, if the price was as good as we were able to get last week.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dirk B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Dear Julia P,

Thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza for your recent trip to Columbus. I appreciate all of the information in your review. We hope to see you again soon.

Crowne Plaza- Columbus Downtown

Been to Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown? Share your experiences!