“Great location, truly nasty room” 1 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #49 of 142 Hotels in Columbus
“Great location, truly nasty room”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for one night us August.

I have photos to prove the following that I can happily provide and will upload in due course.

On arriving at the hotel I went up to my room to find dirt in the sink, a bathroom with wallpaper falling off the walls, a horrible bubbling ceiling and visible dust in the corners of the room.

In addition, on going to make a coffee with the coffee machine, the machine was baked in dust and dirt (needless to say I went to buy myself a coffee at this point).

The floor on the bed side appeared to have not been cleaned for weeks and the dirt on the outlet when I went to plug in my phone was simply sickening. Truly nasty!

Breakfast included means you go across to a restaurant who wanted to charge me for a speciality coffee. The price for breakfast in the restaurant is also typically less than the price the hotel charge you.

Less important to me but also relevant was the fact that on hotels.com it said the room had a 'downtown view'. Unfortunately for those who would have liked a downtown view, you'll actually get a view of the parking lot next door!

I have since phoned the hotel to provide them with my feedback and all I got was a 'thank you very much for letting us know'!

I was generally disappointed with my stay at a hotel that cost in excess of $200 a night!

I gave you a chance to respond in person and wouldn't have written this review if a sufficient response was provided over the phone.

I stay in hotels regularly (and rarely have issues) so this was a truly upsetting resolution!

• Stayed August 2012
Dirk B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience concerning your recent stay with us. I'm glad that you found our location convenient to your needs. I apologize that our room did not meet your expectations. Please be assured that we appreciate your feedback and this matter is being looked into. We hope to have another chance at hosting you should your travels bring you back to Columbus, OH.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Everything about my stay was incredible. The entire hotel is gorgeous. Inside & out. The employees went above and beyond. From valet to front desk, we were always treated so kindly. The front desk attendant (I wish I remembered his name) was as pleasant as could be. He took the time to show us some maps, and give us directions and his personal input on some places we might like to visit on our stay. Housekeeping does incredible with the cleanliness of the room. We stayed on the 12th floor and an employee in the lounge was kind enough to print us out some directions and more names of places she suggested we visit. Check out was quick and friendly as well. I saw alot of complaints from other reviewers on noise. I didnt hear anything out of the ordinary outside going on outside or in that kept me awake. In fact, the bed & pillows were so comfortable I got an amazing nights sleep. Also, alot of reviewers said the pool was too small. I think the pool was sufficient. We didnt stay at this hotel to swim all day. We stayed for location. We swam each night and enjoyed it. Valet was also reasonably priced for our short stay. Overall..I would recommend this hotel to everyone and will def return on my next trip to columbus! Thank you Crowne Plaza!!!!!

Room Tip: We loved the private 12th floor that requires key access on the elevator.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Skaneateles, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Pros: Decor is modern, rooms are clean, rooms are quiet, beds are comfortable, bathroom is large, location is great, staff is friendly.

Cons: Shows signs of wear in rooms, price of valet parking is really expensive, not a great choice if you are not part of a large convention group. These groups take over the place and are quite noisy in the lobby but not surprising since this is a convention hotel.

I would stay here again if the price was right.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Central, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Stayed at the Crowne Plaza for a convention. The location is directly across from the convention center and has a walkway connecting the buildings if it's raining. Also Max & Erma's restaurant connected to the Crowne Plaza. The beds were comfy and the room clean. Asked for a wake up call and received on time. Within walking distance to Short North for dinner, shopping and ice cream.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Cincinnati, Oh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

We stayed in Columbus for a quick weekend away and used Hotwire to get the Crowne Plaza for a great price. Everyone was very nice and the location was perfect for an easy walk over to Short North for dinner, drinks, shopping, and ice cream. We accidentally left some clothes in the room and after calling them, they shipped it back to me immediately for only a few dollars. It was super quick and they were very nice about it when I called. Only negative was that parking was a bit expensive ($24ish?)- but it's less if you sign up for their membership program ($17/night)!

Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Toledo, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012 via mobile

My wife, son and I stayed for our anniversary from 6/13 until 6/15. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. Originally we had a double queen but we waited and were upgraded to a king junior suite. Awesome! Valet service was great. All were so nice. Rooms were clean and the bed was comfy!

The height of the shower can pose a problem for anyone really 6 ft and taller. Our biggest and really only gripe for our stay was the champagne or sparkling wine and a box of 4 chocolates package. They charge $75 for a roughly $7.50 bottle of sparkling wine and a $6-8 box of godiva chocolates. Room service mark up way too much!

Other than that it was a great stay.

• Stayed June 2012
Littleton, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

Room was comfortable and clean. Service was good, staff friendly, and free Wi-Fi. Hotel was within walking distance of downtown. Wake up call received as requested. Would stay there again.

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dirk B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
Thank you for letting us know that you enjoyed your time here at the Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown. We look forward to being your host when your travels bring you back to Colubus.

Dirk Bengel

Been to Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown? Share your experiences!