“Run Down and Dirty - Good for one night MAX” 2 of 5 stars

Days Inn Columbus Fairgrounds
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1700 Clara Street, I-71 & Exit 111, Columbus, OH 43211   |
Ranked #90 of 142 Hotels in Columbus
michigan
“Run Down and Dirty - Good for one night MAX”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2007

We stayed at this Day's Inn for one night while we were in Columbus for a concert downtown.

It's a good location for anything downtown and was pretty cheap. It was about a five min drive to our venue.

I am glad that we were only in the room for about six hours. If you plan on spending any time at all in your room - do NOT stay here.

It was very dirty - looked like the carpet hadn't been vacumed, the mirror above the sink was filthy, obviously had not been washed. I didn't want to take my shoes off and did not shower before we left. the sheets and bed were okay, but not the most confortable bed.

this was not the worst hotel i've been too, but i will not be staying there again.

• Stayed February 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
N.E. Ohio, usa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2006

wow, where to start?

the staff is generally unprofessional, although the manager at check-out was pleasant. the location is somewhat isolated, so while it's in a complex with a Mcdonalds and another motel, whether driving around, locked in your room, walking from the car or ice/pop machines, NOWHERE feels safe.

the room was pretty gross, with stained and ripped sheets, a nasty bedspread, sticky carpet, broken furniture, noisy ac/heat unit, chipped paint, etc. ask for a room facing McDonalds if the place isn't full, as the other wings are even more dark and creepy.

we did stay here 2 years ago, and had hoped things would improve, but it was not so.

the reasons to stay here are obvious though: the rooms can be had dirt cheap when there's vacancies if you can bargain and it's about an 8 minute drive to the OSU campus. our room had no sign of bugs, and believe me we checked! in fairness the bathroom was clean enough, and i liked the water-pressure in the shower. the HBO worked well on the decent TV.

...and i would stay here again, but i always bring my shower shoes and rather low expectations.

• Liked — location, checking out sunday morning.
  • Disliked — cleanliness, safety.
  • Tips/Secrets — get a low internet $, and ask them to match. squeeze 4 people into a room, drink, go see the Buckeyes!
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Akron, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2006

They listed an indoor pool. There was and outside pool. I wanted indoor corridors. There was an outside entrance. I wasn't even allowed to come in the lobby to register. I had to go to an outside window. The room was dirty. The shower curtain had mold on it. YUCK! I will never consider this hotel again.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — dirty and false advertisement
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2006

I am in this area every February. I will NEVER stay here again. The people at the desk were rude and did not care that I was being double billed for this nasty room. My reservation was lost but when my credit card bill came I was billed for the same room twice!

• Stayed February 2005, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2005

reserved a room and canceled
a month later got a $100 bill
they claimed they had no record of cancelation
and I didnt have/save my cancelation #, although
would have been irrelativent anyway, as they didnt have
it on file in the first place.
They are cheats and lie and thier mistakes as a big corporation
cost me $100, the little guy
will never book or stay at a Days Inn again.
the corporate office was no help and took the local
hotels side.

Big fat "F" for customer service!

• Stayed August 2005, traveled on business
Berkeley, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2005

This was without a doubt the worst motel I've ever been to - and it has made me lose faith in the Days Inn chain. Sadly, the only part of this apparently independently owned hotel that is like a typical Days Inn, is that they use the plastic cups with the logo on it. My wife and I booked this hotel online through the Days Inn website for a one-night stopover on a trip, and it was just awful. The service at the front desk was rude, and the room was incredibly dirty. The sheets were stained, the tub was filthy, the refridgerator was unplugged and leaking melted water all over the floor. Further, the sliding chain lock on the inside of the door was just barely attached to the frame, and I'm sure it could have been easily pulled out of the wall should someone have tried to force their way in.

The layout of the motel is that there is 5 or 7 separate one story buildings, and they put us in a room that was two buildings back on the edge. Now this wouldn't be terrible at other hotels, but here, there was no external lighting by our room, the edge of our building was about 20 or 30 yards from the Interstate, separated only by some dark shrubbery, and there was a family of feral cats running around that hissed at us as we tried to get into our room. Worse yet, for some reason they stuck us down at the end of the building when there were no other cars parked anywhere near us. I can honestly say that I have never felt more unsafe in any particular situation than I did at that time.

After inspecting the room, and realizing that it just wasn't safe to stay there, we went back to the front desk to leave. It had been less than 10 minutes since we checked in, and the clerks refused to give us our money back - however, we turned in the keys and left anyway.

Please avoid this hotel at all costs. For about $20 more you can stay at the Days Inn Suites Columbus West, which is maybe about 10 minutes away down the interstate. This is where we ended up that night, and the room and service exceeded what I normally expect from a Days Inn.

Bottom line: Don't stay this motel.

• Stayed August 2004

Been to Days Inn Columbus Fairgrounds? Share your experiences!