“Not appropriate for solo female business traveler” 2 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added East Suites Hotel Columbus to your Saves list
East Suites Hotel Columbus
East Suites Hotel Columbus
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5944 Scarborough Blvd., Columbus, OH 43232 (Formerly Comfort Suites)   |
Ranked #106 of 140 hotels in Columbus
Tampa, Florida
“Not appropriate for solo female business traveler”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2009

I would not recommend this as a go-to hotel for a female business traveler. From the very beginning, I was unsure I really wanted to get myself into this, but thought, "It looks decent enough." Eh...

I'm a person who can "roll with it", if you know what I mean. I probably should have just rolled away.

I had a coupon from a Traveler's Friend coupon book, and now I think I know why. I don't expect this sham of a Choice Hotel to last long unless major renovations and an overhaul of management take place.

Arrival is toward the back of a dingy alley, behind a creepy Econo Lodge, and in front of a run-down Motel 6. Just the types of places you wanna see when you check into your suite, right?
Front desk manager actually looked shocked that someone was actually checking in!
I felt founded in my decision to stay based on the reasonably attractive facade and decor downstairs, but from a ride in an elevator that smells of urine to a room that smelled of burnt food and had someone else's hair on the pillows, I was sleeping on top of the covers and convincing myself that it was worth $61/night. (I have now additionally read that there were cases of bed bugs confirmed? I seriously want to throw up.)
I stayed anyway, and hey there were amenities galore, right? Wrong!

Tried the "fitness room" and pool--- a room that appeared to be added on after the fact with basic playwood and drywall... pool looked unclean and exercise room was a closet containing 1 bike, 1 treadmill (which didn't work), and a tv that also did not work. The general vibe from this off-the-beaten path area, which should be the relief from an otherwise blah blah blah motel gave a vibe of lurking observation by something or someone. I refused to stay for more than 5 minutes there and resorted to watching tv for the rest of the night, locked in my room--- and oh, by the way, no TLC, Discovery Health... nothing one would expect from cable television.

Only good for a night of uninterrupted rest and out the door the next day... or the Internet connection. That was solid with 4 bars. What else was there to do?

My advice: try Candlewood Suites in the Polaris area if you are a female business traveler. They have everything you want from a pool & excercise room, and certain safety, and you'll possibly pay about $10-15 more with an area full of things to do. Other options from the Traveler's Friend book: Holiday Inn Express off 270. Clean, comfy, and just an additional $10 for all the comforts of home.

If you are looking for a throw-down quicky or a place to snooze after an absolutely exhausting, can't-drive-one-more-minute kind of day, maybe this is your place, but otherwise, drive on by. Really--- You can do better.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business

25 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2009

In 24 hours, we went from a real gem of an hotel, the Platinum Award Winning Confort Suites in Somerset, NJ to the worst Comfort Suites we have ever stayed in ! The next worst in line being the Comfort Inn & Suites of Springfield, MO. This Columbus East CS looks dirty, is at the end of a dingy looking alley, almost like you weren't supposed to go there. The room seems OK for one night but has that sickly smell of that product certain hotels use to disinfect the rooms & hallways. Now that I have read the other reviews, I will have difficulty sleeping thinking of the bed bugs I encountered in Springfield ! The furniture is old and the "suite" TV has been removed and replaced by a 2nd desk. The bathroom door won't say open and is also difficult to close. The hallway rugs are worn out, etc. I don't understand how Comfort Suites can allow such a rundown hotel to use their name and ruin their reputation. This hotel is ripe for a conversion to a low class brand such as Red Roof Inn or Motel 6.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2008

BED BUGS....BED BUGS.....BED BUGS October 1, 2008

I have been a choice rewards member for 3 years. While driving from Virginia to Illinois my wife, daughter and I stopped at this hotel. The 2 queen room seemed nice enough that night and we all showered to get a fresh start the next day. In the morning our daughter had bites on her head, neck, back and left arm. There were drops of dried blood on the sheet. We drove home where our doctor confirmed the diagnosis of bed bugs and ordered medications to calm the itching and address the allergic reaction.

When I submitted the diagnosis and Rx to the hotel the owners refunded our room rate and...if you can believe this...offered us a free night in the very same bug infested hotel as compensation. The refunded room rate did very little to help my daughter from suffering the 10 days of pain and embarrassment from the bed bug bites. When I contacted Choice Hotels Inc, they said that it was the problem of the hotel owners. I also warned the Columbus Health Department.

The Trip Advisor directions for writing this review are to be family friendly. If you value your family health, do not stay at this hotel.
If TripAdvisor needs proof of this incident, I will submit to them the Doctor diagnosis, Rx and hotel registration.

BED BUGS BED BUGS BED BUGS BED BUGS

• Disliked — Bed Bugs
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
hothart, Shirley Hart at East Suites Hotel Columbus, responded to this review, July 5, 2009
There is a major problem in Columbus and other cities throught the United States with bed bugs. They have had problems at Ohio State, our firehouses and the list goes on.
Unfortunately for us and the guests we have no way of knowing who may be carriyng the bugs on them when they check in.
We do however check are rooms on a daily bases. But if someone has just brought them into the room it is very hard to detect them.
We have an National Pest Control Company (Terminix) we use to exerminate the problem.
We do not wish any harm to any guest. We only want for them to have a safe and pleasent stay.
Tokyo, Japan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2008

Do you have some better image in the name of "Comfort Suite" to compare with other hotel brand? (Honestly to say, I was such person) If you are such person, you will see the [----] experience here.

The facility is hidden by another hotel or carpark. And you can see the other room or people in very closed. Of course you can have privacy with curtain, but it is problem, as I feel.

Room is maintained nicely but most of the items are very old. It may look over 10 years old of some furnitures or TV.

Actually, I don't want to put 1 point (Terrible rank ) on this hotel because I know worse hotel in Comfort group, but I totally can't recommend this to other person. I won't come back to this for a while.

• Disliked — Old furniture
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2008

We stayed at the Comfort Inn East while attending a softball tournament. The entire team booked rooms here as well as many other softball teams. The condition of the hotel was the major talk among parents at this softball tournament. The hotel is located between two seedy looking motels and the area generally appeared somewhat dumpy.

The inside condition of this hotel was terrible. The rooms needed some serious updating. The rooms were so filthy that some of our team's parents ran out for lysol and clorox cleanup to spray down the rooms and bathrooms. There was more mold in the bathroom than on month old bread. The carpeting in the rooms was so filthy that our shoes would literally stick to the carpet when we walked. Staff were non responsive to our concerns. I cringe to think that these rooms are not properly cleaned between customers. Safety and cleanliness are huge concerns especially when traveling with our children.

We travel frequently with our travel softball team as well as personally with our family and on business. I would never stay at this location, nor will I ever stay at a Comfort Suite location again. Since the corporate office is not concerned with the multiple complaints that have been issued against this location, I will opt to not deal with this corporation again.

I have stayed in many hotels and motels and this is, by far, the worst that I have ever seen.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The entire hotel stay
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Indianapolis
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2008

Initially I checked into this location online. I was concerned with all of the bad reviews but since I am faithful to C.H. I decided to call the hotel directly to inquire about the complaints. The manager assured me that the accomodations were very clean and comfortable and offered a 100% satisfaction promise.

As I approached the location I was immediately taken aback but the dismal surroundings - it is centered between two very seedy looking Motels that could easily charge "By the Hour" if you know what I mean. The entrance road was riddled with huge potholes and littered with trash.

Check in went relatively smooth once the front desk clerk finally decided to make an appearance. The room that I was given was NOT what I had requested while making my reservation and when I spoke to the front desk about it they basicly brushed me off and told me to deal with it. So I was stuck with a dingy little room. The nightstands had sticky cup rings on them and there was dirt and hair all over the bathroom as well as mold along the base of the tub. I called down to request housekeeping revisit this room and was advised that housekeeping had gone home for the day - it was not even 1pm??? After several exchanges with hotel staff I was told the manager would assist me the following morning when I checked out.

When I went to check out most of the staff was outside the front door smoking and horseplaying. I asked for assistance and they told me to hang on and they would be with me shortly. When their smoke break was over I requested to speak to the manager about the issues throughout my stay and they practically laughed as they told me the manager would be late today and I would have to wait. Unfortunately I had business to attend to and could not waste more time waiting on an absent manager. I did try to call and speak with management a few times and each time I ended up on hold and eventually disconnected. Terrible terrible service indeed!

This was the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. While due to business demands I will be making many return trips back to Columbus I will definitely NOT be returning to this hotel.

• Liked — Nothing!
  • Disliked — The entire hotel was a major disappointment!
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2008

A definite mixed bag...and I'm here right now.

My biggest concern is the location. It is nestled between two low-end motels, and the area doesn't feel safe. Not "bad part of town" safe, but just a once-decent suburban area that's seen its better days.

Just an hour ago, I was treated to the sights and sounds of a police helicopter shining a spotlight on what appears to be a large yellow building that's some sort of car place, or maybe a nightclub. Can't tell from here.

The room is OK. Well, after I spent 45 minutes waiting for the front desk clerk to clear up reservations problems with members of a high school volleyball team (!) that's occupied much of the third floor.

I can't hear them from this room, but the walls may be thin...I'm hearing SOME sort of music either in the next room or outside.

Is there anything good about this nightmare? Well, the room is reasonably OK. A very small bit of worn carpet by the refrigerator, but everything works and the HS Internet is working fine - as I'm using it now.

Still, the experience between the 45 minute wait to check in, and the shaky neighborhood, and everything else...and this won't be on my list for Columbus stays when I'm back in a couple of weeks.

There's a reason it was the cheapest Comfort Suites on the list.

• Liked — Room wasn't bad overall, Internet access was fine
  • Disliked — Hotel's location between cheap hotels
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to East Suites Hotel Columbus? Share your experiences!