“Long stay --varying service -- trying to be luxury without being luxurious?” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Place Columbus/Worthington

Offers & Announcements
Double Your Points!
Ranked #30 of 142 Hotels in Columbus
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Long stay --varying service -- trying to be luxury without being luxurious?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2009

I stayed at this hotel for a week while doing research in Columbus. I found it a very odd place. It's as though it can't decide whether it's an extended stay facility or a hotel or a motel.

The service from the staff varied greatly. Some of the desk clerks were genuinely cordial and helpful, and others made me feel like they wished I'd go away. I overheard one of them making a call to a newly arrived guest to ask if he (or she) was satisfied with his room. Nobody called to ask me if I was satisfied with my room. < :-( On the morning I checked out, nobody was at the desk or in the lobby, I had to go into the office to get the manager, and he did the check out for me. He was very nice and wholly apologetic about it. It was odd though.

Housekeeping also was uneven. Clearly it depended on who was on duty that day. Sometimes, everything was nicely taken care of, and sometimes, the dishes I'd used the night before were stlll in, or next to, the sink when I returned at the end of the day.
There was wetbar with a sink, a refrigerator and a coffee maker (single cups only), but no microwave, no paper towels. Also, no plastic trash bags in the wet bar area. I used bags from carryout to dispose of wet coffee grounds and carryout containers.

However, the bed was always made; bathroom was always cleaned; and towels were clean, so the basics were covered.

The bathroom was oddly laid out -- shower/tub and toilet in room which is just big enough to contain them. A water closet, essentially. Sink and mirror out in the open area, opposite the bed. Closet is next to the sink and you can only get into 1/2 of the closet -- the other half, blocked by the bathroom counter.

No dresser. I suppose they intended for guests to use the cubby holes in the unit on which the TV sits, but they looked grubby -- a few crumbs and grease spots,. So I just put a few things in the closet and kept the rest in my luggage. I thought it was nice have a separate "living room" area, but as a solo traveler, I did not need a king-size sofa. The sofa in my room was beginning to show its age.

The hotel is set up for wifi and they expect you to use that, so they don't give you a list of local restaurants (unless you specifically ask, and then you get a list of the restaurants in the corporate park). Nor do you get a local phone book. I rely on those types of things.

When on a long trip, I also rely on having a coin washer/dryer available to me. None at this hotel. When I asked at the front desk, they said I could only send things out to be dry-cleaned. When I asked whether they knew of any laundromats I could take my things to, no "we only use the dry cleaning service." That's fine for suits and sweaters, but I wanted to wash my jeans, pajamas, socks, ...

You'll get no Comedy Central, Indie Channel, or Turner Classic Movies or certain other cable channels. It's mostly the original networks, cable news, 4 ESPN stations, animal planet, and other "reality tv". And Disney, HBO Family, and ABC Family.

The hotel itself is in a corporate park /interstate exit hotel ghetto. There are lots of overpriced chain eateries and a Bob Evans within the development, but you have to go a few miles down High Street to get to local restaurants in Old Worthington. BUT that said, if you have a car, it is easy to get from this Hyatt Place to downtown Columbus and other parts of town.

I'm giving this a "no" recommendation, because I wouldn't go back and because I feel it fails to do what other hotels do so much better. I did consider looking for another hotel, but it was more important to me to just settle so I could focus on my work. I found myself saying "glad I got a good rate" because I would have been really ticked off if I'd paid full price for this place.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Cranberry Township, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2009

My problems started when my key card wouldn't work for my room. I went back to the front desk and I was given new keys. They worked, but I entered an occupied room! That was very disconcerting to me. That's about the worst sin a hotel could commit. The room wasn't even the correct room type. The desk clerk wasn't able to do anything right. Finally the manager took us up to our room for the third time and made sure everything was correct. They offered us a free drink if we wanted it. When we checked out they decided to give us 1,500 extra Gold Passport points for our trouble. I'll have to see if the points actually post but that's pretty minimal for a Hyatt and for the situation.

After getting settled in, we found that the room was pretty nice and clean. The living room area was great with huge couches and a giant HD flat screen TV. The beds were also very comfortable. It's a trendy room although I never can understand why hotels can't change out the old outlets when they renovate. I liked the exterior sink and bathroom setup but the bathroom itself was tiny and hard to get around.

If I hadn't had a problem related to security I would have considered returning to this hotel. But based on my experience I simply cannot recommend it regardless of how nice the rooms were.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
East TN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2009

Up to Hyatt standards. Very good customer service, neat and clean. Fine breakfast.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Chevy Chase, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2009

My wife and I stayed here for a single Saturday night in August while was in town for a reunion. I grew up in the north end of Columbus and recall the Crosswoods area where this hotel is located as farmland when I was a boy.

Well, now it is home to hotels, restaurants and subdivisions. This Hyatt is brand new and at $88 with a AAA discount and including taxes, it's a steal. The rooms have a living room with very comfortable L-shaped sofa and modular leather Ottoman. The flat-screen TV is huge (almost too big for the room) and pleasant to watch. The beds are comfortable and the room we had (on the side facing south) was quiet.

The location was perfect for us. It's at the intersection of the Columbus beltway (I-270) and US 23 (High Street), which is the main street heading north/south out of downtown, 10 miles due north of downtown. Rt. 315 is just an exit away and you can be downtown in 15 minutes.

We had only one complaint. We checked in on Saturday afternoon and the desk staff was very sub par. They stuck us in a room next to the elevator. I asked for another room and they grudgingly complied (and then, I noticed, stuck the following couple who checked in in that same room next to the elevator.) Then they wrote the wrong room number on the key envelop so I had to go back downstairs four times asking why my keys didn't work. Just terrible.

Otherwise, I highly recommend the place. The breakfast was filling and you can have dishes made to order in the kitchen. The coffee was even good, which was a surprise in a chain hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Newton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2009

I loved everything about this property. The outside was clean and nicely landscaped, the inside was very clean. The breakfast area was large, nice selection of continental type items. You can also place an order if you wanted something hot. The food was great. The room was big and clean, clean, clean!!! Can't say enough about that. I stayed 3 nights and each day the housekeeping staff cleaned it perfectly. You would be crazy not to stay here. Location was just right for my trip. Definately would stay again!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
cicero, new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2009

I would highly recommend staying here! The place is great and has great food, staff, location, rooms, bkfst, etc. It is in a great location, close to shopping & restaurants of various types. But we had one slight problem @ midnite; we parked my husband's 1-ton diesel dually in the back pkg lot (due to size) . The first night 2 guys attempted to break into it. The 3rd shift mgr was pkd in back waiting for his shift to start. 2 guys pulled up & parked next 2 my husband's truck, got out & looked through the windows with flashlights. The night shift mgr got the car, description of the guys & license plate #. They left (not sure if they knew someone saw them or not, but they left). The mgr went inside, called the cops, then called our room. We moved the trk to a handicap space out front, and then took the rest of the stuff inside including his tools, then left the trk unlocked. The cop drove around till 2. This is not the 1st time it has happened. This hotel is located in a cluster of various hotels, the last time it happened, the 2 guys smashed a car window, but only got a bag of clothes. We didn't feel comfortable @ staying there another night, so @ 1 pm we asked if we could cancel our reservation, they said no problem. They didn't even charge us. I would stay here again, but I would not leave anything in the vehicle, not even your dirty laundry!!!!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Yorkshire, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2009

We are 4 English couples and stayed here for 3 nights for our sons wedding on 4th July.

I cannot praise this hotel too high, we were charged $89 a night including breakfast - the rooms were spacious, clean and very, very comfortable.

The prices for the drinks and food were good and the service was very friendly, the pizzas as a snack at lunchtime were very good.

The location is not ideal for the centre of Columbus (but it was for our family wedding) and it is right next to the Interstate highway with a very good shopping center within 2 minutes walk.

It is unlikely we will need to stay in this area again but if we did this hotel would be our first choice without doubt.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Columbus
Homewood Suites by Hilton Columbus / Worthington
Cambria Suites
Cambria Suites
#20 of 142 in Columbus
4.5 of 5 stars 239 reviews

Been to Hyatt Place Columbus/Worthington? Share your experiences!