“Awesome Place to Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #30 of 141 hotels in Columbus
Kailua Village, Hawaii, United States
“Awesome Place to Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

I have been in Columbus for 16 days for business and staying at the Hyatt Place. The staff is wonderful. My room was always clean. The staff has totally helped us navigate the city and helped my co-worker and I find places to visit on the weekend and great restaurants to try. They have a shuttle that will take you anywhere within a few miles. I love the room, so spacious and nice, great 42" flat screen. I can say that if my company brings me back to Columbus I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

136 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Warren, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012 via mobile

Great alternative to staying DT because you are only 20 minutes (average traffic time included) away. A good GPS will guide you in, effortlessly. The hotel property is in close proximity to popular chain restaurants. My room was clean, modern decor, however, several large carpet stains were visable. Big TV with sleep timer on remote. Clean bathroom. Lots of vanity space. If you want to shop in Polaris, it's very close as well, maube about 10 minutes away. Friendly staff. Breakfast is free. Toast, bagels fruit, yogurt, coffee, juice pastries, oatmeal, and cereal. Other breakfast items, eggs, pancakes, etc., available for additional cost. I will stay here again when in the area.

• Stayed May 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

For starters, this property is perfectly fine for a business or leisure stay. The guest rooms and common areas appear to be clean and well maintained, and the hotel is reasonably well priced. The staff is friendly. I would not dissuade someone from staying there. I just offer the following anecdote as failure of management of this hotel to put procedures in place to resolve guest problems in a timely and satisfactory manner.

My kvetch is this: My family and I checked in later in the day on the day of sell out (lots of youth soccer players around). We had booked a suite with two beds, but were informed, upon check in, that due to a "glitch" in their booking system, we had been assigned a handicapped room, which had one bed and a pull out couch. We understood, and did not want to make a big deal out of it. These things happen. However, my feeling was that since we were not getting what we bargained for (smaller room, no second bed) that the property ought to accommodate us with a lower rate. If I had asked for an upgrade from the room we had reserved, they rightfully and most assuredly would have demanded a higher rate. However, the front desk associate said that she did not have the authority to change the rate. We had to leave very early the next day, so I left my number for the manager to call so that we could discuss this. Seven days and counting -- no call.

My thought is this: Good hotel management means that you empower your line staff to make decisions to satisfy a customer there and then if you don't have management staff on property. If it's a matter that the associate truly should not be able to make a decision on (and I would argue that adjusting a rate 20% is not in that category), then a manager should promptly follow through to address the problem. If that does not occur, then the guest, who is already the aggrieved party, to spend time and energy pursuing management for a solution. This is hospitality folks. Put procedures in place to resolve these things.

Room Tip: Unless you are handicapped, avoid the handicapped rooms.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Defiance, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

Staff was exceptionally friendly and suites were clean. The bed area was comfortable and the couch area was too. The flat screen TV between the two was nice. Suites have a separate work and wet bar area for relaxing. Bathroom is a little small, but adequate though. Plenty of restaurants within walking distance. Really nice italian restaurant next door and fish restaurant next to the that with seafood that's flown in daily. Ruth Chris' Steakhouse, Bob Evans, and a mexican restaurant withing a stone's throw away. Near major highways; but need a GPS to figure how to get in and out of place the first few times. Hotel could put single travelers away from families though as some people tend to allow their children to run and talk loudly up and down the hall at 11 p.m.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
little rock, arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

We got a nice deal using Priceline for a 5 night stay in Columbus. The room is super nice, large and well laid out. We did not mind the sink in the sleeping area.

The toiletries are great! I love the ginger scented soaps and shampoo and the toothpaste they leave comes in really handy.

We loved the beds and the TV.

The only complaints were minor and were because the hotel had a large crowd on Sat night.. with at least 2 groups of soccer teams in residence. They were a little rowdy in the halls and the breakfast supply was rather skimpy at times on Sunday. I think the staff just had a hard time keeping food stocked. We just happened to arrive for breakfast when there were many empty serving containers.

The breakfast is basic but we enjoyed eating with real utensils using real glassware.

On Sunday housekeeping did not get us a bathmat. I am sure that is because they had so many people there the night before. We did not call downstairs to request one as it was late. We just used a hand towel for the mat.

We will return to CMH soon and hope to stay again at the Hyatt Place.

Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
PatrickGM7490, Manager at Hyatt Place Columbus/Worthington, responded to this review, August 3, 2012
Thank you so much for choosing our hotel during your trip to Columbus. I look forward to your next visit and I am confident that we will wow you and your family with our new breakfast selection. We are now offering our complimentary a.m. Kitchen Skillet™, featuring freshly prepared breakfast sandwiches, waffles, French toast, pancakes and steel cut oatmeal, available daily in our Guest Kitchen. I look forward to your next visit!
Arlington, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

Staff is friendly except for barista who would not serve beer to 55 and 70 for not having I.D. I appreciate making sure those of age are only ones drinking but it was ridiculous and if policy needs to be relaxed to a reasonable degree. Otherwise the suites r big and close to a lot of restaurants and entertainement. Cleanliness is a B which is a little slip as I would have give easy A a year ago.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
PatrickGM7490, General Manager at Hyatt Place Columbus/Worthington, responded to this review, April 19, 2012
Thank you so much for your feedback. I hope that on your next visit to town you can give us an A for the cleanliness of your room. We have made great strides this spring with a new staff and are proud to have made strong gains in this area. I agree that the ID policy can be seen as over the top. I wish it were not that way. We train our associates using the Hyatt Standards which are based on the nationally recognized CARE program. The way I interpret it once the associates have the leeway to decide who is too old to card then the system is vulnerable. I know my staff certainly wishes they were not required to ask guests who are obviously of age to drink.

Thank you again, Please ask for Patrick next time you are coming into Columbus and I will personally inspect your room!
Cleveland, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

COLUMBUS/WORTHINGTO HYATT - We were told that we could check in early and as we went to our room the doors were open and the cleaning staff hadn't finished cleaning yet. They told us to go to a different room and that room hadn't been cleaned either. It took us over an hour to check into a room. There was blood on the shower curtain. We were told we would be compensated for out inconvience as soon as the asist. manager (Lori) arrived. We left the hotel and came back and Lori had no idea of what happened. As I was telling her she told me that my story didn't add up or make sense. I asked to speak to her manager and she refused to give me his number or any other number to reach anyone higher up. The next day at check out manager Patrick was there and had no idea of what happened. Our check out bills were wrong and as he attempted to change them he had an attitude and was uncaring. He then kinda threw our reciepts at us. It took us an hour to check out. We then contact guest relations who were the only ones concerned with how we were treated. The staff is very rude/uncaring/unempathetic and need trained on how to treat unsatisfied customers

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
PatrickGM7490, General Manager at Hyatt Place Columbus/Worthington, responded to this review, April 9, 2012
Madam,
While trying to accommodate your requests to check in early my staff jumped the gun. They are taught to try their very best to handle requests of our guests and in trying to fulfill the early check in we had a communication mistake within the housekeeping department that caused the delay.
As I stated that Sunday morning we apologize for this error.
I did not throw the folio at anyone. As I was handing it to the guest they made as if to snatch it from my hands. To avoid this contact I let it go into the guest’s hand.
I certainly hope that the compensation provided will help you enjoy another visit to a Hyatt or Hyatt Place in the future.

Patrick Quinn
Hyatt Place Columbus / Worthington
614-846-4355

Been to Hyatt Place Columbus/Worthington? Share your experiences!