“Boutique Kinda” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 141 Hotels in Columbus
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Boutique Kinda”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Had a comfortable stay in this uniquely remodeled bank.

The hotel is like home with the exception of noisy door closers on each room door that echoed through the hotel.

The staff was attentive and took care of all our needs. The breakfast happy hour area was in the old vault.

I'll be calling this home base when returning for business.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Residence Inn Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
It is fantastic to hear that your stay was enjoyable! We thank you for your compliments regarding our amenities, but more importantly, our staff. Our associates strive to provide exceptional guest experiences; I will be sure to share your kind feedback. I'm thrilled we are you new hotel when traveling to Columbus.

Robert Kennedy, GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

Positive: Staying at a bank is neat and fun. The staff is friendly and tries their best to help with local advice. Rooms are spacious and clean.
Neutral: Workout room is very very small. Only one elliptical for example.
Negative: None.
Elite benefits: No recognition whatsoever of Marriott elite status. No "thank you for being loyal" etc. Recently stayed on an award and was placed on the lowest possible floor with no views.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Residence Inn Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
I’m so glad you enjoyed our unique building, spacious suites and good service! My sincere apologies that we did not acknowledge your Marriott elite status; we appreciate your business and loyalty to our brand. Incredible reflections like yours allow us to monitor and improve our guest experience. Thank you for taking the time to write a review, and we hope to see you on a return visit.

US
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

Sometimes when you read reviews you need to be a Detective to try and figure out what is real and what is not. When you review a property you have to focus on the important things like cleanliness and safety and go from there. You cannot dwell on something that may never happen to another guest again.

That being said I had the pleasure of staying at Residence Inn in downtown Columbus during a Convention in early June, 2014. For the most part, it was a very nice experience.

Let’s talk about the “good”. As you may have read, the hotel resides in a building that was once a bank. Someone had the amazing insight to preserve as much of the “bank” as possible, and gracefully incorporate a hotel. That in itself will give you that “wow factor”! It’s true what you have read, you actually grab breakfast in what was the former “vault”. Passing through the vault’s door is pretty cool to say the least. Those of you who are a little older and have been inside a City-style Bank building will remember the tall ceilings, old clocks, stairways, offices, etc.

Another “plus” was the staff at this Hotel. Our Convention had us coming and going all hours of the day. Whether it was 8 AM in the morning, or after Midnight, every single co-worker made us feel like a guest in their own home. Every one smiled and said “hello”. One even went out of their way to find me some printed information about the old Bank when he saw I was fascinated by the architecture.

Yet another surprise was the unique layout of the rooms. It was so refreshing not to walk into yet another rectangle room with a bathroom up front followed by a bed or two and finally those two chairs by the window. The spacious and spotlessly clean kitchen, eating area, living space, bedroom, and oversized bathroom area were absolutely awesome. The soft décor made it feel more like a home than a room. It was an absolute joy returning at the end of a long day.

Let’s move on to everyone’s favorite pastime, eating! If you do not like the breakfast at this property chances are good you accidentally ate somewhere else. A nice young lady and staff make it their mission to keep breakfast hot and plentiful. If the spoons run out wait just a half a second because they will be replenished immediately. The choices are endless and include fresh fruit, hot waffles, eggs, sausage, several varieties of cereal, bagels, muffins and the list goes on and on and on. Additionally, is always something new every morning. I honestly can’t imagine the breakfast being any better. I appreciate the plentiful seating area which is an issue at many hotels that offer breakfast. A hint to those of you who are considering this property: Breakfast ends a little earlier than I would like, (I believe 930 AM), so set your alarms if it’s something you don’t want to miss!

Those of you familiar with Columbus know the City is far from the preverbal American City. Columbus pretty much closes up at the end of the work day. Where in the Country does a Chipotles Restaurant close at 4 PM? Lol! That being said, you will want to check your maps to see if this coincides with your plans. It should be noted the City appears to be extremely safe and we were not the least big concerned walking the six blocks or so to and from the Convention Center each day.

So what didn’t I like? I was a little surprised there was no safe in the room? With the amount of electronics we carry today every room needs to have a safe large enough to accommodate valuables. It should be noted I did not inquire at the Desk so they very well may have accepted valuables there, however even if so, it would be highly inconvenient. (Yes, I agree it is a little ironic especially because the hotel was in a bank, lol!)

Another “con” is the parking. As you may have read and heard this receives mixed reviews. When the Convention people checked in the first words out of their mouth after hearing the parking charge was, “That ain’t happenin’, so where should I park?” I’m not paying those prices for a room and another $20 or $25 to park my car. The funny thing about Columbus is, as may know, there is parking garage on just about every corner. From surface lots to garages there are plenty of places to park. Meters and Garage Parking rates are confusing to say the least and that is compounded by missing attendants. I witnessed guests asking Police Officers for clarification. However, once you know the prices/system you can find parking around the corner. Meters are free after 8 PM and all day Sunday if that is any help. The Columbus Visitor’s Bureau is aware of this concern. Hopefully better rates and signage is in the near future.

In closing you are getting a room and an experience. You will get a kick out staying in a bank. You will receive a delightful room and equally delightful breakfast. The staff will treat you with kindness and respect. I hope you enjoy your stay as much as we did!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Residence Inn Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
I’m so glad you enjoyed your experience staying at the Residence Inn Columbus Downtown during your convention. While I’m sorry to hear parking was frustrating; I’m delighted to know you enjoyed your stay. It’s encouraging to hear that our hard work is affecting the guest experience. I look forward to sharing your kind comments with our team. Thank you taking the time to write.

Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

The building, room, breakfast, and location were all good. You can walk to restaurants, the state capitol, the riverfront, and bus stop very easily. Parking for free is an issue; they enforce the meters until 10 pm in the area. The room had a full kitchen and complimentary microwave popcorn. The breakfast buffet was nice enough. The hotel was worth the price we paid.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience at the Residence Inn Columbus Downtown with us and other travelers. It’s nice to hear that you enjoyed our great location in the heart of it all in addition to our spacious rooms and breakfast. I am glad you were able to explore the area. We look forward to hosting you again.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

This downtown Columbus hotel is probably one of the most unique Residence Inns I have visited. The old bank look is well preserved with the vault still intact and used as the breakfast area. The lobby is very ornate and looks like the banks of yesteryear when people had to be convinced to take their money from under their mattresses and trust it to a bank. Valet parking is expensive but efficient. The hotel front desk staff is exceptional. Great location for downtown and just a short ride up High Street to OSU. Try the Tip Top restaurant across the street for good bar food.

Room Tip: If you stay on the fifth floor you'll get to see the old steel beams above the main lobby.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Residence Inn Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Dear Bob,
I’m delighted to hear you enjoyed our unique hotel and convenient location; it’s nice to know you liked the area. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are truly humbled by your recognition and await your return.
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

This hotel is in an old bank. And the breakfast is served in the vault! The front desk staff was very friendly. The room was clean and very nicely decorated. My husband and I were there for a romantic evening. We enjoyed a happy hour crawl at the local restaurants and bars. We then walked to the Palace Theatre for a show. We walked back to the hotel stopping for a night-cap. We returned to our spacious room and the next morning we enjoyed breakfast. We would defiantly return. Great location, great hospitality and a fun get-away.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Residence Inn Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Barbara B,
We appreciate you choosing Residence Inn Columbus Downtown for your romantic evening with your husband, and we thank you for reflecting on your stay. It's wonderful to hear that the level of hospitality and conveniences you experienced made for a fun get away. We hope you'll return for many more visits in the future. Thank you once again for writing!

Kind regards,
Robert Kennedy, General Manager
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

OK - When I pay $200/night (actually $199) in Columbus, OH I expect a little more. We stayed Sat/Sun night during OSU's graduation weekend. Curbside valet and the check in process all were fine. The room was fine (more later, including some tips).

The valet car retrieval system is slick, but failed miserably during a "perfect storm" of guests wanting their vehicles all about the same time around 5pm Saturday. I'm not a Rhodes Scholar, but I would think that college graduation and people forking over $200/night would be heading out to dinner with their graduates, right? Instead of texting or using the card reader app on my smart phone I waited 10 min in line to find out that my car would not be available for at least 1/2 hour and probably more. The three valets on duty were simply overwhelmed by at least 50 guests. The downfall was when one of them remarked that five valets had quit the past week (college kids of course). We were forced to spend $50 to take a cab (Uber actually for those who know about it) to make our dinner reservation.

Suggestion for next time? Have the valets suggest street level parking (which is rather abundant) during the day, given their prior experience and at least WARN the guests that peak demand will occur 5-7pm and their car may be delayed. Tell people at check in. It's common sense, right? This wasn't a Holiday Inn Express with free surface parking.

My only other gripe was that I was charged for valet service the other 2 days when I had actually paid out the day rate (less than 10 hours) upon my return Saturday evening. I parked on the street Saturday night, Sunday / Sunday night and Monday until 8am for free. The clerk removed the charge without incident.

Now back to the room - good layout for the 1 Bedroom with separate Living Room/Kitchenette - all 1 Bedrooms end in "02" and are near the elevator facing the rear of the hotel. We were in room 1202 which was above the "garage view" which has been mentioned in other reviews - higher is indeed better. All "01" rooms are 2 Bedroom suites and are probably the nicest with a decent view of the Capitol building at least at the top floors. The remaining rooms numbers are studios - I would suggest asking for a room at the front of the hotel and higher floors, if possible.

Breakfast was actually very good, particularly when there were at least 2 people staffing it; problems occurred when one person left and food / coffee was just not able to be replenished promptly by the one very nice and frazzled woman trying to keep up.

Lastly, a very good location and very walkable as its location is DT. Only 5-10 minutes to OSU by car.

In summary, a good experience overall. Probably best on "non-event" weekends.

Room Tip: 01 rooms are 2 bedroom suites facing front of hotel, 02 rooms are 1 bedroom suites facing rear of ho...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Residence Inn Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
MarkandBetsy,
Thank you for writing a review. I'm glad you had a good experience overall and I appreciate your suggestions on improving our services. We regret the frustrations you encountered with retrieving your vehicle and I can assure you this has been addressed with the valet company. Guest satisfaction is our highest priority and we hope to have another opportunity to demonstrate just that. Thank you again for your feedback.

Kind regards,
Robert Kennedy, General Manager

Been to Residence Inn Columbus Downtown? Share your experiences!