“Good, not Great experience - still recommend” 4 of 5 stars

Special Deal
Free Breakfast
Ranked #22 of 140 hotels in Columbus
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Good, not Great experience - still recommend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

OK - When I pay $200/night (actually $199) in Columbus, OH I expect a little more. We stayed Sat/Sun night during OSU's graduation weekend. Curbside valet and the check in process all were fine. The room was fine (more later, including some tips).

The valet car retrieval system is slick, but failed miserably during a "perfect storm" of guests wanting their vehicles all about the same time around 5pm Saturday. I'm not a Rhodes Scholar, but I would think that college graduation and people forking over $200/night would be heading out to dinner with their graduates, right? Instead of texting or using the card reader app on my smart phone I waited 10 min in line to find out that my car would not be available for at least 1/2 hour and probably more. The three valets on duty were simply overwhelmed by at least 50 guests. The downfall was when one of them remarked that five valets had quit the past week (college kids of course). We were forced to spend $50 to take a cab (Uber actually for those who know about it) to make our dinner reservation.

Suggestion for next time? Have the valets suggest street level parking (which is rather abundant) during the day, given their prior experience and at least WARN the guests that peak demand will occur 5-7pm and their car may be delayed. Tell people at check in. It's common sense, right? This wasn't a Holiday Inn Express with free surface parking.

My only other gripe was that I was charged for valet service the other 2 days when I had actually paid out the day rate (less than 10 hours) upon my return Saturday evening. I parked on the street Saturday night, Sunday / Sunday night and Monday until 8am for free. The clerk removed the charge without incident.

Now back to the room - good layout for the 1 Bedroom with separate Living Room/Kitchenette - all 1 Bedrooms end in "02" and are near the elevator facing the rear of the hotel. We were in room 1202 which was above the "garage view" which has been mentioned in other reviews - higher is indeed better. All "01" rooms are 2 Bedroom suites and are probably the nicest with a decent view of the Capitol building at least at the top floors. The remaining rooms numbers are studios - I would suggest asking for a room at the front of the hotel and higher floors, if possible.

Breakfast was actually very good, particularly when there were at least 2 people staffing it; problems occurred when one person left and food / coffee was just not able to be replenished promptly by the one very nice and frazzled woman trying to keep up.

Lastly, a very good location and very walkable as its location is DT. Only 5-10 minutes to OSU by car.

In summary, a good experience overall. Probably best on "non-event" weekends.

Room Tip: 01 rooms are 2 bedroom suites facing front of hotel, 02 rooms are 1 bedroom suites facing rear of ho...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Residence Inn Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
MarkandBetsy,
Thank you for writing a review. I'm glad you had a good experience overall and I appreciate your suggestions on improving our services. We regret the frustrations you encountered with retrieving your vehicle and I can assure you this has been addressed with the valet company. Guest satisfaction is our highest priority and we hope to have another opportunity to demonstrate just that. Thank you again for your feedback.

179 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Columbus, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

I stayed at Residence Inn for two weeks and I enjoyed my stay at first, but I have to agree about a a comment made previously. After my the first week some requests do met with attitude after a while and it's unfortunate, because the rooms and the daily breakfast service is great.

What really got it for me is when I had to pushed my own things on the heavy luggage with my three young children ages 7 and 5 trying to push the cart as well as the evening shift hotel employees.

When I requested the luggage cart it was just left at my room door with not offer of assistance to help load my cart. Service with a smile (sarcasm).

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Residence Inn Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Lawanda H,
We appreciate hearing from you and receiving feedback from your stay. Our highest priority is delivering the quality service and product that our guests have come to expect and deserve. We're sorry for falling short of that goal and we hope you'll give us another opportunity. Thank you again for your feedback.

Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

I stayed here two nights for a conference and was quite pleased. I was in room 1513 and had a terrific view of downtown, with much light from the several windows. The kitchenette was a wonderful convenience. The room was comfortable, quiet, and clean. The hotel itself is close to the trails by the river and to many restaurants downtown. Everyone on the staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. I'll be staying here again next time I'm in Columbus.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Residence Inn Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Ohioabroad,
Thank you for reflecting on your recent stay with us at Residence Inn Columbus Downtown. It’s great to hear you enjoyed your room’s view, as well as the friendly service and conveniences offered at our hotel. We look forward to your next visit and thank you again for writing.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

We LOVED staying here! The staff was absolutely incredible from valet to front desk (especially front desk-what amazing service!) to bartender... they made our stay so fun and were accommodating beyond belief. We just traveled from SD to Turkey and stopped in Ohio to visit family and what a hugely pleasant surprise Columbus turned out to be. We only stayed a night and we stay in a lot of hotels... This one is by far one of our favorite stays! ♡♡♡♡

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Laura B,
Thank you for choosing Residence Inn Columbus Downtown. We’re happy to have been a part of your travels, and we’re thrilled to know the service and comfort you experienced made this one of your favorite stays. We hope you’ll return for another visit again soon. Thanks again!

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

As many have said about this hotel, the location in a former bank makes it unique. It is also well situation downtown to be convenient to good restaurants, the state house, city hall, and arena. The convention center and Short North is a slightly further walk, but doable. A bus stop is right around the corner on High Street. OSU is a 10-15 minute ride away from there. We had absolutely gorgeous weather during our stay, so Gay street was lively with patio dining. What also makes the stay extra special is the fact that the staff is so friendly and helpful. They really make you feel welcome and looked-after. They will welcome your dog, too. There were doggie treats at the front desk for canine guests. The complimentary breakfast includes hot items, as well as cold cereal, and the like. There is probably something there for everyone, and the breakfast room is well-tended, even on Sunday, so there's no concern about running out of anything. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed on the side overlooking Gay Street over a weekend when they had a street market going on...
Green Features: Breakfast buffet used china and silver during the week, but plastic utensils and Styrofoam on Sunday, so it seems like they are making some efforts in this area.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Residence Inn Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
CatyD2013,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us at Residence Inn Columbus Downtown. It’s fantastic to hear that our excellent staff, clean accommodations, and complimentary breakfast selection reflect our high quality standards. We’re glad you had an opportunity to experience all that our property and location has to offer. Please come back to join us again in the future.

East Sandwich, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

My expectations were not high for a stay at a Residence Inn on a recent short business trip to Columbus. Much to my surprise, the property was not a generic mid-level hotel. The lobby and breakfast area has been retrofitted into the space of an 80+ year old former bank building complete with a soaring ornate plaster coffered ceiling and walls decorated with bas relief pillars, sculptured borders and dentil molding. A glass room in one corner is labeled "Safe Deposit" in large gold antique letters and the breakfast area features the original bank cash vault door. The front desk staff was friendly and efficient and called my room 15 minutes after check in to ask if everything was in order. I had a corner room that was very comfortable and roomy with a full sized kitchen, living area, bedroom alcove and adjacent bath. The sink area was separate from the toilet/bath. The hotel is in an excellent location in downtown Columbus. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Residence Inn Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Sharon P,
Thank you for writing a review and reflecting on your stay with us at Residence Inn Columbus Downtown. We're pleased to hear we exceeded your expectations with our unique property, friendly service, and comfortable accommodations. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us and we hope to see you again soon. Thank you again for your review.

Albany, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

Beautiful room in downtown area. It really is an old bank. Loved the breakfast area in the vault. Quiet area during the weekend due to downtown location. Valet parking was very easy and useful and they were quick and always friendly.

• Stayed April 2014
Beth Anne S,
We appreciate hearing from you and thank you for writing a review from your stay. It's wonderful to receive your complimentary feedback on our beautiful rooms, as well as the efficient and friendly service you received from our staff. We hope you'll have an opportunity to visit us again at Residence Inn Columbus Downtown. Thank you again for writing.

Robert Kennedy, General Manager

Been to Residence Inn Columbus Downtown? Share your experiences!