“We Really Enjoyed Our Stay at the Harrison House B&B” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Harrison House Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Columbus
Harrison House Bed and Breakfast
Save Saved
You added Harrison House Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
313 W 5th Avenue, Columbus, OH 43201   |
Ranked #4 of 20 Columbus B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Ohio
“We Really Enjoyed Our Stay at the Harrison House B&B”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Lynne graciously allowed us to book very last minute, two couples, two rooms, for only ONE night (more work for a B&B owner) ... We walked about a mile to catch the CBus (free) to our first Red White & Boom experience .... which we enjoyed immensely. The neighborhood is quaint, victorian, old restored homes, and we felt perfectly safe walking back after midnight. Our rooms were very clean and comfortable. Breakfast was absolutely scrumptuous (baked french toast - awesome!) and conversation enjoyable. We sampled the sherry before bedtime after our very long, tiresome day at the fireworks, all free! We enjoyed our morning walk around the neighborhood and just everything about our stay. We would recommend to anyone, and if ever in that area again, would stay again. Thanks for a wonderful weekend!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
harrisonhouseohio, Owner at Harrison House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Loved having you all as guests! Glad you enjoyed our great fireworks celebration and a wee nip of Sherry! Hope to see you again! Cheers! Lynn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Albany, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

We love staying at the Harrison House. I enjoy the beautiful home in a laid back atmosphere. This is not your stuffy B and B. Lynn is a wonderful hostess and quickly feels like a friend. She has great recommendations for a variety of things, spice shops, restaurants, activities, thrift stores, etc. We stayed over the July Fourth holiday and brought our 5 year old. There are not many bed and breakfasts you can feel comfortable bringing a high energy five year old girl. Lynn went out of her way to make my daughter feel at home, even putting in special towels and a cup in the room as well as a rocking horse and chair. We stayed in room one and loved it, spacious, filled with light and clean. Very comfy bed and chair. Besides serving up a wonderful breakfast, Lynn invited us to join her and her friends for a cookout where my daughter enjoyed hula hooping, dancing with guests and we relaxed in the back yard with a great group of people. We will be staying here again, my daughter thinks Lynn is her fairy godmother for all the extras she did for her on top of all the other tasks she has as a busy b and b owner.

Room Tip: We stayed in room one, spacious and comfortable. It faces a busy street but the noise was not bother...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
harrisonhouseohio, Owner at Harrison House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
The fairy godmother was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO very happy to finally meet the little princess! I can't wait until she visits again...and mommy and daddy can come too! xoxoxoxo Lynn
Albany, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

Outstanding place, service, hostess, and facilities. Lynn took great care of us and we would gladly stay here again.Location was close to Short North, Fireworks, Doo-Dah parade, and all of the shopping we were looking for.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
What was this...like your 4th or 5th visit here!?!?! I always love having you as guests and after this weekend you are now "family"! Looking forward to the next time you need to escape to Columbus and know for sure I'll see you next year for the celebrations of the 4th! xoxoxox, Lynn
Cleveland, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

I don't like to complain so this is not an easy review to write. But if I am going to write something, I need to be honest.

We arrived at 3:00 (check-in was anytime after 2:00) Our confirmation said if no one answered (as she may be asleep or running errands) to use the code provided to retrieve our key from the lock box. Our key was in the box (name was wrong, but at least the key was there.) We walked in to a mess! The dining room table had dirty plates, napkins and glasses which were still half full of OJ from the morning breakfast. The pitchers of juice still on the table.There were bills and papers scattered about. The kitchen sink was overflowing with dirty dishes. There wasn't a spot to be found on the counter. The skillet used to make the morning eggs was dirty and still on the stove. There were bags of hot dog and hamburger buns left opened (which were probably from the 4th of July which was the day before!) Breakfast is over by 9:30. It was after 3:00!!!!
We made our way to our 3rd floor room, passing by rooms that hadn't been cleaned. We weren't being nosy, but the doors were open. Our room was clean enough. There were hairs on the bathroom mat and ants in the bathroom, but it wasn't too bad. The screens didn't fit the window frames so there was an 1" gap at the top. We decided to keep the windows shut and run the AC. It was very loud, but that would be expected with a room air conditioning unit. (Unfortunately, the ceiling fan was also noisy.)
We wanted to walk the property. To get to the back patio the note in our room said to use the door in the dining room. But on the door in the dining room was a note that said "do not use this door because of the dogs." (We didn't see any dogs.) We walked on the sidewalk and could see who we thought might be the owner sitting on the side porch. I think she was there the whole time!
A B&B is all about service. Yet we never even met the owner until we were checking out the next day. We had left a note in the evening saying "We will not be having breakfast." (The kitchen and dining room were just too filthy to chance a meal ~that part wasn't left on the note.) When we FINALLY met the owner she didn't ask "How was your stay?" "Did you sleep well?" "Can I get you a cup of coffee?" NOTHING. Just "Sorry about your name. I need to get your credit card swipe."
For all that was written on the reviews about the "great" service, we were extremely disappointed.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
I'm sorry your stay was not up to par...but sadly, you do complain. I've taken the time to read some of your other reviews. It never ceases to amaze me how quickly people post their negative reviews.
I have a lock box for keys so guests may arrive at their leisure, giving me the discretion to do my shopping(at the grocery store 4-5 x a week) or take a short nap or rest a bit in the sunshine on my back porch. I checked my calendar and I haven't had a complete day to myself since February, I had a very busy week and the upcoming weeks are booked up too...I needed a bit of peace in the sun. I average 12 days a year that I don't have a guest.
I apologized in the morning for the "incorrect" name...I used your last name instead of your first so the name wasn't totally wrong.
Breakfast isn't over at 9:30...that's my last seating time...we were actually at the table until 10:30 and I don't begin my housework until after 11 when guests have checked out.
Serving breakfast for 10 guests does indeed leave a very messy (not filthy) dining room and kitchen. Another interruption in my cleaning occurred when some friends who had been at the party on the 4th decided to come back for lunch on the 5th...I guess I missed the open bun bags.
The bane of my existence is my kitchen! Most B&B's have a kitchen that is closed to guests, mine is open to the dining room. This affords me the opportunity to visit with my guests while cooking and I can keep an eye on the dining room and anticipate when more coffee is needed, time for the next course, dishes cleared...etc. Due to the many other chores I attend to, the kitchen is sometimes not cleaned up until afternoon or evening.
I had 6 rooms upstairs to clean from the night before guests. Your room was completely cleaned first and as you were the only guests that night I took the opportunity to strip all of the beds completely (yours included) and wash mattress pads, pillow covers, pillows, blankets and quilts.
That's a minimum of 12 loads of laundry just for the bedding and another 6 loads for all of the towels. Sheets are sent out to a laundry service, thank goodness! or I would never be able to leave the laundry room!
The house is 124 years old and not all of the windows and screens fit securely. I'm sorry that you found hairs on your bath mat...a lot of hairs pass through this house and sometimes attach themselves to towels and mats in the laundry. I've never noticed that the ceiling fan makes any noise, but the A/C-heat unit is an industrial hotel type and does cool/heat the room well, albeit a bit noisy. As for the ants, the pesky little things were not there when I cleaned the room, nor were any in evidence when I cleaned the room after your stay. I commend you if you've never found a stray hair or ant in your house.
I found your note on the kitchen counter in the evening....and I'm sure you noticed (but failed to mention) that the counter was now cleared off and the dishes done and the orange juice put away.
I have 2 dogs and when we are in the backyard, I put up a note...not all people are dog lovers.
Many times I don't meet up with guests until breakfast and have never had a complaint about that before. When I met you, you were packed up and ready to leave, I apologized for the “mistake” with your name. Cup of coffee?? you left a note telling me you would NOT be having breakfast.
Sorry I didn't ask how your stay was...but you did seem in a hurry to leave. My email tells you, and it is common practice, that I will ask to run your card before departure.
My reviews speak for themselves, and I have many, many returning guests but occasionally someone's perception of their stay is a sad negative. I try my best to provide a comfortable visit for all of my guests.
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

I got a hot tip from the local tripadvisor forum after all the hotels downtown ran out of reasonably priced rooms. The tip turned out great for me and I feel very lucky to have made the choice to stay at Lynn's B&B "Harrison House".

The B&B is very welcoming. Lynn was very responsive even before making the reservation. Upon arrival, I felt right at home and she went out of her way to make me feel welcome. The house is gorgeous, the rooms are very nicely decorate, big, clean and quite.

I had to walk daily 16 minutes through a park to the convention center, which added to the experience. Those looking to visit OSU would find the location very convenient. There is also a very frequent bus nearby that I used on the last day when I had to carry my luggage with me.

There are a few regular and returning guests at the house. Breakfast is delicious and a good opportunity to chat with the other guests.

The only thing missing for me was a gym. However, you can get day passes at OSU and there are running trails that start nearby. Lynn is also very knowledgeable about everything that goes on in Columbus and Ohio in general and was very helpful. When planning a day trip, the information my friends got at their hotels was petty much useless. Lynn's information was right on the spot.

Staying at Lynn's made all the difference for me. I would recommend it to anyone visiting Columbus.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Nice that you were able to follow up on your Tripadvisor "hot tip" for your stay in Columbus. It's always a pleasure to have such kind guests! I'm glad that you enjoyed your day trip...Hocking Hills is one of my favorite places in Ohio! Maybe you'll be able to get a sabbatical position at OSU and we'll meet again! Cheers! Lynn
Tampa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

i love staying here. home sweet home... i've stayed in every room on several visits...and they're all great in their own unique way. the bed's are awesome. the character of the entire place is perfect...and the innkeeper...uniquely perfect as well. i totally feel at home here and love breakfast and fun conversations each morning. the coffee cake is freakin' amazing. and the coffee and bacon aroma's and flavors are delicious. i must return.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Home sweet home! Love hearing that description of Harrison House! The best part of owning a B&B is all of the wonderful guests I get to spend time with! I love that you share your family stories with me and I can do the same. Thanks for sharing your mom's biscuit recipe, I may be able to get it to work for me some day!
...and where are we now.?...about 4 months that you have been here for 3 days each week?!?!? Hope your business contract gets extended! The last long term business traveler was here for 2 1/2 years...see you next week! Cheers! Lynn
California, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

The Innkeeper Lynn is a warm friendly hostess, who makes you feel right at home the minute you meet her. She even took our reservation without a card, because we called from our cell while on the road, and the connection wasn't clear. To enter the B&B, we walked on a path through a lovely little garden of plants and vegetables. The room was on the 2nd floor and very VERY spacious. There were lace curtains on an adorable bay window and a day bed in the bay window area. Perfect place to read a book, or sleeping area. The queen bed was very compfy with nice clean linens. Both the bed and day bed were covered with matching quilts, which reminded me of my Grandma's house. The bathroom was sparkly clean. Between the bathroom and bedroom area, was a very nice desk that could be used as a work station for a laptop. My only "complaints" were that when I looked out the windows in our room I saw that the sills and curtains were quite dusty, the carpet in our room and in the hall looked a little worn, and the entrance and kitchen off the dining room was cluttered. Lynn gave us a great recommendation on dinner at the Cap City Diner (5 min away). Breakfast the next morning was served in a very charming dining room, with pretty dishes. The made from scratch scones were delicious, as were the eggs and bacon. Full pitchers of orange juice and great coffee were available for refills. I wanted so badly to give this 4-5 stars because Lynn is so sweet, and the house is such a beautiful Victorian, but I felt the house just needed a little more attention. I know it must be hectic to run a B&B, so maybe I was there during a really busy summer season. I still would like to return sometime. I felt completely safe, ample parking, very easy to get back to interstate, and Lynn's hospitality can't be beat.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
harrisonhouseohio, Owner at Harrison House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Sounds like your visit here was great, albeit a few small things. The house is 124 years old, located on a busy urban street and heated by older gas furnaces...extremely hard to keep dust out of the house. I clean and within 2 days there is another layer of dust on everything. The carpet gets A LOT of traffic, I average 12 days a year with an empty house. Every time I have the carpet cleaned, it stretches a little. I am looking into replacement vs. pulling up, replacing the pad and re-laying the existing wool carpet. Either way, it will be a huge expense that unfortunately is not in the budget right now. The entrance is not cluttered but the kitchen is...this is the hub of the operation and the bane of my existence! Most B&B's have a hidden kitchen with no guest access, mine happens to be open to all but my counter top (with all my cooking gear) doesn't impede access to the guest fridge. I've given up apologizing for the kitchen counter...I do all of the work here by myself and am continually interrupted with my chores...things end up being dropped on the counter until I have time to find a proper home for them. It's nice to hear that the things that really mattered met with satisfaction. I would enjoy having you as guests again, but beware...the kitchen will probably still have a bit of a cluttered look. Cheers! Lynn

Been to Harrison House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!