“A Columbus Gem” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Harrison House Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Columbus
Harrison House Bed and Breakfast
313 W 5th Avenue, Columbus, OH 43201   |
Ranked #4 of 20 Columbus B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Batavia, OH
“A Columbus Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Staying at the Harrison House was a very pleasurable experience. Lynn's hospitality was genuine and our conversations interesting and informative. She was was very accomodating of our bridge playing needs and we look forward to a return trip. Food was great and room comfortable and inviting. Many thanks for a great stay!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
harrisonhouseohio, Owner at Harrison House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Carole, Loved having you and your friends here for the night. Just wish I had listened to my mother and learned to play Bridge! Enjoyed our conversation and sharing of recipes...hope to see you again in Columbus and I hope to get a day off to visit you this Fall. Fondly, Lynn

95 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Macon, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

Absolutely wonderful stay. Lynn was an excellent host and made my wife and I feel like family. The rooms were cozy and the food was delicious. Will definitely stay here again and would recommend to anyone visiting Columbus :)

• Stayed March 2013
What a pleasure to have you as guests! It warms my heart when guests feel like family! See you again on a future trip to Columbus. Fondly, Lynn
jcmcnair@fuse.net
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Relaxing alternative to hotel. Fresh brownies for evening snack and fabulous breakfast kept us filled up all day. Great location if you are visiting OSU. We were in room 6 on the 3 rd floor...smelled the bacon all the way up there. Fruit, scones, cinnamon cake, eggs and bacon for breakfast. Stay here!

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Ah yes...the "bacon alarm" definitely wafts up to the 3rd floor. I'm pleased that you enjoyed your stay and I enjoyed your lively breakfast conversation. Fondly, Lynn
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Four of us - my mother, my two sisters and I - recently spent a cosy winter weekend at Harrison House.

Lynn, the innkeeper, made us feel almost like one of her family, and I'm not kidding: when we arrived, another one of her guests was in the kitchen making a dessert for Lynn's family's upcoming visit. (Later in the evening, our group was invited to join Lynn, her family, and the dessert-creator-guest to sample the venison that the inkeeper's brother had provided for their entree.)

During our visit, we took full advantage of Harrison House's adjacent guest parking and convenient location near the Short North. The four of us spent Saturday afternoon enjoying the area's unique atmosphere and one-of-a-kind shops. And we had a lovely Saturday-evening dinner at Lindey's in German Village. We had a great time and went home with plenty of memories.

Two caveats to future guests: the 3rd floor room created a tad more "family togetherness" than we might have preferred. Granted, our room certainly did sleep four - and when all are horizontal, comfortably - but when the sofa bed is pulled out, it pretty much fills up the room. Also, it might matter to you that one side of the en-suite shower stall is made of glass block so that the body in the shower is vaguely visible to anyone out in the bedroom. Certainly, one does not choose to stay at B&Bs for the predictability, but it seems like this room should be to be fully understood to be fairly anticipated.

Room Tip: The third-floor bedroom sleeps four but very compactly; its glass-block, visible-in-the-bedroom show...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

My stay at Harrison House B&B was probably the most short-lived stay of anyone. A couple of weeks ago, my new puppy managed to lock me and my other dog out of our house at 5:30 in the morning! No makeup, no cell phone, hair was a mess, and still in my Jammie's with a newly neutered dog who still had a plastic cone on his head. I should also add that I'm new to Ohio and know hardly anyone in the city still, so I felt extremely alone and scared. After wandering around my neighborhood for about an hour trying to find some way to contact my boyfriend (who was out of town of course) I stumbled upon Lynn's humble abode. She took my dog and me in, fed my hot, fresh coffee and coffee cake, and my dog water and treats. Se let me use her phone and Internet to contact my workplace so I could let the, know I would be late, and she didn't mind that I probably racked her phone bill up quite a bit. At the end of everything, she gave me boxes to patch up the window i ended up having to break and a mop device to reach in and release the metal door jam in the floor. She was incredibly kind, giving, and warm during one of the most stressful moments of my young life so far. I am incredibly grateful for her and her gorgeous home. If you're looking for someone who will treat you with respect and human dignity, cooks better than Paula Dean, and has a comfortable, friendly home, this is your place, hands down. Plus, it's located in one of the most artsy and entertaining areas of Columbus. Thanks for everything, Lynn! You were my mom away from home. <3

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
harrisonhouseohio, Owner at Harrison House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Darling Nicci...what a pleasure to meet you and your puppy in your time of need! I'm happy to hear that your break-in was successful and hopefully the door has been replaced by now. Do stop by again and we'll share another cup of coffee or tea. Fondly, Lynn
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

Harrison House might be the ultimate B & B!
Lynn, owner and manager is a funny, friendly lady who makes you feel right at home in her historical home. The dining room is my favorite dining room in the whole world, and the food is great. Each time I'm there, she goes out of her way to make my stay memorable, without being intrusive. The rooms are quiet, even on this busy street, the decorating is lovely and the food, oh the food!!! It is my favorite place to stay when away from home.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
MaryAnn...always a pleasure to have you as a guest! Maybe we can venture to the "new" Casino on your next visit. xoxoxo Lynn
Louisville, Kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

While the interior of this B&B may be beautiful and the food divine, we never made it past the front door! We called the Harrison House to inquire about scheduling, at the owner's convenience, a visit since we are planning to rent an entire B&B for several days surrounding an upcoming wedding. The owner was quite rude, advising us that "I don't do this", apparently meaning allowing a potential guest to view in advance what they will be purchasing. She insisted that our only option was to look at photos on-line, which we had already done with only limited success. This owner is in direct contrast to so many gracious B&B operators who grace this industry. Without doubt she was one of valedictorians of the IN-hospitality program that she must have taken to prepare her for her line of work!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
harrisonhouseohio, Owner at Harrison House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
So sorry that you were not able to tour Harrison House on the afternoon that you called. I value the safety and security of my guests and do not give tours when the B&B is booked full. I explained the situation to both of you on the phone. I wasn't rude...I simply could not give you a tour on the only day that you were in town....all of the guest rooms were in use and the only "room" you would have been able to view would have been the foyer.

Been to Harrison House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!