“No issues here” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #110 of 140 hotels in Columbus
Youngstown
“No issues here”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2008

I have stayed in far better and far worse. For the price of this hotel, it is as expected. The poor reviews of rooms and surroundings were not experienced on my trip. The only issue I had was waiting on someone from the front desk to process my check-in. Aside from that, every thing was great!

• Liked — Price, location
  • Disliked — Front desk staff
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

213 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Washington DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2008

We never had the chance to actually stay at this property. We had a block of 12 rooms reserved for a girls softball team coming in to town for a large local tournament. Unfortunately, 5 days prior to arrival, we had to withdraw from the tournament due to some unfortunate and serious injuries sustained by a few of our players in the preceeding weeks. I explained our situation to the Sales Manager and requested that the hotel waive the cancellation penalty of one night's stay as a gesture of goodwill towards these families who had absolutely no control over this situation. My request was denied. I further pleaded for the penalty to be at least minimized, but was again denied. Again, they were being given 5 days notice of the cancellation. I spoke with a Customer Service Rep at the Best Western HQ who placed a courtesy call on my behalf to the hotel manager, but again the request was denied. They charged our credit cards immediately upon making the reservation and know that there is nothing we can do about it now. It is a shame that this management could not see fit to offer some type of break to a group of families that are already facing a hardship due to unfortunate circumstances. I would not give them my business ever again.

Stayed July 2008
Cleveland, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2008

This hotel was clean and suited our needs. We did not utilize many of the facilities. However, the room was spacious and clean.

• Liked — Close to may sights
  • Disliked — Towels could have been more plentiful
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2008

I pricelined this hotel for $30 a night for 4 total nights. I was suprised a 2.5 star came up as a Best Western as usually they are 2 stars on priceline. See my prior reviews as I always get great priceline rates...

The outside is OLD. Looks like it was built in the 60s. It is an old building. In fact, it used to be a Sheraton years ago.

Inside the room are nice and spacious with fairly new furniture. Bed is ok, just kinda worn out, but still ok. Overall the room was fine with inside door access. In other words, when you open your door its to an inside hallway.

There is a restuarant attached to the hotel but it is not associated with the hotel, meaning you cannot charge dinner to your room. Food was pretty good and the bar area was pretty nice. The bar is a night club on weekends, and they were making the bar walls "soundproof" when I was there. Apparently on weekends the rooms close by could hear the music, hence the new walls.

For $30 a night or even $40 its a good deal. Like I said, the hotel on the outside looks beat up, but inside its just fine. For the economy traveler(s) it is a good place to lie your head.

Also, I saw lots of kids as there was an indoor and outdoor pool. FYI. Good place for price sensitive families. Place is huge, lots of rooms.

Stayed June 2008
Medina, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2008

Due to some flight problems, we needed to stay in Columbus an extra day, and wanted something last minute and cheap. So, we submitted a lowball bid on Priceline and ended up with this.

I did not know what to expect. I've stayed in some adequate Best Westerns, and some awful Best Westerns. This falls somewhere in the middle.

We arrived requesting an early check-in. (It was about 1:00 PM). They had no problems accommodating us - I will say that the service here was excellent. When we arrived, the hotel was empty. Consequently, it was also very clean

The architecture of the Hotel was very dated - the exterior looked like it was designed in the seventies. However, the available amenities of the Hotel were great, at least on paper. It had an outdoor pool, plus an on-site full service athletic club, which included a jr olympic pool. Once again, these were dated, but clean and adequate - that is, until the evening.

At about 5:00, I went to the front desk to get a pool towel, which were threadbare and faded. While there, a very angry woman went to the front desk asking to see the parking lot surveillance video - her car had just been broken into! They gave her necessary phone numbers to call. When I asked where the safest place to park was, he said to park right in front of my room (each first floored room had a sliding door that opened up to the parking lot). Once again, I asked if that was safe, and he said so long as I don't "leave anything attractive to steal" in my car. We left the car empty.

I grabbed the towel and first went to the indoor pool. It was rowdy and crowded, so I went to the outdoor pool. Big mistake. This was rowdier and more crowded, with people flicking their cigarette butts into the pool. Classy. The pools weren't for me, so I headed back to the room. By this time, the hallways were a bit dirtier, with pizza boxes and empty beer cases in the hallway.

The room was OK. The bathrooms looked new, with new tile and fixtures. The carpets were cleaned. The bed was adequate, but did have the plastic covering the mattress, as one reviewer previously stated.

Overall, this hotel reminded me of eating at a Golden Corral, with a similar customer base. When you walk in, you think that you are getting a lot for your money, but once you pass by the buffet, there is very little you are willing to put onto your plate.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
akron
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2008

I spend 30-40 nights a year in a hotel and every time I am in Columbus I stay at this hotel. If you are looking for sheer luxury or full room service, this place is not for you. However, I stay with my husband and kids for various sporting events and appreciate the easy location, the indoor and outdoor pools, the continental breakfast, the helpful front desk (especially Keisha) and the family friendly atmosphere. I do not know where some of these reviewers are coming from. I am from a rural area and have never felt that there was a dangerous element or trashy clientele. For $80 a night I am more than satisfied with my experience.

• Liked — Convenience and staff
  • Disliked — Double beds instead of queen
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Cleveland, OH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2008

We booked through Orbitz and paid about $55 a night for two nights, plus almost $30 in taxes. And "okay" about sums it up.

It was moderately clean; the beds were moderately comfortable. When we got there, the room was terribly hot; we wound up keeping the a/c on all night (in February!), but it got cold, later, and we were able to adjust the heat to be comfortable, but not too hot.

No smell of smoke -- and my husband would smell it if it were there!

The TV was terrible. No PBS, TLC, or HGTV. Four or five sports channels, though! My husband went to a conference and I stayed in the motel (a treat for me), and I got more work done than I usually do in such circumstances, as there was nothing at all to watch. That's good, I guess....

WiFi worked great.

There's a restaurant called Spain on the first floor. The menu looked a bit pricey for us -- entrees about twenty bucks each, which is more than we usually spend. A Bob Evans right near got some of our business.

Continental breakfast -- coffee, juice, toast, bagels, Danish, three cereals, hard-boiled eggs. Okay, if you're not into low-carb.

I didn't hate or love it.

• Liked — Location -- near where our children live!
  • Disliked — Television -- cable, but few channels, and bad ones, unless you like sports.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Columbus North? Share your experiences!