“Clean, Quiet, and Comfortable” 5 of 5 stars

748 Jaeger St, Columbus, OH 43206   |
Ranked #2 of 20 Columbus B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Clifton, New Jersey, United States
“Clean, Quiet, and Comfortable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

I chose the German Village Guest House because the places I normally stay in Columbus were either booked or had a more expensive rate. Plus it was nice to say in historic German Village rather than boring downtown or out the suburbs. The way I look at it, even though I'm travelling for business doesn't mean I can't have a mini little vacation, and that's what staying at German Village Guest House felt like. The house was clean and welcoming when I arrived straight from my flight. It felt like I was staying in someone's home. I loved the outdoor garden, and look forward to spending more time enjoying it during my next visit. My room was decorated nicely and the bed was very comfortable. My favorite part was the modern bathroom and the complimentary robe. I'm a sucker for a fluffy robe, what can I say. Also, the location is key. There are a number of restaurants and bars within walking distance.

In the morning, there was a nice continental breakfast laid out in the kitchen with fresh baked banana bread, berries, fresh coffee, cereals, and fresh fruit. It made it easy to grab something and head straight to the office, which was a quick 10 minute drive away.

I would highly recommend The German Village Guest House. I've stayed at the Hilton in Easton, The Loft downtown, and the Weston downtown, and this place by far was the most comfortable and best value. I plan on staying there every time I'm in Columbus in the future.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

This B&B was pretty good, and I would go back. It had flair, was very clean, and nicely managed. I wouldn't say the furniture or appointments were particularly high quality, but they were new and tastefully assembled and provided a comfortable environment. The bathrooms were very modern and good (only slight design oversights, such as a lack of counter space, but not an insurmountable problem). The breakfast was a simple buffet. Easy enough to find your way to something edible. Personally I thought most of the food was below par -- a mix of absolutely insipid produce (nice looking berries, zero flavor) and chem-food (synthetic bake goods, hormone-flavored milk, etc) -- but I very much doubt you could do better given the region. On the nice was the back garden. It has an outdoor fireplace that must be marvelous in cooler months. While I've mentioned several negative things in this review, I really would go back. For the region, this is pretty darn good!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
San Anselmo, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

Full disclosure, I am a hotel snob. I've been spoiled at some of the nicest hotels in the world and I'm hard to impress. German Village Guest House managed to blow me away from the moment I stepped inside my insanely spacious, gorgeously-appointed suite. My husband and I visit Columbus once a year and we were expecting the usual Columbus lodging mediocrity, instead we found NYC loft-like interiors and special touches like chocolate chip cookies and iced tea.

We stayed in Whittier Suite #1, which is a large one bedroom apartment equipped with a sitting area, bedroom, stocked kitchen, and stunning bathroom. The walk-in shower in the bathroom is delicious -- pebbled floor, rain shower plus hand-held nozzle.

Even though there is no front desk you have the cell number for the owner in case you need anything (such a personal touch). We spoke to him a couple times and he was simply lovely. The location is perfect -- you have Jeni's ice cream around the corner and Old Mohawk just a few blocks away. YUM!

The only thing this place did not have was bath amenities, so bring your own shower cap and body moisturizer. But trust me, I'll take amenities like the free breakfast left in my own kitchen and thoughtful emergency items like saline solution and tampons any day! We are already planning on booking this suite and the one above it in September.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Akron, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

My wife and I had stayed at this property a year before we got married for a weekend away and absolutely fell in love with the area, the property and the experience at the German Village Guest House! This year, as a celebration of our wedding weekend, we returned to the Guest House exactly ONE YEAR TO THE DATE of our first visit. We've had the privilege of staying at both the Whittier Suite and the Guest House and loved our experiences at both! The cookies awaiting us were delicious and the atmosphere is amazing. There is a local restaurant, Lindey's, which is awesome as well and we've gone back several times to that place! Overall just a magical experience and we will certainly be making this a tradition!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Guest House for our wedding night, and we could not have been treated better. The house was cozy and friendly, and our breakfast was amazing (hint: Try the coffee cake!). German Village is a neat neighborhood with lots of great shopping and food (Schmidt's was our favorite place to eat). We highly, highly recommend the German Village Guest House to anyone looking for a romantic place to stay or simply touring the area and wanting to avoid the hustle and bustle of a hotel.

Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

We stayed in the Whittier Suite 2, which was gorgeously decorated, spacious, and very comfy. We loved the beautiful and fully stocked kitchen and were delighted by the fresh iced tea and baked goods waiting for us on arrival. It felt like a very fashionable home away from home, just a moment's walk from Barcelona, Schiller Park, & Jeni's Ice Cream. We look forward to staying again!

Twinsburg, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

We absolutely loved our stay at GVGH! Although it was a bit more than we normally like to spend on a hotel room, even my husband who travels frequently for work was pleasantly surprised by the accommodations. We would stay there again in a heartbeat! A great facility in a great location.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 1, right off the common living space. At first, I wasn't sure about being so...