“Great food, trying too hard for the ironic hipster vibe” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #144 of 1,992 Restaurants in Columbus
Cuisines: American, Vegan, Vegetarian, Sandwiches
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Melt Bar & Grilled specializes in gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches, fresh salads and homemade soups. We have 40 beers on tap and over 150 bottled beers featuring domestic micro-craft and imports. Vegetarian and Vegan friendly!
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Great food, trying too hard for the ironic hipster vibe”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

Ate her with a group of friends while visiting Columbus for a hockey game. The staff was friendly, we were seated quickly, and the service was pretty good. Each of us ordered a different sandwich and were all impressed, looking at their menu it doesn't seem like there would be too many choices that would disappoint.

You can tell by the décor and staff that they are going for the douchey hipster vibe, but are trying way too hard. That being said, this is an awesome lunch joint and I would recommend to anyone craving a good sandwich.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Columbus, Ohio
“Great location and fantastic food; loud atmosphere.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

I've been wanting to try Melt for a while now, and this week my husband and I were finally able to get down here. It's in a great location in the middle of the Short North, so that makes it a great place to pop in and grab something while shopping the High Street boutiques or during Gallery Hop. It's also rather large for a Short North restaurant; the dining room is spacious and the bar is long with lots of seats. The menu has lots of options, and it took a while to choose, but everything I had was delicious. I recommend the pierogi appetizer; the pierogi is great, but the onion/napa cabbage slaw that it's on is TO.DIE.FOR. I had the Cold Noodle #1 Salad with sauteed shrimp, and it was freakin' delicious...a huge plate of chopped greens (arugula, napa cabbage), lo-mein style noodles, avocado, tomatoes, and other things I devoured without identifying. The shrimp add-on was pricy at $7.00, but it was totally worth it. I had the honey lime vinaigrette and it was good, but almost too sweet with the shrimp. I wish I could have tried the thai chili vinaigrette; however, the server cautioned me away from it when I mentioned that I can't tolerate spicy foods, and I was grateful for her thoughtful recommendation. I can't wait to go back and try one of the melted sandwiches that they're famous for serving!

The one drawback of the place is that it is very very loud. My husband and I ate at the bar, and we couldn't hold a conversation because it was so loud. The restaurant is large, but it's on an open plan and there are no dividing walls between sections, so noise just resonates off of the ceiling. That doesn't detract from the food, but it's definitely not a place to go if you're wanting to talk with your dinner partners.

• Visited August 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Bigger "is" Better”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

Wow, this restaurant was recommended by a native local of Columbus. I took a large group here from out of town and all 15 of us went NUTS over the food. The sandwiches are HUGE, not only in size but in taste too! I had the "Cleveland Cheese Steak" and it was out of this world. My daughter had the peanut butter and banana and she said it was "Ohhh-Mazing." All the sandwiches that were offered to our large group was OVER-THE-TOP and Mario was the BEST Waiter! I can't wait to visit here again. It's just too bad I live 10hrs away. At least I can visit in my thoughts!

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Delicious”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

I can hogly recommend the "Cleveland Cheese Steak" Sandwich ... puts is Philly cousin to shame! The selection of beer was also sufficient to provide a flight of local micros. Enjoy!

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Milan, Tennessee
“Group of 34”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

We ate lunch, taking 34 people, mostly teens. We were seated fairly quickly, and our waiter was great! There were 4 at our table. Food was great, and portions large. We all seemed very pleased with this restaurant!