“Warning: Extremely unsanitary w/poor customer service” 1 of 5 stars

AAA Family Fun Package
Ranked #16 of 142 Hotels in Columbus
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
“Warning: Extremely unsanitary w/poor customer service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

AVOID THIS HOTEL unless your car breaks down in the middle of the night, in severe weather, and every other hotel in a 63 mile radius is completely booked. And even then, I would advise you to call a taxi and ride 63.01 miles to the next hotel. Yes, my experience was THAT bad!

I was a guest in this hotel from Nov 1-4, 2011. Throughout my stay I had concerns about the sanitary conditions of the hotel, and was highly offended by the poor quality of customer service that I encountered. Furthermore, the appliances in my room were in disrepair, and there was a wretched odor coming from the HVAC unit (which was also loud and barely worked.) The most egregious part of my stay was the way Hilton's staff minimized events, and was not solution-oriented. As a matter of fact, on several occasions, the staff displayed unpleasant and impolite behaviors, and were down right rude!

Allow me to elaborate... The room had large pieces of old food on the floor, the refrigerator did not work properly, the room's land-line phone was unreliable, and there were dirty sheets on the bed (and don't forget the room smelled badly.) I know the sheets were dirty because of their odor and the blond hair strands on them. My request to swap my broken phone for a working phone was refused. (The bldg engineer kindly inquired about whether I had a cell phone, and if it was working.)

It was an arduous and exhausting process to get these awful mistakes corrected. The majority of the staff I interacted with were incompetent and impotent, especially Deniz, who was at the front desk all night. Clearly, that particular room had no business being rented, and yet the staff NEVER offered to move me to another one, including the general manager! After I made him aware of my concerns, I had to ask to be moved to another room, twice, before it happened.

I expected better. We, as guests, deserve to be treated better. Please trust me and stay far away from this hotel. The quality of Hilton hotels is very inconsistent and I refuse to take a chance on them anymore. MARRIOTT will get ALL of my FUTURE BUSINESS. Hilton hotels are not worth the hassle.
-Mary W.

Room Tip: This hotel is not worth the hassle. Don't worry, there are many other hotels on the same block...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
hgipolaris118, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Columbus/Polaris, responded to this review, December 13, 2011
Mary,

I apologize for your experience at our hotel. I'm also sorry that you left feeling as if we had not been accommodating as I know our staff did their best to make sure you were satisfied, including upgrading your room as well as taking charges off your bill for the inconvenience. Our entire staff goes through extensive training to ensure outstanding guest service and we will certainly use your story as a training tool for the future.

Again, our entire staff apologizes for the inconveniences.

Guest Service Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Detroit, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

We stayed at this property on Friday the 28th of October. The room was fine and clean. Check in was a bit slow but no problems. It was a typical Garden Inn. My only criticism would be that they charge $10.95 for lobby breakfast. I think this is ridiculous since many hotels give you a free hot breakfast in the lobby.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Hello! Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I am happy to hear that you had an overall positive stay with the exception of our breakfast. The reason there is a seperate charge is because we are a restaurant where our guests can order an omelette, have coffee poured for them and have a large variety of hot and cold items. Most complimentary breakfasts only offer pre-heated eggs and whole fruit.

I invite you back to stay with us and I would be happy to give you 2 free breakfasts to show how great I truly believe our breakfast is. Please let me know when you have reservations at our property and I will take care of everything. Thank you so much and I look forward to having you as a guest again soon!

614.846.8884
sarah.voloschuk@hilton.com
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

We've been travelling through America and seen our fair share of hotels lately. However this one definitely was one of the best we have stayed at. The manager Sarah who checked us in and out is extremely efficient and approachable in a genuine way, and made us feel welcome from the beginning to the end of our stay.

The room itself was perhaps a touch dated with some funky carpet and picture on the wall but the bed was very comfy with adjustable settings, the air conditioning quiet at night, and above all very clean. Starbucks filter coffee in the room was a nice touch. Guest laundry available but not 24 hours.

For us the location was excellent - about 20min drive to downtown Columbus but situated in a business type area with stores and restaurants all very close by (including the Polaris fashion mall, cheesecake factory, a large barnes and noble, target, etc...). It was a great base for us for our very quick tour of a very nice area we hope to return to!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your kind words about myself and our property. I am so happy that you had a great time traveling through Columbus and hope that if you are ever back in the States, you will stay with us again. Thanks again!

Cicero, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

Hotel was very nice and very clean but bedding was hard as a rock and A/C-Heat was loud and inconsistent. Worst night sleep ever. Not recommended for overnight interstate stay unless you hit the bar to numb yourself up.
Positives:Clean, Bathroom, Decor.
Negatives: Very Loud and Inconsistent A/C-Heat. Bedding is made of stone--Fred Flintstone couldn't sleep here.
Return Stay/Recommend-No
Overall Rating-3
Scale 1-worst to 10-best

Room Tip: Stay at the Hampton Inn
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
hgipolaris118, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Columbus/Polaris, responded to this review, September 19, 2011
Hello,

My name is Sarah and I am the Guest Service Manager at the Hilton Garden Inn Columbus/Polaris. I am so sorry to hear about the bad bed experience you had at our property. All of our rooms with a king size bed have an adjustable mattress setting. It is possible that a previous guest preferred a firmer mattress while you may prefer a softer one. I am so sorry that you did not get a chance to experience our Garden Sleep System and I encourage you to give us a second chance the next time you are in Columbus for business or leisure. Thank you for being our guest and please let me know if I may be of any assistance with a reservation!

-------------
Chesterland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

When you stay at a Hilton Garden Inn, you pretty much know what you're getting: a pleasantly decorated room, wi-fi, coffee, flat panel TV, microwave, refrigerator etc. It is obvious that a lot of thought went into making the amenities most travelers want available in each room.

The Hilton Garden Inn is in the large complex of newer office buildings, shopping, hotels, and restaurants off of Polaris (it's actually on Lyra Drive, just off of that street), and has all of what you would expect from this chain of hotels. It is conveniently located for the north Columbus area. It's near I-71 and very close to dozens of restaurants and shopping, as well as to the other Polaris destinations. While it is not a pedestrian friendly area, we were able to walk to several nearby restaurants that included a Quaker Steak and Lube (terrific wings), Carraba's, Texas Roadhouse, and Fisherman's Wharf. Within a quarter of a mile you can find another 20 or so commonly known chains ranging from fast food on upwards. It might be a little far (another 12 miles or so) if you actually want downtown Columbus, but this hotel is well-located for many of the destinations travelers would want to visit.

While we were staying, there were three separate wedding parties staying as well. There was also a large crowd watching an Ohio State game on the bar/restaurant large TV. In the past, we've seen the hotel filled with guests intending to see a game live or to participate in events such as one for vintage cars. We've stayed here twice now while traveling as a family and had a pleasant stay both times.

There is ample convenient parking out front. The shower was hot and plentiful.

All in all, this was a perfectly nice place to stay.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Hello and thank you so much for your great review of our property! We agree that we are in a fantastic location as well as have all the amenities a traveler would require on a weekend stay. We hope to have you as guests again soon!

Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

clean,good location ,good breakfast,staff friendly and plenty of places to eat nearby.it is a well run operation

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
hgipolaris118, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Columbus/Polaris, responded to this review, December 23, 2011
Hello! Thank you so much for your great review of our hotel! We completely agree that we are in a fantastic location as well as have the fantastic staff to match. We hope to have you as a guest the next time you are in Columbus!

Greensburg, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

We have stayed at this hotel a couple of times and have always been treated great. One of our rooms wasn't ready yet when we arrived but they promptly brought up the keys to our other room when it was cleaned. Great service and a great location for a get away. Both times we stayed here there were conventions at the hotel. They were never overwhelmed with registration like many hotels get when everyone is arriving at similar times. The rooms are very nice and way above average in appointments. We will definately be going back the next time we are in the area.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of our hotel! We truly appreciate your complimenting the staff on keeping their cool during a busy time. We hope to have you as guests the next time you are in Columbus!

Guest Service Manager

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Columbus/Polaris? Share your experiences!