“a good spot” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
New York, New York, United States
“a good spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

The kitchen is open late and the beers on tap are numerous and very good. a nice spot to grab friends and have some good food. a nice choice on the menu and the right beers to wash it down.

Visited June 2013

Saint Charles, Illinois
“Great little brewpub right across from the convention center”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We come here for lunch during shows at the convention center. It's location can't be beaten. The food, beer, and service are all excellent. I especially like the wraps, and their burgers and imaginative and delicious.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Louisville, Kentucky
“Good food, mostly good service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We went in one evening and the kitchen was closed. The awesome staff, though, recommended some nearby places to grab a bite, which was much appreciated!

We went back the next night and were seated right away by the friendly hostess. I had the pork wrap, which was incredible. Highly recommended. The food runner was very friendly and complimented me on my meal selection.

Our server, however, was not the brightest. He was friendly enough during our meal, but somewhat rudely said "I don't understand what you're asking me to do" when I asked him to split the check (as in me pay for my meal, my boyfriend pay for his meal). There were only two of us dining, so I don't think that's an especially odd or unusual request.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Plymouth, Indiana, United States
“A Columbus MUST”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

I've been going to Barley's since 2002. It was always a weekly staple when I lived in Columbus, and now it's a requirement when I visit.

The atmosphere inside is familiar. It has that hometown pub feel, no matter if it's your first or fifteenth visit. Vintage beer signs on the walls kind of do it for me. I love that type of thing! Everyone is very friendly and more than willing to answer any questions. There's a firkin cask ale tapping every week- always worth checking out! If you check out their website (http://barleysbrewing.com/index.html) and scroll to the bottom, there's even a little chart to let you know when you expect heavier traffic inside the pub. It helps plan a visit a little better.

You go to Barley's Ale House #1 for the craft beer they produce. If your ideal beer is Bud or Miller, please don't go here. If you want to expand your horizons, then come on in. There's a special charm about craft brew, they have a soul. One of my favorite brews is the Blood Thirst Wheat (a Hefeweizen). It's clean, crisp, citrusy, and refreshing. That being said, my absolute favorite is the Raspberry Winter Wheat, available only in colder temperatures. It's light, smooth, and... well... raspberry! That beer alone made me fall in love with Barley's.

Next to the beer, there is the food. The menu has changed over the years, but not without some great staples. My personal favorite thing (and has been for over 10 years) is the Turkey Nut Burger. The ground turkey is blended with pecans to give it a wonderful texture- and served with a spicy mayo. I don't even like mayo and I can't get enough! Get that burger with a side of pierogies and you'll be satisfied for days. The fish and chips are equally amazing, as are any of the gourmet dogs.

The location is pretty much perfect. On High Street- just North of Downtown right at the entrance to the Short North. In fact, the North Market is right behind Barley's! It's across from the convention center and close to many hotels in the area.

All in all, Barley's is a place that's very close to my heart. Go for yourself and make your own connection.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Once Was Enough, Thank You”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We stopped by because my husband had visited Barley's on a few business trips to Columbus. When he said, "Looks like they changed the menu," w3e should have walked out. The food went 0/4 - no one liked their meal of chicken wings, a burger, fish & chips and nachos. It seemed like it was 90 degrees in the dining room, which might explain why the beer was warm. It is located directly across from the convention center so I assume they rely on business from people who are there on business, and are not likely to go back. Will we go back.... No.

• Visited May 2013