“Good food, good value” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Good food, good value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

This was my first time at BL, and I would go there again. We got the buffet. The buffet itself doesn't have a wide variety of selections but that is no issue since you are first served a series of appetizers. We liked all of those except the one with mint water. One issue that affected my friend was that most of the dishes were too spicy for him. I found them just right but then I enjoy spicy food. For those who need their food prepared mild, I suggest you order off the menu. Friendly service too.

Ohio
“Wonderful food and lovely service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I had eaten at this restaurant before and loved it, but recently I went to pick up food for my son who has been in the hospital for several weeks. I must say that this food was sent with best wishes and care for my son. The lady who helped me told me that this food will help my son get well because of the spinach. She told me they use fresh spinach and this will work for him! I believe her- and we loved all the food we ordered!

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Columbus, Ohio
“Outstanding options for vegans”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

Attended a cooking class here given by Kamal, the owner, followed by a buffet dinner. The class itself was specifically geared towards a vegan group and we were shown the rudiments of various dishes - from dosas and chapatis to dessert. The food was fresh and tasty, and the class was fun. I think it would appeal to anyone who enjoys Indian cuisines, not just vegetarians.

I had driven by this location dozens of times before and never had been there before. It's sort of tucked away in a stripmall. I will definitely be back. This place is a hidden gem.

Not sure if the other reviewers hit it on an off night, but I thought the service was fine. Attentive but not ovebearing-

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Cary, North Carolina
“Below Average Quality Food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

We were visiting Columbus, and wanted to eat Indian food and decided to try this restaurant.
This restaurant is situated next to an Indian grocery store, and the ambience and environment inside the restaurant is below average.

We went early at about 5 pm and told the waitress that we needed to place order for items that would be prepared fairly quickly. She was helpful in identifying items that could be ready in about 15 to 20 minutes. She said that the kitchen was tied up with a large catering order for 175 people, and she would do the best she can to get our orders through. She tried to encourage us to try the buffet, but there were very few items in the buffet and we skipped it. Also, it appeared as if the buffet items had been sitting there since lunch hour.

The quality of the masala dosa was below average, the sambar was bland. The quantity of items (chutney, sambar) with my dosa were very small. My son ordered pani puri, and the puries were so tiny and so flat, and some were fried for too long and had turned dark brown, we had the most difficult time trying to stuff the pani puri.

I am not sure how other reviewers rate this restaurant as being excellent. Perhaps their service and food quality varies depending on which day you go, and if they don't have a large catering order? I honestly would never visit this restaurant again.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Authentic and vegetarian”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

My wife and I love Indian food, but sometimes, we want more than just a curry or biryani. Banana Leaf specializes in southern Indian-style, all vegetarian, some vegan and gluten-free street food. The flavors and textures are unlike what you find in your typical curry. If you go, definitely try the Diwali buffet. It's the best deal, and features an amazing mango lassi! Enjoy the appetizers (our favorite is the first puffed rice one...) then head to the buffet. You won't be disappointed. Plus the service is great.....I don't understand why anyone would criticize the owner, he was very hospitable and checked back frequently to make sure we got more of our favorites and to answer questions about each dish.

• Visited January 2013