“needs some work” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Columbus, OH
“needs some work”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We went to the 94th Aero Squadron for our anniversary for the Sunday buffet and hadn't been there for about 10 years. The exterior was quaint as was the decor. The problem started with our seating. We waited for about 15 minutes and then were taken outside to a table in the sun. When we told him we preferred inside he said the wait would be another 20 minutes, but we insisted that outside wasn't going to happen. He noted a table for 2 in the corner, although there were a number of tables in booths that could have easily been cleaned.

The biggest problem was the dirty table cloth that had seen other messy customers that day. I thought that was really gross. Food and greasy remnants.

The food was in a good area and there was certainly plenty of variety but the quality was like one would expect from a place like Golden Coral (haven't been there for about 20 years). I am surprised that anyone would consider this good food, but then some folks who judge buffets are more volume consumers. This place seemed to attract a lot of celebrations of 5-10 people, which would make it nice for occasions.

The service was okay. Cleanliness and elimination of flies is necessary before I would ever consider recommending this place.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Columbus, Ohio
“What a Change”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I wrote a review on this restaurant about a year ago and it wasn't very good, someone must have heard me. The Sunday brunch was very good this time. They have moved the food into areas the made it quite easy to access, the food was fresh and good. The variety was everything one would want for Sunday brunch. I've always liked the atmosphere. Prices are a little steep but well worth the food value. I'll be back

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Vincent, Ohio
“Back Again After 25 Years”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Our son was five the last time we ate at the 94th Aero Squadron Restaurant located just off Hamilton Road in Columbus, Ohio, on the backside of Port Columbus International Airport. From all we could tell, the old barn (I kid you not, that's how they've fixed the place to look) hadn't changed much. The WW I ambience and WW II music was much the same. (That old Glen Miller was really great, wasn't he?) The ancient war relics parked outside looked a little worse for the weathering, but the French country inn ambience was still as warm and fascinating as I'd remembered.

Inside, the tables and booths look out through large, modern windows at a taxiway and a far-off runway, reminding diners the planes outside no longer had propellers. The noise was tolerable, though. A couple nearby with their two preschool children brought back memories of how much our son had enjoyed eating there. Back then, they had earphones at each booth so you could listen in on (supposedly) live radio chatter from the tower. Those seemed to be absent now (for security reasons, perhaps). Their website indicates there are seven other such restaurants at various airports around the country (too many to list here). We've eaten at only one other such place (St. Louis) too many years ago to recall much in the way of details, which would now be irrelevant in any case.

Like any good "frenchy" restaurant, wine was highly recommended (we don't imbibe). I chose an Italian entrée, chicken parmesan, while my wife, I believe, had a steak. We were on vacation so we didn't pay much attention to the cost, though suffice to say it wasn't cheap. Dusty, musty old barns are expensive to maintain nowadays. The food was good, adequate, at least, though nothing special. Of course people nowadays don't drive out of their way for such fare (and the signage to this place is not exactly Las Vegas neon). You go to the 94th for the atmosphere, although, for us, once every 25 years for a heavy helping of nostalgia is quite enough.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Swing and a Miss”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We thought the decor was quaint, reminiscent of a French country farm in WWII. However, the atmosphere was musty, making the place smell "old" the day we visited. It seems like the management may not be able to keep up with the indoor and outdoor maintenance.But what was most memorable was that everything seemed to be bathed in butter. Even the steak was swimming in a butter! Not what you expect when ordering a rib-eye. The chicken dish was no different, even though I was expecting a sauce. I feel bad writing this, because I think the menu and the WWII French farm concept has real potential. But the food must be better and the grounds/interior must be kept up if charging $17-$22 for a meal.

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
“Average in the extreme”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Went on my own for a steak and a beer. The service was lacklustre and not the usual friendly charm im accustomed to in the USA. The place was a little dirty with a thick layer of dust around my booth. The place was interesting and had a charm though a little chintzy. The steak was ok served with some simple boiled veg.
I think this place may suit an older group looking for a nice quiet evening in a nostalgic environment. Im only 42.

Visited June 2013