“Service very good; food OK” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
J. Gilbert's Wood-Fired Steaks & Seafood is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 1,863 Restaurants in Columbus
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, Bar, Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hwy 23
Description: J. Gilbert's is an "upscale casual" steakhouse serving prime-aged beef cooked over a mesquite wood-fired grill. Guests enjoy various cuts of steak, fresh seafood (including award-winning crab cakes) & other house made favorites like the Maytag Bleu potato chips & Chocolate Velvet Cake. The cozy atmosphere includes fire side dining, rich wood, brick & soft lighting where you can enjoy a quiet table or host a large party. The extensive martini & wine list offers the perfect compliment to an excellent meal delivered with attentive service. J. Gilbert's is open for dinner 7 days a week. Reservations are recommended.
“Service very good; food OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

Place was OK. For a place that specialized in steaks, I was really surprised that the steaks were not thicker. Still, there were pretty good Just nothing exceptional.

Visited May 2014

Powell
“Decent Food, Terrible Waiter”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

My wife and I usually eat at Ruth Chris or one of Mitchell's restaurants, but saw the good reviews and decided to give this place a try. The "fresh" mozzarella in the caprese salad was not fresh....tough and chewy. Eww. I ordered my filet medium rare with a "push" towards medium, but it came out rare, and the accompanying crabcake was small and dry. $39 for the (small) filet/crabcake combo. The mashed Yukon potatoes were great, as was my wife's halibut ($37). We don't get out much, but when we do, we like going to higher-end places and don't care what it costs. Still, these guys are overpriced. The atmosphere is a bit pretentious, and our waiter was just terrible. Stocky guy with a beard with zero personality, just in case the management is reading this. Asked us how our food "looked" seconds after another waiter actually brought us the food, but never asked us how our food tasted at any point. He seemed to disappear for 10-15 minutes at a time. I had to ask other waiters to fetch him for us twice. Took forever to get our second round of drinks. But lo and behold, when we asked for our check, we got that within 30 seconds, without being asked if we wanted dessert, coffee, etc. We definitely will not be going back to this place.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
China MI
“wonderful experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

We visited on the Saturday before Easter as we were in town for the weekend. We made reservations & when we arrived we were seated promptly. My husband & I both ordered from the prix fixe menu; choosing a app, entrée & dessert for only $39. For the apps we ordered the wedge salad & crab bisque which were both excellent. For the main course we had a petite filet w/ crab cake combo & a 6oz filet. The filet were both cooked medium as requested however they both had too much of a char on the outside & the crab cake was excellent. For desert we ordered the cheesecake & the coconut cake; we both thought the desserts were sub par for such a great restaurant as the other food quality was very good. Also, the bread they serve was excellent. Our server was very professional & offered suggestions. We would definitely return if we're in the area but wish they would improve their desserts, especially since I'm a dessert freak!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Westerville, Ohio
“Best steakhouse in the area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

This is my favorite place for steak. I've been coming here for years and have always had excellent meals and excellent service. My favorite item is actually not on the menu but is usually offered as one of their "specials" and - on occasion - has been served as an off-menu special request and --- that's their "trio" which consists of 3 - 4-oz filets served with 3 different toppings (mushrooms, blue cheese and hollidase sauce). Couple the trio with some poblano au gratin potatoes and some aspargus and you've got just about the best meal you can order. AND >>> this is really important when ordering a good steak -- this place knows how to cook a steak. If you order it RARE - it comes out nicely seared on the outside but RARE on the inside. Not medium rare but RARE.

The Maytag chips are so good that when a friend was visiting from out-of-state - all he could remember was that he wanted to go back to the restaurant with the fantastic Maytag chips. That what he remembered.

Despite the fact that I always order the "trio", I've dined with others who have ordered a variety of steaks including the 24-oz porterhouse and the 14-oz bone-in strip steak and those were also reported to be fantastic.

The wait staff is outstanding - very attentive without being too intrusive - they always seem to be there when you need a refill on water or a fresh drink but they never seem to be hovering around the table.

I've been here for drinks at the bar and admit that the service can be a little challenging during happy hour but I've never had bad service -- even at the bar. And - I've been here for dinner on numerous occasions and have always had outstanding service. This is a great place for business meetings/dinners and is always an excellent place for a romantic evening with your special someone.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dayton, Ohio
“glorious restaurant week meal!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

To our overall benefit, I skipped straight to the most expensive per meal tab on Columbus' Restaurant Week. The meal selection looked phenomenal, and turns out, the experience sure was! Inventive cocktails, delicious salads and soups for starters, and our steaks were out of this world! I love restaurant week for exactly this reason, and I would definitely re-visit J. Gilbert's again. Tip: it is a little on the pricey side, so use it as a splurge moment!

• Visited January 2014