“Food quality and service utterly hopeless!!” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #213 of 1,863 Restaurants in Columbus
Cuisines: Greek
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Food quality and service utterly hopeless!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is my second visit to this restaurant and certainly the last. Food was horrible the second time. We went back after the first visit since we liked what we ate and the service was decent as well. This time around both chicken dishes were bone dry ( we ordered the same things as we did during our first visit) , so dry it was difficult to swallow, order took forever, despite being the only ones in the restaurant. We informed the server that the same food tasted very differently this time around, to which she simply said the cook may have been different this time around. Being Greek restaurant you would think they would at least give you a small side if tzaziki, they did the first time, but not this time and charged us extra for it. This restaurant is okay if you are willing to be adventurous with food, and don't mind unpredictablity. I don't mean unpredictably good food though.

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Columbus, Ohio
“Consistently good food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

I have never had a bad food experience and my last visit was no exception. My daughter and granddaughter took me there for my birthday and we all enjoyed our dinners. Some favorites include their Spanikopita (spinach & feta pie), Dolmades (stuffed grape leaves), Pastitsio ( Greek version of lasagne), Scallops, and Kouribedes (almond cookies).

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Munich, Germany
“Great food and you will get plenty to eat.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

My wife and I took our son and daughter-in-law to the Mad Greek before leaving town. I had the grouper salad. When did i ever have half a grouper on a salad. Never! We had fetta cheese fried and mushrooms as an appetizer. Two of us had gyros. My wife usually stays away from lamb after living in the Middle East but not on this day. She loved it. Lots of messy and delicious.
The interior surroundings are humble but it works. This place gets busy at lunch time.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Conway, AR
“Fabulous!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

If I lived in Columbus The Mad Greek would be a centerpiece in my lunch rotation!

From the outside, it doesn't look like much, and it can sometimes be very crowded, but if you are looking for authentic Greek - not Mediterranean - food, this is it!

Family owned and operated, from the first time we dined there, I felt like an old friend. They have an extensive menu with everything from Tabuli Salad to homemade baklava. I had the Gyro Platter yesterday, and the Lamb Kabobs today, and both were delicious.

In general prices are very good, making this a high-value dining experience. One caveat, the Lamb Platter is quite a bit more expensive than most of the other menu items.
We enjoyed excellent, personable, prompt service on both days.

If your timing is good, and you miss the crowd, you can be in and out in a snap. But if you hit it with the crowd, you will have to cool your heels, but IT IS WORTH IT!

If I return to Columbus, I will NOT miss an opportunity to return to The Mad Greek!

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Belton, Texas
“good selection, good food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

First time, I got waylaid by their takeout counter and ordered takeout when I meant to dine in. If you're going to sit down to eat, take a right after entering into the dining room, they have servers to wait on you. I had Mousaka one trip and pan-broiled snapper on the second visit, both good.

Visited June 2012