“I love Udipi” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Indian, Vegetarian
Stuttgart, Germany
“I love Udipi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

I love eating at Udipi. The lunch buffet is great, but try to go early for the best quality food. On holidays this place is packed with a line going out the door. The food is all vegetarian and South Indian. I highly recommend getting the buffet so you can try everything. There are several reviews about poor service. As one other reviewer said, it's "minimal service", which I find to be very common among authentic Indian places. The people who work here haven't adapted their behavior for the American market. Of course, this doesn't excuse rude behavior, but I've never had any issue with them.

• Visited June 2013

Pennington, New Jersey
“Improve your service and quality of food to get a better rating!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

I hope the title of my review tells everything! The samosa was dry, sambar was watery and chutney did not have much flavor. Rasamalai tasted old and sugary. The food was nothing like what we get from udipi cafes in south india.

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Miamisburg, Ohio
“Long wait for an ordinary food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

The service, reception was pathetic to start off with. I had gone there with 9 of my friends & our orders took more than 75 minutes to reach us. The management did not even care a damn. No water refill was offered too. We ordered Kancheepuram Idli, Pongal and different Dosa's.Dosa's were good and nothing to complain, but Kancheepuram Idli and Pongal was Awful. *Kancheepuram Idli is not a normal/usual idli colored yellow with Cashew, Corriander leaves decorated at the top. I am from Kancheepuram and it was pathetic to see people claim this colored Idli as Kancheepuram Idli. Please visit Kanchipuram and have good Kanchipuram Idli to see the difference yourselves. * Pongal's consistency was bad too. Rice wasn't properly cooked and the rice wasn't mashed as it should be in a Pongal. Sambhar was justtoo watery. Aviyal was excellent though. On complaining to the management about the delay and the food quality, manager said it was because of their employee shortage and did not even apologized. This is not the first time this has happened to me. This is in fact the second time, I had this reception. I had ordered Dosa's then and escaped. Verdict: If you are prepared to wait for more than an hour and eat a very ordinary food, then this is the place for you.

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Dallas, Texas
“Great food, slow service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I had vegetable curry which had an excellent curry sauce and the mango ice cream. The food was wonderful, the service, not so much. I was the only one in there and it took a really long time to get not only the food but also the ice cream. What would cause me to wait 10 minutes for a scoop of ice cream when I was the only customer?

The restaurant probably makes most of its money with the daily buffet, but the evening customers are important, too.

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ohio
“We love this place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

My husband and I took our family here two years ago on the recommendation of some Mennonite friends. It is one of our Columbus favorites ever since. We were able to go again last weekend. My husband was so thrilled with the food, he made the unprompted comment that "the food was so good, it was WORTH $100." I will tell you he is a bit of a tight wad, so he never says things like that! The food is spicy, but an excellent flavor, and despite other Americans whining about no meat, we all were really, really full. There are at least two signs outside that make it clear the restaurant is pure vegetarian. I guarantee you will not miss the meat. The service is friendly, though not effusively so, but that is ok with me, because I am tired of having my conversations interrupted by American 20-somethings asking me how is everything. Our waiter described the dishes and sauces, refilled our water, asked if we wanted dessert, and delivered the check to my husband at the register as soon as he asked for it. We usually ask to be served family style, and share our meals for a fun variety.

• Visited January 2013