“Average, at best” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Traverse City, Michigan
“Average, at best”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

I decided upon Barley's Smokehouse instead of the other brewpubs which are located downtown, as there was a hockey game going on, so I knew they would be jammed and parking would be tight. I was sorry I did.

The beer I drank at the smokehouse was average at best. I opted for the four-beer sampler and none of them impressed. The two IPAs in the mix I selected were mild and the other two beers equally unremarkable. As my entree, I chose the barbecued chicken which was small, dry, and devoid of any meaningful barbecue flavor. The accompaniments were fair--the French fries were not freshly made. The barbecued beans passable but nondescript.

Service was slow at first--it took some time for my server to arrive despite the fact that it was a slow night. That said, he was friendly and accommodating.

Thus, I can't think of any compelling reason to return. There is better beer--and better barbecue--to be found elsewhere.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Columbus, Ohio
“Scotch and BBQ, what's not to like”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

I went here with work colleagues and had an enjoyable time. I liked their samplings of scotch for their scotch flight samples. The wait staff was friendly and personable.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Solid food on cold plates”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

After reading a somewhat mixed bag of reviews, a colleague and I decided to go to Barley's for an early dinner. We arrived around 5:30pm to a pretty empty restaurant (it's pretty big) and were promptly seated. Our server was there pretty much immediately and took our orders / got us our beers quickly. The IPA was drinkable and the baby backs and brisket were as advertised... solid quality meat, "done" appropriately and topped with a BBQ sauce and additional dipping sauce on the side. The mashed potatoes and green beans were appropriately cooked and well flavored and presentation was nice. Service was attentive without any undue waits (as I would hope, with an empty restaurant).

What threw things off was that they serve the food on cold plates. I'm downgrading my "very good" opinion on food / service (it's not a 5* restaurant, so expectations were exceeded on that front) overall because of the !@# cold plates... there's really no excuse for a restaurant that's focused on serving dead critter (i.e. - not a salad place) to not warm their plates - cold plates = cold food. C'mon - if "high end" burger joints can warm their plates... then really...

Would I go back? probably - would be nice if I came back to warm plates and hot food - especially since they do have the meat quality and seasoning down.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Columbus, Ohio
“best brisket in town!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

We go to Barley's about twice a month and are always pleased with the food the service and the beer. I truly believe they have the best brisket in central Ohio. The rest of the BBQ is good but the brisket overshadows the rest. They also have a pretty good fish and chips.
There house brewed beers are all quite good especially the hoppier brews.
For dessert the chocolate stout mousse is very good and light after a full meal I highly recommend..

Visited September 2013
Zanesville, Ohio
“Great food and Atmosphere!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

A group of friends goes to a quilt show in Columbus every year and we meet at Barley's. I look forward to each year and try something new. First of all, their beer is great. I am not a grits person but I tried their shrimp & grits in tomato gravy and it was excellent. Hats off to them. I have only had it once in the South while traveling and they have them beat on taste. Everyone ordered something different and there were no complaints at our table of 13.

• Visited June 2013