“Great food, horrible service” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Smith & Wollensky is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #165 of 1,994 Restaurants in Columbus
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Private Dining
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: New Bond St.
Description: A door to another time. The antique stained oak revolving door lets guests know they’re about to enter a world of timeless luxury and gracious hospitality. The flagship of the elegant Easton Town Center, the multi-story iconic green-and-white building offers an atmosphere that is refined but never fussy. Whether you’re planning an intimate gathering or a festive soiree, our multitude of vintage-inspired dining rooms and casual bar offer a welcome place to enjoy good company.
Omaha, Nebraska
“Great food, horrible service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

Great food.....absolutely terrible service! I was traveling on business with two work colleagues and recommended based on experiences in other cities. As per usual, the food was amazing, but I was honestly embarrassed that I recommended this to my co-workers due to the service we received. It began at the door, when greeted by what appeared to be a manager. When we inquired about a table, he said they were full and that we could sit in the bar (which we expected on a Friday night during the holiday season). While we discussed whether we should go to the bar or look elsewhere, he made a snide comment about "you would probably enjoy it better in there anyways"! It wasn't the comment by itself, it was the manner in which it was said that made the comment insulting. It was as if we were being judged for wearing nice jeans with button down shirts tucked in to them. We decided to look past the comment and sit in the bar. After being seated, the busboy got us a round of waters, and the server got me a glass of wine. After that there was waiting. And more waiting. And even more waiting. 30 minutes later, with no contact save the busboy filling up water glasses and offering more bread, we finally flagged down our waiter. He approached the table and started to take our menus but not our orders. He asked if we were doing okay as he was doing this, and we said we would love to order as we are getting hungry. After our server's surprised reaction, we ordered, the food came out, and there wasn't any more interaction with our server until the check was presented. We were not given steak knives (which one of my colleagues took to mean that the steaks would be so tender we could cut them with a butter knife...understandably false), and had to flag down someone to get them for us. When the bill came we learned two things: that our server's name was Craig and that the prices on the bill were different than the prices in the menu. It turns out that we were given lunch menus instead of dinner menus, and therefore didn't know the prices (nor did we see many of the items that were on the dinner menu). We paid, tipped based on the fine work of the kitchen and support staff (bussers and backwaiters) who likely are tipped out by the server, and left. Save the valet wishing us a goodnight, we were ignored by the management at the door as we left (which based on our observations at our table near the entrance to the bar was not the usual...a thank you, generally a handshake to the men and even sometimes a hug for the ladies). Finally, a note sent to Smith and Wollensky's website addressing our concerns went unanswered. Sad to see that such a great chain in other cities has mediocre management in Columbus. Tarnishing a great brand! When you pay that much money for a meal, the experience is just as important as the food. We had great food, but the trip left a bad taste in our mouth

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Chip M, General Manager at Smith & Wollensky, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Kevin,
Thank you for your feedback. On behalf of my Service and Culinary Staff of the Columbus Smith and Wollensky, I would like to formally apologize for the experience that you had dining with us. I would like to speak to personally about your experience. Our restaurant is built on the foundation of great food and amazing service, anytime we fall short, we need to know. I thank you for giving me the opportunity to learn from this and assure you it will be addressed. Please let me know of a decent time to reach you. If it is easiest, feel free to email me at cmullen@swrg.com. Again, thank you for your email and I look forward to speaking with you.

Chip Mullen
Smith and Wollensky

Ohio
“Attentive service, excellent food & drinks~”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

Easton in Columbus is a wonderful shopping mecca. If you can't find it here, you probably don't need it. Tucked away in the center of Easton is Smith & Wollensky. So you shop, stop in at Smith & Wollensky for a martini, shop some more and end the day with your favorite cocktail, snack or meal. With frequent visits, I can tell you the food is superb, the service is extraordinary, and the cocktails are very pleasing to the palate!

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Not as good as I'd expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

We were staying in the area and wanted to shop at Easton Town Center so we decided Smith & Wollensky would be a good place for us to have dinner. We made a reservation and when we arrived we were taken right to our table. I was surprised how empty it was for a Saturday night (and on a big shopping weekend - the day after Black Friday). After getting our drinks, the server took our order. We got salads and soup to start. While having our starters, we noticed that everyone else was getting bread. I asked the server if they had bread and he apologized saying that he forgot. My fiance really enjoyed his lobster bisque soup. I had the filet mignon and my fiance had the filet oscar. Both were just okay. I really expected better but that's not to say it was bad. I was underwhelmed with this experience. If we are back in the area, I don't know whether or not I would give this establishment another try.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Chip M, General Manager at Smith & Wollensky, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Good afternoon,

I was just reading your 'Tripadvisor' review; I wondered if you may speak with you personally in order to gain more information. (i.e. server, order, table ect.) I hold our staff to the highest accountability and I use these reviews as a training tool to better inform them. I do personally apologize for your experience however and I would like to invite you back in to show you what we are fully capable of. Let me know of a decent time to speak to you or if you prefer to email this is my address. Thank you again for your time and attention.

Chip Mullen
Smith and Wollensky, Columbus
Columbus, Ohio
“Somewhat disappointed in S&W experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I've been to S&W a number of times but the last two times I feel like I was very underwhelmed with the experience. This summer I went with friends and my steak was average at best. The piece of filet I received was a sloppy cut and the flavor was just OK. Same experience for my husband and our friend. The time before that the same friend and I went at Christmas for a shopping lunch and we ordered expensive wine and shared some things but same deal...it was just OK. For the money you spend there (and I'm perfectly fine spending money on a nice meal) it wasn't totally worth it to me. This year I think we're changing restaurants for our Christmas lunch because of our last two visits.

Visited August 2013
“Celebration”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

I work for Hy-Tek Material Handling and the company is celebrating 50 years of business. In doing so we had a celebration dinner for 38 people at Smith & Wollensky in Columbus Ohio. Scott Kistler who is the catering and events planner at S&W was instrumental in helping coordinate this event. Every detail was perfect, from the servers to the wine!! Thank you to S&W for a wonderful
evening, this was an event the we will remember and talk about for years to come.

• Visited September 2013