“Cream puffs” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 2,022 Restaurants in Columbus
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: German, Californian
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Dessert, Lunch, Buffet, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Ohio
“Cream puffs”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

It really is a place for a Bahama Mama and beer. I have been to this place a dozen times over the last 30 yrs and it is always the same. The beer is cold and the Bahama Mama mild is good. The vanilla cream puff is the best and large enough to share. Our kids got the pork shank and both said it was excellent. Long wait for a large party on Friday night but probably not any longer than other place in the city. If you are near enough, just walk as the parking in German village is terrible.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Best with the music”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

I was a bit leery of this restaurant being a typical tourist operation. That went away as soon as I went through the door. If you can go when there is live music playing it really enhances the experience. The food and the service was fine but together with the music it was very memorable. I can hear the music as I am writing this. The beers (note the plural) hit the spot and went well with the warm pretzel nuggets. We ordered a number of dishes and shared. Schnitzel, meat loaf, and the cabbage rolls with potato salad, sauerkraut, etc. All were fine - prepared properly, served warm. The desserts are sinful. You are full from the meal but you have seen the desserts and cannot resist. We shared some cream puffs and the chocolate cake. Better to eat here when you plan on doing some walking afterwards vs. climbing in a car and driving for awhile. Great experience1

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Lawrence, Kansas
“Good food....service, not so much.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Schmidt's would have gotten 2 more stars if the service were more stellar. The quality of the food gave it the third star. Granted I was there for the buffet and didn't expect the kind of service had I ordered off the menu. What I got however, was lacking.

After walking in the door, the first thing I was met with when I went to the hostess' stand was the hostess with her back to me talking on and on to another employee about something personal going on in her love life. When she finally turned around, she wasn't apologetic or acted particularly interested in seating me.

Once seated I waited for an inordinately long time before a waitress came over to take my order. I didn't find the buffet on the menu and had to ask her about it. So I'm getting and refilling my food, no big deal; however, my drink was never re-filled nor did she ever come over to ask if everything was alright.

Then the waitress gets my dessert order wrong. On the way to get the correct dessert, she stops and talks to the table next to me filled with three clamorous older women who were having issues....meanwhile, my dessert was melting.

Then after getting some take-out from the front counter, the clerk couldn't make change correctly for a simple order.

I attribute this all to hiring inexperienced staff and not training them properly. Like I said, my meal at Schmidt's would have been much better with better service.

The food was good, and I'll be back. I saw more experienced wait staff there so I'm sure my second trip there will be better.

A side note about the three clamorous older women......While gorging themselves on the buffet, I heard all about their medicare problems, hip replacements, and vision insurance. Once they finished with the main course(s), they ordered desserts and had them put in to-go containers, telling our waitress that they'd only eat half of them in the restaurant and take the rest home. Ok, no problem.....until they ate the whole dessert and then filled up their to-go containers with food from the buffet.

It was certainly a memorable meal!

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Delicious German food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

My husband had the lunch buffet. He ate sausages and hot german potato salad to his heart's content. The buffet also included a fresh salad bar and sauerkraut. He loved the Bahama Mama sausages and the Bratwurst. I had the Potato Soup (yummy, hot, creamy) and a house salad. They also had some delicious looking huge cream puffs, German Chocolate cake, and other great looking desserts, but we were stuffed. :)

Visited October 2013
El Paso, Texas
“Great place for some German good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

The schnitzel was thin but the sauerkraut was good. Can't go wrong with the beer selections. Be advised that Sunday brunch buffet is the best, however depending on your arrival you could wait over an hour for a seat

Visited September 2013