“Great” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 141 Hotels in Columbus
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Guest Services the best I have experienced period & that includes many Four Seasons Hotels I've stayed. Super management. Beautiful, clean hotel. Best in Columbus, with a great location, bar & restaurant. Christian & his staff work hard & my kids loved the weekend there.

• Stayed February 2013
Christian C, General Manager at Hilton Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you for the kind words. Your gracious compliments are sincerely appreciated. The credit goes entirely to the team.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
New Haven, CT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

This line from the HBO series "Veep" occurred to me several times during my stay at this new, stylish hotel, which seems to have been staffed almost entirely by individuals with zero hospitality experience. From the painfully slow check-in (the woman stared at my credit card, seemingly having no idea what to do next) to the large ball of hair prominently displayed in the shower stall, it's just been blunder after blunder. We're holding meetings here and had to conduct the first half hour with Muzak blaring because the hotel employees had not idea how to turn it off. I had to make a follow-up call after waiting for room service for 45 min -- and then the delivery person was very nice (to be fair.) I then called to have tray taken away (since i have an injury that prevented me from putting it in the hall myself) and called repeatedly for an hour to no avail. This morning my phone showed a message, so i called the front desk and was told that they did not get a credit card from me when i checked in and so would I go to the front desk and show a credit card. Are you kidding? Do you also share my lack of confidence in your own staff and believe that someone would give me a room key without a credit card? Coffee was brought into our room late ("running a little behind") and then a member of the catering staff barged into our interview with a candidate to refill, even after they had been told to only enter the room during pre-determined break times when the door is open. Rooms are beautiful and overall the hotel is trying to look hip (although the design does not all hang together so well), but it feels like opening day rather than four months in. Don't stay here if you use a wheel chair or similar because the carpets are too thick so it's very hard to get around.

Room Tip: Make sure they don't stick you in one of the many interior roooms, where you only see the lobby...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Christian C, General Manager at Hilton Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your constructive feedback as we are constantly striving to improve upon our product and services. While I give full credit to the team for their great passion and service oriented attitude, as General Manager I personally accept all responsibility for any failures and would have welcomed the opportunity to address them in person. I have come to expect nothing short of the extraordinary from the team and deeply regret if that was not the case during your stay. We did experience a mechanical fault with the sound system in the room which required a defective piece of equipment to be replaced the following day. The banquet staff did their best under the circumstances to move the group to another room so the meeting could continue, but realize this was an unexpected disruption.
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Very stylish and beautiful new hotel. The staff are all top notch - very professional, friendly, and knowledgeable. The French bistro style restaurant has a wonderful menu.
We were on the 12th floor with an outside facing room - very modern, meticulously clean, and the bed was incredibly comfortable. Location was perfect - close to the convention center, and the North Market is right around the corner.
The parking lot is right behind the hotel, but can be a little confusing to find your way around it.
The gym has the most up to date equipment and is very airy and welcoming. The pool and jacuzzi looked very nice, but I didn't have a chance to enjoy them.
I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Columbus. They truly exceeded our expectations.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Christian C, General Manager at Hilton Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thank you for your note and so glad to learn you enjoyed your stay. I particularly appreciate the compliments regarding the attentive service you received from the team. We are working to improve the signage in the self-parking garage and have made some headway, but will continue to work on it. For future reference, please be aware that we also do offer valet parking as an option as well. Hope to welcome you back again soon.
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

The new Hilton Downtown Columbus is a beautiful hotel, located in the Arena District and Short North area of downtown Columbus. Key points to mention about this property are as follows:

~New, so everything is in pristine condition
~Beautifully and uniquely decorated
~Clean (with the exception of a cheese ball found under one of the chairs in the living room area). No bed bugs!
~Beautiful room lighting (reminiscent of the Conrad Indianapolis) - provides bright lighting when needed, or a softer lighting to create a romantic and peaceful ambiance
~The King Executive Suite provides 1.5 bathrooms, a living room area, a small fridge and wet bar, and a large bedroom with closet (highly recommend paying extra for the space).
~Comfortable furniture
~Outstanding food (we ordered room service twice - breakfast and dinner). Both meals were excellent, as was the service provided by the restaurant staff. The meals were generous and reasonably priced
~Direct TV provides a lot of channels, including 4-5 HBO channels
~Provided us with lots of towels
~Provided us with many amenities such as mouthwash, body wash, shampoo, conditioner, etc.
~Nice large, walk-in shower
~Beautiful views of downtown Columbus

The following items were the reason I could not give this hotel a five rating. If there were only one or two 'issues', I probably could have overlooked them. However, taken as a whole, I believe these issues detracted from our overall experience:

~Even though the Web site currently shows (under amenities: http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/ohio/hilton-columbus-downtown-CMHDWHH/accommodations/suites.html), that there is a movie channel (on-demand) movies available in the room, this is incorrect. There is NO in-room/on demand movie channel in the room. Yes, there are several channels to choose from, including 4-5 HBO channels, as well as many activities near the hotel; however, if you are looking to relax in the room by yourself or with a significant other and/or family, you will need to find something you can all agree upon to watch on the channels provided. The Web site needs to be corrected unless/until a movie channel is actually available in the room.

~This hotel is environmentally friendly, which my husband and I are completely in agreement with (we both drive small, fuel-efficient cars; we recycle, we have used CFL lighting for years, just to name a few). However, when we stay at a nice hotel and pay over $200/night for a room, our comfort should be the biggest priority for the hotel. The air in the room is locked at 68 degrees. Most hotels lock the air at 65 degrees, which is the temperature my husband and I prefer to have it for sleeping. The room temperature (especially at night) was not overly comfortable for us.

~Sound acoustics were not very good. We expect to hear people in the hallways. However, we heard people above us walking around throughout the day and night (we were on the 11th floor...there are 12); and we could hear entire conversations in the rooms on either side of us (not just voices...actual full conversations).

~Valet Parking is confusing - The majority of hotels we have stayed that provided valet parking, you drop off and pick up the vehicle in the same location. If the pick-up is in a different location, the front desk, concierge, and/or valet will let us know. Not the case here. After we checked out, we went to the location we dropped off our car. The valet passed us on three different occasions, but did not say anything to us. It was obvious we were waiting for our vehicle (we had called down for it prior to leaving the room), as we were standing there with keys in hand, luggage by our feet. There was also a woman and her two kids waiting for their car as we were. After roughly five minutes, I noticed cars going by the opening of the garage (where valet is located), and told my husband we should look out front. Sure enough, our car was parked out front of the hotel. It would have been nice had someone bothered to mention to us that pick-up is located in the front of the hotel, rather than in the garage were we dropped it off.

~There is one question I expect to hear when I am checking out of any hotel, but especially higher-end hotels, and that would be: "How was your stay?". I am amazed (and bothered) by how often I am not hearing this question asked upon check-out. I am not sure whether the front desk personnel assume we are in a hurry and do not wish to hold us up; if they have not been trained properly to ask this question; or if they just truly do not care. The fact that we stayed two nights at their property (and are HiltonHHonor Gold members, which, by the way, was not acknowledged upon our check-in), we just expect to be asked how everything was. This is the second time in the past few weeks we have stayed at a Hilton property and the front desk personnel failed to ask us how are stay was. Regardless of whether we are HiltonHHonor Gold members or not, that question needs to be asked to everyone staying at the property. The front desk personnel were friendly enough, but nothing that was over and beyond as some of the other reviews have stated. We must have gotten the not overly friendly members of the staff upon check-in and departure.

If you decide to stay at this hotel, I think overall, you will be pleased. If you are staying as a couple, I highly recommend the romance package. I also recommend splurging and reserving the king executive suite.

Room Tip: Splurge for a King Exec. Suite and Romance Package
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Christian C, General Manager at Hilton Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Thank you for your very thorough review and candid feedback. It is much appreciated. I am sorry for any confusion on the movie channel. I checked the web site and the room descriptions note: “Two 47-inch HD TVs offer 65 stations, with premium channels and your favorite sports packages.” While the amenities list does state “In-Room Movie Channel,” this is how DirecTV classifies HBO and similar. This should not be confused with “Pay-per View Movies” but will see how I can clarify that further in the future. All rooms have individual guest-controlled thermostats offering both heating and cooling on a year round basis. The front desk can easily over-ride any setback ranges should you have other preferences. I apologize for any confusion on the valet parking. The entry is one-way so the drop-off is out front and should have been explained to you when the car was requested and apologize if that did not occur. Like-wise, we value your feedback and the front desk should inquire but we do want the process not to feel scripted either so the representatives have leeway so that the conversation flows more naturally. Again, thank you for your note and hope we will welcome you back soon.
Columbus, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Stayed for a romatic night at the new Hotel. It did not live up to our expectations. The room was small, the Dish TV sporadically worked, we never could figure out how to order in room movies. For the price, I will stay at the Hampton Inn up the street or the Hyatt across the street. Rooms there are bigger and the cost is less.

Room Tip: Stay at the Hampton Inn, It's in the Hilton family and you can accumulate Honor Points.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry you did not completely enjoy your stay. The DirecTV system provides a more residential feel offering over 100 channels including 65 in HD plus “guide” button and music stations which far exceeds the typical hotel experience though it does eliminate the pay-per-view movie option. Our bathrooms with walk-in showers are much larger than most though this can shave off some space from the bedroom portion. Hard decisions to make, but we felt that the pluses significantly out-weighed the minuses.
Columbus
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I don't often write hotel reviews, but I do check them on TripAdvisor before booking any reservations. This hotel is truly noteworthy. From the moment we walked into the lobby from the time we checked out; we received nothing but exemplary service. The hotel manager on staff at our check-in, Brad; was extremely helpful and made us feel welcomed and valued. Hotel was spotless and our room was no exception.
The hotel is convenient to restaurants and the North Market; which we enjoyed several of the offerings there.
Breakfast buffet was very clean, and the food preparation was perfect. Food was served hot, in small batches, and the general area was extremely clean and efficient. Dining staff was top notch. I would highly recommend a stay at this hotel and we are definitely planning a return visit in the near future. For anyone questioning a stay here, please do not hesitate. You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Self Parking was no problem. Location is convenient to great restaurants and the North Market...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Christian C, General Manager at Hilton Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Glad you enjoyed your stay and dining experience in Gallerie Bar & Bistro. Your gracious comments regarding the attentive service you received from Brad are sincerely appreciated. I have taken the liberty of sharing it with him. We look forward to your return.
Dublin, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Wonderful staff throughout the hotel. Location is perfect, within walking distance of some of the best restaurants Columbus has to offer, but there is no need to leave the hotel to find some of the best food in Columbus. The Gallerie Bar & Bistro is second to none in Columbus when it comes evening dining. It is run by one of the top chefs in Columbus, whose restaurant, Sage, is definitely worth a visit. The food at the Hilton Gallerie Bar & Bistro is definitely not typical hotel food. Bread is baked in-house as are the croissants and the butter is house-made. The bar section is a great place to sit and relax and offers 50% off during happy hour which includes appetizers from the outstanding dinner menu. Dining here is definitely a cut above other Hiltons worldwide. I certainly hope they can maintain the quality. Breakfasts are pretty much Hilton buffet quality (for the better Hiltons, like the Hilton Americas in Houston, which I consider quite good) with the exception of the house-made croissants and danish which excel.
Also within walking distance is the North Market, Jeni's ice cream and the shops in the Short North, none of which should be missed on a visit to Columbus.
The room we had (1234) had windows on three sides with great views, was comfortable, clean and had very modern decor. The bathroom was a very decent size with a large shower, no tub. Executive lounge was not open yet, but looked promising. We'll be back to check it out.
The pool is an indoor heated pool overlooking High Street. Great for the kids.

Room Tip: The rooms on the south side have good views, but there is a train that goes by. Didn't bother me...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for the nice note and glad you enjoyed your stay. I particularly appreciate that you recognized that we are striving for Gallerie Bar & Bistro to be a progressive part of the great dining scene here in Columbus. Due to some construction challenges, the Executive Lounge has been delayed but should be opening in the next month or so. In the meantime, we have extended full breakfast privileges to our Gold and Diamond Hilton HHonors members in the Gallerie. We look forward to your return.

Been to Hilton Columbus Downtown? Share your experiences!