“Not Impressed” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 141 hotels in Columbus
Lakewood, Ohio
“Not Impressed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I was not impressed my first time here, but thank goodness for second impressions. I try not to write Hilton hotel reviews, being that I am a Hilton employee, but I was so impressed on my second stay at the hotel that I had to comment about it. The hotel is very beautiful, chic, and modern. The decor looks like like something out of an interior decorating magazine. I normally don't like staying at full service hotels, any brand, because the staff usually is not that friendly. That is not the case here. Anything I needed they supplied. Staff was very friendly and always greeted you which is very important to me and the gentlemen were well groomed(even the bellmen). Sure it was a little more expensive than the some of the other hotels, but I'd say it was worth it and the fact that it is located with in walking distance of the Arena District and the Short North Area. I'd highly recommend this hotel to anyone. Great job, guys! ONE NOTE THOUGH: if you use a delivery service for food do not use D.P. Dough. The worst service ever, ghetto is the word that comes to mind and the food gave me the runs. Their service of this pizza place does not align to the image and service of the Hilton Columbus Downtown. ANOTHER NOTE: If you don't have a car and don't want to walk North High Street, the #2 runs frequently as is $2 each way.

Room Tip: You may want to ask for a view. My room was facing a brick wall. Not that I'm complaining.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Christian C, General Manager at Hilton Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Thank you for your note and glad you enjoyed your stay. Indeed I am most fortunate to work with such a team of service-oriented professionals. I also appreciate your feedback on the outside pizza delivery. I am sorry you didn’t completely enjoy your first visit but see it was just shortly after we opened. The team has made remarkable strides as we mature and become more familiar with the building which takes some time. I am confused about the heading, however. It appears you were impressed with the hotel and the staff. Any way of correcting that as it is a bit misleading? Thank you and hope to welcome you back soon.

584 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Tucson
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Beautiful new hotel. Rooms were comfortable with wonderful pillows. Staff was very friendly and always offering to help and say hello. Meeting rooms were very nice. Decor of hotel, rooms, meeting rooms and common areas was outstanding. Two small complaints: As usual, the more expensive the hotel the fewer the services. For $200 a night you should get wifi in your room like they do at a Comfort Inn. Also, the heat in our room did not work well. With the fan setting at "Lo" or "auto" it continuously blew cool air in our faces while in bed. Had to get up twice in the middle of the night and finally had to turn "off" to stop it. Should work better at a brand new hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Christian C, General Manager at Hilton Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comment on the heating system and sorry we did not have an opportunity to address it during your stay. We are still adjusting and tweaking new systems. We also do provide complimentary wifi service within all public areas of the hotel including the Hilton Connectivity Station on the second floor which features four terminals and printing free for guest use though there is a charge for the convenience of in-room connection. We sincerely appreciate your kind words regarding the attentive service from our team members and hope to welcome you back soon.
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

My husband surprised me with an overnight stay for New Year's Eve at this beautiful hotel. All the staff from the valet and front desk personnel to the servers and bartenders in the onsite restaurant are very attentive and super friendly.
This is not your typical cookie cutter convention hotel. The design and decor of all the public areas makes it stand out. The collection of artwork is outstanding.
I loved that the guest rooms have more of a boutique feel, like a W or an Andaz but half the cost. These rooms would be great for a longer stay. There are plenty of drawers for storage including drawers under the window seat which is a nice touch.
The Gallerie Bar and Restaurant on the 2nd floor has wonderful, inventive cuisine and a very nice wine list. We also had the breakfast buffet and it was good as well with cooked to order options in addition to the standard buffet fare.
This place is great for a romantic staycation and I would love to return.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and glad you enjoyed your stay. We are honored to be part of the New Year’s Eve activities in the Short North and bring a new destination dining option to the neighborhood. Gallerie Bar & Bistro has just been recognized by “Columbus Monthly” as one of the best new restaurants! We look forward to your return visit.
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Very nice, new hotel located by the convention center and just south of the Short North area. The decor and green technology were super cool. I would definitely recommend this hotel to other visitors.

Room Tip: Get a exterior room
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the nice note!
Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

I was staying @ the Hyatt &this chic sexy hilton opens the same weekend great bar food &location. I'll be back in February so will stay there with my honors pions. Loved the location to restaurants bars & attractions!

Stayed October 2012
Christian C, General Manager at Hilton Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
We look forward to your return in February! The Gallerie Bar & Bistro has burst into the Columbus dining scene with rave reviews and was just featured as a Best New Restaurant by "Columbus Monthly."
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I stayed with my husband at the Hilton Columbus Downtown from Friday December 28 - Sunday December 30, 2012. This is a brand new hotel that just opened in October 2012. Our room was beautiful but a little on the small side. We had a room that opened onto the inner portion of the hotel. You may want to request a room with windows to the outside for a better view. We could see directly across into the other rooms! In addition, the bathroom did not have an exhaust fan nor did the very large shower have a bench. Our king bed was extremely comfortable and had several different pillows from which to choose.

Breakfast buffet was $18 and was nothing exceptional--you could have eggs and omelets cooked to order. Internet was also extra unless you are a higher level Hilton Rewards Member (I am Blue) and of course parking is extra. On the positive side, this hotel is located within walking distance of many bars, restaurants, the Arena Grand Movie Theater, Nationwide Arena, Huntington Park and the North Market. My husband and I ate at Rodizio Grill-The Brazilian Steakhouse, visited the North Market and walked to the Arena Grand Theater. It snowed the weekend we were there and I can say that the sidewalks in the area were nicely plowed!

The staff that we encountered were very professional and helpful. However, we were away from our room for about five hours on Saturday late morning/afternoon and when we returned our room had not been cleaned. Within 10 minutes of our return a card was slipped under our door saying they could not clean our room because it was not available. I was a bit disappointed by this.

I would definitely recommend this hotel because it is beautiful, new and clean with a wonderful location that allows you to be within walking distance of much of what downtown Columbus offers.

Room Tip: Ask for an exterior view!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your note and glad you enjoyed your stay. While there is not an exhaust fan switch, all bathrooms have a centralized exhaust system exiting to the roof that is part of the overall hotel ventilation system and should not be noticeable if working properly. Housekeeping will not enter a room with a “do not disturb” hanger on the door, but if this was not the case, my sincerest apologies and appreciate you bringing it to our attention. Of course, there should be daily housekeeping service.
Columbus
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at the new Hilton Columbus Downtown for one night. The hotel is gorgeous. The lobby is sleek and welcoming, with great artwork everywhere we looked. Due to my husband's diamond status, we were upgraded to a suite, which was great - in addition to the standard bedroom/bathroom, there was a sitting room and an extra half bath. The decor in the room was very contemporary, with several pieces of art from local artists. The bed was amazingly comfortable. The bathroom was large, and I loved the shower. Because the hotel is so new, everything just seems really clean and fresh.

We had some drinks and a cheese plate down at the bar - and even though it wasn't really publicized anywhere, when we got our bill we were thrilled to find out that it was happy hour and prices were half off! All drinks, and all appetizers and half off (I think from 4 until 7?), which is great! I would just recommend publicizing it somewhere. The next morning, we ate at the breakfast buffet, which was very good.

The location of the hotel is perfect. It's just across from the convention center and right next to the North Market. You're within steps of some of the best dining Columbus has to offer, and within blocks from tons more. The amazing location, the beautiful rooms with an emphasis on local art, the sleek and modern decor, and the freshness that comes along with being brand new, all combine to make the Hilton Columbus Downtown the nicest hotel in downtown Columbus. We will certainly be back the next time we're looking for a hometown getaway.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Christian C, General Manager at Hilton Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write of your recent stay. We were honored to be your host and glad you enjoyed your stay. We have been trying out a number of ideas in the restaurant and now that we have begun to lock in on the specifics will start promoting more internally as well as externally. We look forward to your return visit!

Been to Hilton Columbus Downtown? Share your experiences!