“CLEAN and spacious, and a friendly staff, but not exciting!” 3 of 5 stars

Drury Inn & Suites Columbus Convention Center
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   88 E. Nationwide Blvd., Columbus, OH 43215   |
Ranked #11 of 140 Hotels in Columbus
Silver Spring, Maryland
“CLEAN and spacious, and a friendly staff, but not exciting!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for one night for a business trip. My room was VERY CLEAN -- in fact, the whole hotel smelled of disinfectant when I walked into the lobby at 5PM to check in. (Maybe they had just mopped the floor, but the smell was pretty overwhelming!). Comfortable bed and a large room. Even had a microwave and a small fridge. But my window looked out onto an inner courtyard below rather than looking at the outdoors. Very claustrophobic! It had a skylight, but it was frosted, so you couldn't see anything, just diffused light. Furthermore, the courtyard/room below was filled with discarded lamps, stacks of paintings propped against the walls, and a trolley of cleaning products. A sign indicated that they were doing some renovations, but nevertheless, it was NOT a nice view! Especially annoying because it was a nice evening, and I would have liked to see the SKY and the nice, puffy clouds!

From 5:30 to 7 PM, they have free snacks and drinks in the lobby, which is very sweet -- and I was even given a card when I checked in that entitled me to three free alcoholic beverages. But the glasses were plastic, and the food was....well, how can I put it? The mac 'n' cheese was tepid and not very good. The hot dogs were hot, but the buns were stone cold, and the only veggie choices I saw were carrot and celery sticks.

Breakfast the next morning was standard free breakfast fare -- scrambled eggs that I'd swear are powdered, very thin sausage patties, dry biscuits. Maybe I should have had the dry cereal and milk!

Finally, it was frustrating that the small hotel pool wasn't open early in the morning for a pre-checkout swim. Only opens at 9, so business travelers are kind of out of luck.

Not a bad hotel, and had the virtue of being very clean, and the staff was very nice; but I had Hyatt-envy: The Hyatt is on the other side of Columbus' Convention Center. You could definitely do worse than stay here, but it won't be the best hotel stay you ever had, I can almost guarantee....

Room Tip: Definitely ask to have a room with a window that looks onto the outside.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Cincinnati
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

This is a very nice looking hotel. Checked in went smooth until we got to the room. Walked in after playing softball all day and wanting to take a shower and relax until i looked on the bed. There was a used condom on the bed and tissue paper and a towel with blood all over it on the floor. Thank goddness i wasnt with my kids. Had to lug everything back downstairs and the lady was like are you sure. And i said yes i took pictures. Given another room on the same floor. Took a shower and went down to the lobby for a drink and i forgot my ticket. Asked for one at the desk and the front desk lady says you have already had a drink so i will mark it off your ticket. Really for the nasty stuff i just saw. Some young lady had thrown up all over the lobby, Entry Way, and elevator from a hard night of partying. Beds were soft and breakfast was nice. The bloody towel and condom just ruined it for me.

Room Tip: My friends room had a view of a storage area.It looked like it used to be a Atrium.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
DruryHotels, General Manager at Drury Inn & Suites Columbus Convention Center, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Dear Bearcatfan50,
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review about your stay at our hotel. While it has taken me longer than usual to reply, I definitely appreciate all of the feedback I get as it helps me to ensure that we are delivering on our promises.

I apologize that you encountered as many issues as you did while staying with us in Columbus. Embarrassed does not begin to describe how I felt about hearing the condition that you found your first room in. Needless to say this is unacceptable and I would be extremely frustrated if I were you. With regards to our alcohol policy, Drury Inns does have a specific procedure to ensure that all guests remain safe. For that reason, we do limit the beverages to three per adult. I apologize if that wasn't made clear to you upon arrival and it is something that we can work on.

If you could please contact me at your earliest convenience, I would appreciate it. Here at Drury we have a Guarantee Policy and I want to make sure that we were able to make up for our mistakes. Thank you for your business and please don't hesitate to let me know if I can be of any additional assistance to you.

Hospitably,
Scott Bosak
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

We had five travelers staying in two rooms. We had one room with two queen size beds and one with a king. Both rooms were equipped with mini-refrigerators and microwaves. Both rooms were extremely clean. Although both were non-smoking rooms, there was a faint odor in the one with 2 beds. All of the common areas we pleasant and clean as well. The showers were outfitted with dispensers for body wash, shampoo and conditioner.

Parking is in a secure area. The location is close to OSU, Ice hockey rink and minor league baseball field. It's a great area to walk around in, lots going on. Tons of restaurants and bars close by, too.

The front desk staff was EXTREMELY friendly. Scott was a great help with information about the area. Popcorn and soft drinks are provided at no charge in the evening. The complimentary breakfast was good, too. The pool is quit small. We didn't swim but there were quite a few people there when we looked in, so it was very crowded. We were only there one night, but would definitely stay again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

It was a nice hotel. Rooms were big and clean. Staff was nice. It was so busy with a lot going on so it made the lobby seem crowded and understaffed. I would stay here again, just not the place if your not into a lot of people around.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

From the moment I arrived the staff was kind and helpful, repeatedly checking to make sure everything was meeting or exceeding my expectations. Excellent location next to convention center and a short walk to the delightful "short north" neighborhood. Breakfast included, and a little cocktail hour at 5:30, just made my trip that much easier and enjoyable. Will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed July 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

I stayed at the Drury inn while I was in Columbus taking the bar exam, and the stay made a stressful experience much more pleasant. When I was checking in, the front desk clerk wished me good luck on the exam. I had mentioned that I was taking the exam when I made my reservation, but I was very impressed that it had been noted and mentioned during check-in. The room was absolutely immaculate, and was very spacious and comfortable. The hotel offers some great amenities, such as free Wi-fi, a free hot breakfast, and a cocktail reception where you can get up to three free drinks. The breakfast was just OK, but you can't expect too much from a free breakfast.

Overall, my experience at the Drury Inn was great. The staff is extremely friendly and will go out of their way to make your stay a great one. I would definitely recommend staying at the Drury Inn.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

One reviewer said that this hotel has been updated. Thank heavens it needed it. However, even without the updating, I love this hotel. How can you go wrong with a free (drinks!) manager's reception with snacks and a hot breakfast buffet. This hotel is in the middle of downtown and walking distance to a lot of different places. I stayed here for my friend's birthday. We walked to the Arena Grand movie theater, then back to the hotel, then back out to hit the bars. Great time, great hotel. Will definitely stay here again.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Drury Inn & Suites Columbus Convention Center? Share your experiences!