“Mofongo like no other” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: African
S. Columbus
“Mofongo like no other”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2008

Ok well like no other Mofongo is found in Columbus Ohio. This little place seats about 50. It seems to be thinnly staffed by the two brothers and a waitress or two. In a time frame of about 6 months we have traveled from the far south end all the way up north to Cleveland Ave and I270 (just a block or two south then). We have done this 3 times now. Twice for lunch, this last time for dinner. Lunch was fantastic, carrebean nachos (plaintains like nachos), Mofongo with pork, and a side of amarillas (sweet plaintains) Ok I went bananas... My wife shared and got a great deli sandwich. We had to take alot home. Tres leche for dessert.
The second visit we had 2 orders of Empanadillas (crab and beef I think) and sandwichs and again brought some home. Service was slow that day, but Brian was the only one there waiting cooking and greeting.
For the New Year we thought we would go back. We were so glad to see it PACKED. I got a plaintain (taco like) salad (friday special) the plaintain chips were crispy and the beef seasoned flavorfully. My daughter had a awsome sandwich wrap and ate only half. My wife enjoyed another friday special Milanesa de Pollo (fried chicken breast with a little sauce and side of spicy rice) I may not have gotten that quite right. I was busy eating my big salad. Both brothers came out to see if all was well. We were stuffed AGAIN we took some home. All i can say it is worth a little drive to get there for a special treat. James Moore

Cape Coral, Florida
“Puerto Rican cuisine in Columbus”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2007

My wife and I were very pleased to learn about Costelos, a relatively new restaurant featuring the food of Puerto Rico. Columbus has many Mexican restaurants, some of which are very good. However, there are very few places that feature the cuisine of other parts of Latin America. We've been to Costelos several times and recommend it highly.

We especially enjoy the Mofongos (a mashed plantain ball served with a choice of several meat or seafood items). We also have enjoyed everything else we've tried at Costelos.

The restaurant is located at 6140 Cleveland Avenue in a strip center just south of I - 270 on the north end of Columbus.